Does such a translation exist?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
SE

Post by SE »

Assalaamu Alaikum,

I'm a young American Muslim. I don't know much Arabic, and haven't had room to take the courses in college. Becasue of this, my understanding of the Qur'an comes primarily from translations, websites, my father, local Imams, and other muslims in the community.

I've noticed tha every translation has a biased to it. For instance the QXP is more of a Tafseer and leans twards one meaning of a word, Yusif Ali's has a fundemtnalist slant, and ect. They have been very helpful, but I was wondering; is there a Tranlation based only on linguists? One that has a more open and general veiw, or at least a literal view. Or would it be better just to use a lexicon and come up with my own?
Damon

Post by Damon »

As Salaam 'Alaiykum SE,

To answer your question, I would say NO, there is no such translation. My sincere suggestion is to learn to read The Quran in its original language. You are on the right track if you are making use of an Arabic Lexicon, such as Lane's Arabic-English Lexicon [http://www.studyquran.co.uk/LLhome.htm]. Just go to the QRLT section of this forum to get the links to all sorts of Quran research and study tools.

By the way, until you reach the point where you are able to read STRICTLY the Arabic Quran, you will have to make use of the English translations available. In my opinion, translations should only serve as a starting point and it is my humble opinion that the QXP makes an EXCELLENT starting point for English readers.

Peace be with you,
Damon.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum,

SE, I agree a 100% with Damon. Next to QXP, we also highly promote the translation of Muhammed Asad, of Ahmed Ali and that of Muhammed Ali. All three were experts, and show how many translators are moving more closely to the Quranic thought.

Please email me at: arnoldjwmol@hotmail.com and I can provide you with these translations in PDF form. These will also be made avaible later on the new website.
SE

Post by SE »

Thank you both for the suggestions. My e-mail is mastersimon000@hotmail.com (I made it when i was 10, thats why it sounds childish) and i'll be sending you an e-mail about the translations. I will be taking Arabic courses insha'allah, as well as tring to understand the Arabic used in the Qur'an. Hopefully i'll be able to read the Qu'ran in Arabic one day, but for now i'll stick with translations.
Brian aka Reverted1

Post by Brian aka Reverted1 »

Greetings believers in Allah, His Book, and His Divine System!

There is an online literal translation available at http://yaqb.org/. Can anyone here attest to its accuracy?

Humbly,

Brian
4:100 "Anyone who emigrates in the Cause of Allah, will find that Allah has placed refuge and abundance in the earth..."
SE

Post by SE »

I think i've seen that site before when looking for translations. Here are two others.

http://www.answering-christianity.com/quran_search.htm
http://www.islamawakened.com/Quran/
Arnold Yasin Mol

Salaam Aleikum,

The "Literal" translation by Ahmed and Samira is in reality far from literal. They still have chosen the words, and everytime they chose the traditional ones. What they have done, is only to combine the traditional translations and make it look like you are looking at a "literal" translation. This is their version. It can be handy when you are still beginning to learn, but it falls so short, it is even scary.

For example, this is their version of:

1:4 Owner/possessor (of) the Judgment Day/Resurrection Day .
1:5 (Only) You we worship, and (only) You we seek help from .

So Malik can only be Owner/possessor? And Deen only Judgment Day/Resurrection Day? NO, far from it!!

And Ibadi is worship? No, far from it! It means service.

If they really made a "literal" translation, it would look like this:

1:4 Owner/possessor/controller/lawmaker/determiner/executer of law (of) Time/Day/Era/Period Judgement/requital/System/Religion/Order/Cause and Effect/Compensation/Debt/Obligation/Law .

I have given all meanings of Malik-Yauwme-Deen. See the difference? Their work has fallen short in a very scary way.

I suggest to learn the Arabic letters, use transliterations, and buy for example this dictionary:

http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Holy-Quran-Abdul-Mannan/dp/0963206796/sr=1-1/qid=1172680843/ref=sr_1_1/105-2851214-4639623?ie=UTF8&s=books

And use the Rootlist with Lane's Lexicon:

http://www.studyquran.co.uk/PRLonline.htm
SE

Post by SE »

I was reading a little on critiqes of translation. Is Arthur Arberry's as good as they say it is?

Arnold: That version you did of 1:4 was much more informative than most translations, that was the type of thing I have been looking for. A good look at the words, without all the bulk of a tafseer.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Salaam Aleikum,

No, those critiques are based on the idea that Islam is a religion. They only accept translations that are in line with the traditional approach and the scholar opinions.

The best ones are and remain next to QXP, Muhammed Asad's and Ahmed Ali.

I hope to make such a literal translation in the future inshAllah.
Damon

Post by Damon »

I was reading a little on critiqes of translation. Is Arthur Arberry's as good as they say it is?

Arnold: That version you did of 1:4 was much more informative than most translations, that was the type of thing I have been looking for. A good look at the words, without all the bulk of a tafseer.

Peace SE,

I apologize to you that it took me so long to respond to your last post.

To answer your question, I would say a big fat "NO" to the translation by A.J. Arberry. I have his translation and I personally give it a 2 on a 1-10 scale.

It is my humble opinion that you should stick to QXP and the translation by Muhammad Asad.

Salaam,
Damon.