The covenent/pledge of prophets (Misaaq-e-Nabeeyen).

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Dear Dr SA,

I am talking to some Ahmedi/Qadiani friends these days about the issue of Finality of Prophethood. One person mentioned to me some ayaats in Quran saying that all prophets were asked to take a solemn pledge and part of this pledge was that a particular prophet recoginzes that there will be possible future prophets. This friend of mine said that our Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) was also asked to take this pledge just like other prophets before him took it and that pledge or misaaq-e-Nabeeyen is a proof that sub-ordinate prophets can come after our exalted Prophet Mohammad. I am away from home this week but can provide references to specific verses once I return (if needed).

Thank you for your time.

Naushad, Atlanta, USA.
Mahmood Qasmi

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

I do not think this friend of yours is correct...

إنا نحن نزلنا الذكر وإنا له لحفظون

15:9 Behold, it is We Ourselves Who have sent down this Reminder, and behold, it is We Who shall truly guard it.

Which means:
1) There is no more need for another message... nothing more to be revealed after this message is complete. Perhaps this is also hinting that no previous message (or scripture/saheefah) was as elaborate and direct as the Quran.
2) Quran was completely revealed/downloaded/imprinted on the exalted prophet's mind in ليلة القدر. It was complete right from the start!
3) This means that there will be no messenger or رسول after he on whom the Quran was revealed. So Muhammad was the Final Messenger.

ما كان محمد أبا أحد من رجالكم ولكن رسول الله وخاتم النبين وكان الله بكل شيء عليما

33:40 Muhammad is not the father of any man among you, but he is Allah’s Messenger and the Closing Seal (Finality) of all Prophets. And Allah, indeed, is Knower of all things.

Which means:
Not only was he the Final Messenger, but also the Final Prophet...
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam,

Allama Parwez’s approach to understand the verses about pledge of Prophets:
Exposition of the Holy Quran: http://www.tolueislam.com/Parwez/expo/expo_033.htm

33:6. In your society, the strongest ties amongst you are those based on your common association with Deen. Yet inspite of this, blood relations too have their place. Take for instance the position of Allah's Nabi. He has a higher claim on Momineen than they have on their own selves (because they have handed over their lives and property to him for the sake of Allah ~ 9:111; 48:10). And the wives of Rasool are like mothers for the members of this Ummah (and their marriage to any one of them is not permissible ~ 33:53). However in respect of all the rights of your close relatives, as described in the Divine Law (such as inheritance), your own relatives have a higher claims than that of other Momineen and Muhajreen. Nonetheless, if you want to make any special provisions for your other close friends; such special provisions have been included in the Quran, the Book of Allah. (For example there is the provision for a 'will', whereby it is permitted to give anything to anyone one desires ~ 2:180; 4:11.)

33:7. (This special relationship of the Nabi with the members of his Ummah, is absolutely necessary in order to achieve the supreme objective for which he has been sent and for which a covenant has been taken.)
Such a special pledge was taken from all the previous Ambia including Noah, Abraham, Moses and Jesus son of Mary. A similar pledge is being taken from you and the same obligations have been prescribed for you. These obligations are extremely important and this is a very solemn pledge (3:80).

33:8. (The details of such obligations are lengthy, but in brief the objective is that) People who want to spend their lives to uphold truth and justice should utilize this true spirit of theirs in a positive manner. And for the misdeeds of those who deny the truth and take on a rebellious course, a very grievous suffering should be inflicted on them. (In other words, the duty of those Ambia was to establish an order, wherein the results of right or wrong ways of life should appear forthwith.)

3:80-81 The Guidance which is being given to you now is nothing new. It has been given to earlier peoples through their Anbia, with whom Allah had made a covenant. This covenant was that when the last Nabi who will validate the claims and promises made in their scriptures comes, they would accept him and also aid him.
Allah had asked them: “Are you aware that you are accepting the covenant on these terms?”. They had answered: “We are,” thereupon Allah said: “Be witnesses to this and I will also be a witness along with you.” Allah had made it clear that those who would backslide would be those who had abandoned the right path.

Allama Parwez’s detailed book about Khatam-e-Nabuwwat(Urdu) available online to read at:
http://www.toluislam.com/bazm/Urdu/knatq/knata.htm

May Allah Increase Us In Knowledge.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Besides the Verse 33:40, there are many other Verses in Quran that reveals the finality of Prophet(S).

Some of the Verses are:

6:38 ….We did not omit any knowledge from this Book that was essential to be given through Revelation.

6:114 Say, “Shall I seek for Judge and Ruler someone other than Allah? He it is Who has revealed this Book, well expounded in detail for you.” Those whom We have given the Book know that this is revealed in Truth from your Lord. Be not among those who argue for the sake of argument.

6:115 Perfected is the Word of your Lord in Truth and Justice. None can change His Words and His Laws. This announcement comes to you from the Profound Hearer, the Knower.

5:3 …This Day, I have perfected your DEEN for you, completed My favor upon you, and chosen for you Islam as the System of Life….

16:89 The Book We have revealed to you explains everything; a Guide and Grace and the glad tiding for all those who have submitted.

15:9 Behold, it is We Ourselves Who have sent down this Reminder, and behold, it is We Who shall truly guard it.

7:158 Say, "O Mankind! I am Allah’s Messenger to all of you

62:2 He it is Who has sent a Messenger among those who had never before received a Scripture – to convey unto them His Messages, and to make them grow in humanity, and to instruct them in the Scripture (as it is being revealed) and Wisdom, Judgment and establishment of Allah’s Rule on earth. Whereas before that they were obviously lost in error.

62:3 And (sent for) others who have not yet joined them in place and time. For, He is Almighty, the Wise.

The above Verses clearly shows that the Deen is 'Completed' and 'Perfected' thus there is no need of any addition in the 'Message' or for a new Prophet.

May Allah Increase Us In Knowledge.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

3:81 Behold! Allah accepted a solemn promise from all Prophets (and through them with their respective nations that they would welcome each of the next Messengers in the process of Divine Revelation and support him). Allah said to the Prophets, “Now! I give you the Statute Book and Wisdom. Afterward there shall come a Messenger confirming the Truth in what you have. You must, then, acknowledge him and help him. Do you accept and agree to hold on to this pledge of Mine?” They said, “We do agree.” He said, “Then bear witness, and I am with you among the witnesses.” (This was the Promise with their nations. The personal covenant made with each Messenger is mentioned in 33:7).

33:7 And, behold, We did take a pledge from all the Prophets - from you (O Prophet) as well as from Noah, and Abraham, and Moses, and Jesus son of Mary – We took a very solemn pledge from all of them.

33:8 That he might assign responsibility only to the truthful. And to warn that He has readied grievous suffering for the rejecters.
Wassalam,
SA