About 4:101-103

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
arista

Post by arista »

Salam All

I Have very important question as I dig more on Quran. It is about 4:101-103, especially to Dr. Shabbir and Bro Arnold...

4:101: Why "darabtum" translated as moved not strike/hit just as 2:60?

4:102: if we state "them" in 4:102 refer to "kafaro" then the whole meaning will be diferrent, and "shola"
in 4:102 may refer to a peace treaty and they have to committed to it. So why "them" in "Wa-itha kunta feehim" suddenly refer to Messenger's people,
not refer to "kafaro" as written in previous ayah?

4:103: can "kitaban mawqootan" translated to stated treaty book (refer from 4:102 peace treaty) because of understanding from 4:102 above?

Can you all shed me some light?
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear brother,

Please remember that the context of every verse is extremely important. The same word may give us a different shade of meaning at different places.

Here is the rendition from QXPiv:

4:101 When you go forth in the land, there is no blame on you if you shorten the congregations of prayers, if you fear that the unbelievers may attack you. Those who oppose the truth are an open enemy to you.

4:102 When you (O Messenger) are with them and establish the congregations of Salaat for them, let some of them stand with you, and let them take their arms. Then, after they have received instructions, let them fall to the rear and let another party come that has not received instructions. Let them take precautions and their arms. The disbelievers want you to neglect your arms and other belongings so that they may attack you once and for all. There is no harm for you to lay aside your arms if rain impedes you or if you are ill. But take all possible precaution. God has prepared for those who oppose the truth, a humiliating chastisement.

4:103 Be mindful of God’s commands whatever state you are in, standing, sitting or lying down. And when you are once again secure, establish the congregations of Salaat. Joining the congregations of Salaat at the times appointed by the Central Authority is a duty to believers.

[Verses 4]
Wassalam,
SA
arista

Post by arista »

Salam Dr. Shabbir,

First of all, I've already have your QXP and it is good.

Now I'm focusing on 4:101. This one that I'm not satisfied with the rendition.

Dear brother,
4:101 When you go forth in the land, there is no blame on you if you shorten the congregations of prayers, if you fear that the unbelievers may attack you. Those who oppose the truth are an open enemy to you.

I think the sentence (in bold) is not complete. When people read 4:101 translation they always jump to conclusion that the Messenger is moving for a journey (just travel from one place to another). But when we see the arabic word, The God uses the word DRB not SYR which mean they are moving to make an assault/strike/to make an offensive battle with the enemy...

So I believe the correct rendition for 4:101 is

4:101 When you go forth to strike/make an offensive attack in the land, there is no blame on you if you shorten the congregations of prayers, if you fear that the unbelievers may attack you. Those who oppose the truth are an open enemy to you.

What do you think? Because I believe shola in this rendition refer to more than just "the congregations of prayers" when in the middle of war expedition...
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Arista,

'When you go forth in the land' is not a sentence, but it is a complete phrase meaning when you travel.

What is this 'Shola' stuff?! I think you mean SALAAT.

Read the Forum Policy. You must use QXP in your posts or keep your hands off the Forum.

That's it. No more arguments please.
Wassalam,
SA