What is a NEW Moon?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
shez

What is a NEW Moon?

Post by shez »

According to all lunar calendars for full moon and new moon dates 2007, the NEW MOON in London (UK) is today (11th Sept).

http://www.new-age.co.uk/moon-dates.htm

My question is, would that mean we have a start of Ramadan tomorrow (12th Sept) or the NEW Moon means when the crescent is visible (in reality 2-3 days old moon)?
Please answer ASAP as I have planned to start fasting from tomorrow InshahAllah.

thanks
Thanks & Regards

- Shez
[Dust is my bed...]
Arnold Yasin Mol

What is a NEW Moon?

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Shez,

The Quran says when you SEE the new shahr/Moon/month then you start the Saum/abstaining.

But as Islam is a collective system and not an individual programme, it is important to stay in line with the family and community. Most start fasting accroding to their mosque or their country or for example with Saudi-Arabia. Choose for now what is dominant in your family or surroundings.

It would be best for the whole Ummah to decide on one country determining the sighting so we all fast and also end the Ramadan on the same day, this would be very good for the unity of the Ummah.

But we have a long way ahead of us...
shez

What is a NEW Moon?

Post by shez »

Thanks mate. can you plz tell me the verse number?
cheers
Thanks & Regards

- Shez
[Dust is my bed...]
shez

What is a NEW Moon?

Post by shez »

shahalam, bro, your reply did not help me at all. No idea what was your point...

Anyway, Bro Arnold, when you get a min, can you please send me the reference of that verse? Cheers

By the way, I have started fasting from today as my family is blindly following their local Mullah, we have some Turkish where I live (with my wife) and they are starting from today as well - not a single date even within 2 suburbs !!! everyone is doing whatever their "Mullah" or corrupt Saudi "Mullah" have told them to do so.

I'll InshahAllah celebrate Eid with family :-)
Thanks & Regards

- Shez
[Dust is my bed...]
Arnold Yasin Mol

What is a NEW Moon?

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Shez,

Ramadhan moubarak!

This is one of the main problems in the current Muslim society, there is no unity in anything.

The verse:

2:185 The month of Ramadhan has been chosen for this collective training since this is the month in which the Qur’an was revealed, a guidance for mankind, clearly explaining the ‘why’ of every Rule. And it is the Criterion of right and wrong. Hence, whoever witnesses this month should participate in the program of Abstinence/ shahida =witness/observe/experience minkumu alshshahra = moon/month/moonphase. But if any of you is sick or on a journey, let him practice Abstinence for the same number of days later. God desires for you ease, and He does not desire hardship for you. The postponement is to enable you to complete the period. The objective of this training is to establish the supremacy of God (on earth) for, He has shown you a well-lighted road, and for you to show gratitude.