EID

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Riaz Ahmed

EID

Post by Riaz Ahmed »

Salaams,

Can someone shed a light on the moon? (pardon the pun)!
I mean why is it that we always have the problem with decision making? This saga with the Mullahs and the sighting of the moon.

I believe that a certain amount of witness's are needed to locate the Moon? I mean surely, this day and age we have the telescope, Binoculars, Science and the minds to predict the location of the moon in 1 million years from today.

Are we still using the method that the Arabs used 1400 years ago and we are as usual stuck in a time warp?

Riaz
Arnold Yasin Mol

EID

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Riaz,

The Quran clearly says when you see the moon [of the month Ramadan] you must fast.

The problem today is that we do not have a united Ummah under an Islamic Government. When the true Deen is established, the Government will decide when the moon is sighted, and not some loose individuals here and there.

The greatest shirk is dividings in the Ummah, so also in these matters, to be united we need an united Ummah with one government ruled by the Book of Allah. As long the Ummah follows man-made laws, they will stay divided and quarrel over these simple matters as sighting a moon.
Naushad

EID

Post by Naushad »

Salaam everyone,

Brother Arnold, so in your opinion the sighting of the moon is a MUST or can muslim ummah (upon mutual discussions) adopt a scientific calculations based method as Riaz pointed out in his question? I was under the impression that a mutually agreed upon, scientifically verified lunar calendar would be ok to determine start and end of islamic/lunar months.

Thank you,

Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

EID

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Naushad,

The Quran says when you SEE the moon, so this has ofcourse the upper hand. But this is up to the Islamic Government, not on a loose group of people.