How does the Quranic System differ from religion or society?

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Many books have been written on this subject, but let's go by them one by one.

What is the difference between a man-made system of politics and social structure and the one created by the Quran?

Is a society structured by a Scripture not just people following a religion, or is there a difference in goals and means?

These two questions are the ones asked by the secularists and the religious to those who believe the Quran promotes a Divine Socio-Economic system.

Let's see how we can answer these questions.

The participation of the whole Forum is asked.
Damon

Post by Damon »

As Salaam 'Alaiykum,

What is the difference between a man-made system of politics and social structure and the one created by the Quran?

For me, the biggest difference (of which there are many) is because the Quran is from Allah then it is the only perfect, most appropriate, and flawless blueprint as to how man should set up the social structure, laws and governing of the people.

Another big difference (at least in my estimation) is that the man made systems not only seek to take the One True God out of the equation when making laws and decisions, but that many of the policy makers arrogantly think themselves above GOD's Laws and that they have all the answers and GOD doesn't. I believe it may be total ignorance for some of them, but I also believe for most of them it is because they are the total opposite of what a Muttaqqi is supposed to be.

Is a society structured by a Scripture not just people following a religion, or is there a difference in goals and means?

I believe there is a difference in goals and means. I don't believe it is a a society of people just following a religion. I think we already see a society of people just following religion when we look at the people who uphold N2I, with different 'religious' schools of thought (sects) and mere 'religious' rituals but with nothing being done to benefit humanity or to establish Deen in the land.

The goal of people following religion (maddhaab) is a personal relationship with GOD but not with man and their man focus is on the next life. The goal of people following 'Deen' is in serving GOD, establishing the Deen and doing works for the benefit humanity and society. GOD KNOWS BEST as to how we can accomplish that and He tells us how in His Book The Noble Quran.

These two questions are the ones asked by the secularists and the religious to those who believe the Quran promotes a Divine Socio-Economic system.

Yes, and I think it to be very odd how neither one of the two have the answers even though they claim so. The one thing they seem to have in common, in my estimation, is that neither one practices true servitude to GOD Alone. One of them wants only this world and in the most corrupt way and the other wants only the next world in an equally corrupt way. The people who uphold the Deen as presented in GOD's Book want both worlds and seek them both in the Quranic Way. :)

Can't wait to hear others thoughts and views on this.

Wa 'Alaiykum As-Salaam,
Damon.
Quasim Hamdani

Post by Quasim Hamdani »

The best way to answer this question is to first determine the version of the truth that a man-made system references to define the political and social structures. In most recent history, Taliban used a combination of man-made doctrine, sprinkled with corrupted interpretations of the Qur-an, as their gold standard to devise a system of governance in Afghanistan. The Soviets used the teachings of Karl Marx and other writers as their gold standard to setup a system of governance. The modern secular systems of governance use natural freedoms as their gold standard on which governance is based. I believe these secular systems being to the Qur-an in intent and outcomes.

The Qur-anic system is at once straight forward and far reaching. At its core is the commitment to better the human condition regardless of geography, race, religion, and gender. The supreme constitution, The Qur-an, is used to derive secondary constitutions for the purposes of lawmaking and their enforcement for periods of time. These secondary constitutions can be refined, amended to take into account developments in human knowledge and further understanding of The Qur-an itself. The Qur-anic system assures basic human freedoms, however man-made institutions like religion, corporations, political parties, military, and government agencies are not allowed to influence and usurp these freedoms for tactical and strategic gains. Present day democracies adhere to the ‘on man one vote’ principal, in contrast, the Qur-anic systems is based on ‘one man one conscience’. Citizens of the Qur-anic systems only answer to Allah – this makes it incumbent on each individual to reach into their conscience before deciding on issues like war, welfare, justice, and community development. Allegiance to concepts like nationalism, patriotism, and others in injurious to the well being of the Qur-anic system. Qur-anic institutions like Salaat, Zakat, Saum, Hajj, mutual consultation, and steadfastness are the foundation on which a true Qur-anic system must be built.

First of all, the Qur-an is not just a scripture. If Muslims and others limit the Qur-an to the modern day definition of scripture, then we, who uphold the Qur-an, have failed it. All religious books in existence today are man-made – they make have not started that way, but that is where they have end up. Even Muslim today spend more hours reading the hadith literature – a scripture – than the Qur-an. Any ‘sacred’ writing is called a ‘Scripture’ and certainly ‘sacred’ is in the eyes of the beholder.

Qur-an is divine and it nullifies/annihilates the scriptures in existence today. Muslims need to learn to talk about, and discuss Qur-an, in an effective, logical manner. If we use the lingo of the Bible, Torah and other books to frame the Qur-anic arguments, then we bring Qur-an down to the level of these scriptures. Qur-an must be discussed as a system of life for the humanity; its key messages are: understand the laws of Allah operating in our universe, learn to live within these laws, engage in Salaat (in all its forms), support Zakat (in all its forms), learn to decide for yourself, be steadfast, participate in Saum, participate in Hajj, well being of family is your foremost responsibility, you must judiciously perform your duties towards the orphans, truthfulness in justice/commerce/oaths, engage in struggle to emancipate oppressed humanity, rigorously defend yourself, and continuously enhance your understanding of Allah’s law. These are not rituals and they require a collective, supportive system of governance to put into action. This is from the Qur-an. No other scripture even comes close.
May Allah Bless You.

Quasim