Multiple Wives of Prophet Mohammad.

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaam alay kum,

Uncle Shabbir mentioned in his posting that our exalted Prophet had only one wife at any single point in time.

While reading surah Al-Ahzaab, many verses of this surah mentions 'Wives of the Prophet' (plural form). Some of the verses from QXP are:

33:28 (Now in a state of affluence) O Prophet! Tell your wives, “If you desire the life of this world and its glitter – well, then, I shall provide you to your contentment and let you go in a becoming manner.” (The Prophet had chosen not to keep a standard of living higher than the poorest of Madinah, and the mothers of believers were seeing other women living in relative affluence).

33:30 O Wives of the Prophet! (You will be seen as role models for other women, therefore), if any of you displays unseemly conduct, double would be her suffering, for indeed, that is easy for Allah.

33:32 O Wives of the Prophet! You are not like other women. If you live upright, then, be not over-soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease aspire (to you). But speak in customary kindness.

33:51 You may let any of your wives leave amicably if they so wish, and likewise you may keep close those who accept the extra responsibilities as the mothers of believers (33:6, 33:28 ). If you reconcile with anyone you had estranged, you commit no error. This will gladden their eyes, their grief will disappear and all of them will be content with whatever you give them. Allah alone knows what is in your hearts, and Allah is Knower, Clement.

Based on above verses, I needed to know why the wives are mostly mentioned in plural form in Quran specially if exalted Prophet was married to only one lady at a time based on Dr Shabbir's research?

Thank you,

Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Naushad,

The Quran allows marrying more then one woman when the State is in war or diseas of other disasters has struck the population.

Nikaa not only means marriage, it means 'to bind things in such a way they are intangled'. It refers to a contract with agreements that binds two persons. In the case of multiple marriage, the aim is to provide social care for the women and a house for the children. In this agreement, anything can be agreed upon, for example no sexual relationship, only the econimical and social responsibility.

This is also why the Prophet and believers were only allowed a certain number of contracts, as he otherwise would create poverty for his own family.

4:3 If you fear that you (the society) shall not be able to do justice with the orphans, (as may happen in times of war and political turbulence, the
government shall announce a state of Emergency), then, in order to
accommodate widows and orphans, men of sound finances and character
shall be encouraged to marry these widows; two, three, and four (4:127) But, if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly, then, you must not take additional wives, and may continue with what you already have (4:129) This will be more suitable to prevent you from doing injustice and face financial hardship. [Second marriage during peace time is a FRANK violation of the Quran.]

OTHER WIVES!
The exalted Prophet was now also Head of the State. Quite a few Muslims had been killed in battles and by persecution. There were women who accepted Islam while their husbands did not. The Qur'an does not allow a Muslim woman to remain wedded to a Non-Muslim. In these circumstances, there were many women and their children who needed shelter. The Prophet (S) and his companions accommodated them in their homes. To prevent slander, these widows and divorcees simply signed marriage contracts in their new households.

To emphasize the point again, the exalted Messenger married only Hazrat Khadija when he was 25, and she was 40. They lived an ideal married life for 25 years. Hazrat Khadija died in Makkah at 65. Three years after her death and soon after migration to Madinah in AH 1, Muhammad (S) married Hazrat Ayesha, a sister of Hazrat Abu Bakr. She was then 48.
During the blessed times, the Central Government run with Shura used to issue a deed of marriage to all women seeking asylum with Rasool (S) and Sahaba Kiraam in order to prevent slander. This is the reason why the Qur'an mentions the exalted Prophet's wives in plural. Please reflect on the many shades of the meaning of Nikah. Also consider why NONE BUT Hazrat Khadijah bore any children to the exalted Prophet.
Maria, the bondwoman reportedly "gifted" to the exalted prophet by the Egyptian ruler, is nothing but a malicious fabrication. How could the exalted prophet accept bondwomen and slaves when the Qur'an was emancipating them? One might assume well and think, "Well, in order to grant them freedom." But our brilliant historians insist that Maria always remained a concubine!OTHER WIVES!
The exalted Prophet was now also Head of the State. Quite a few Muslims had been killed in battles and by persecution. There were women who accepted Islam while their husbands did not. The Qur'an does not allow a Muslim woman to remain wedded to a Non-Muslim. In these circumstances, there were many women and their children who needed shelter. The Prophet (S) and his companions accommodated them in their homes. To prevent slander, these widows and divorcees simply signed marriage contracts in their new households.
To emphasize the point again, the exalted Messenger married only Hazrat Khadija when he was 25, and she was 40. They lived an ideal married life for 25 years. Hazrat Khadija died in Makkah at 65. Three years after her death and soon after migration to Madinah in AH 1, Muhammad (S) married Hazrat Ayesha, a sister of Hazrat Abu Bakr. She was then 48.
During the blessed times, the Central Government run with Shura used to issue a deed of marriage to all women seeking asylum with Rasool (S) and Sahaba Kiraam in order to prevent slander. This is the reason why the Qur'an mentions the exalted Prophet's wives in plural. Please reflect on the many shades of the meaning of Nikah. Also consider why NONE BUT Hazrat Khadijah bore any children to the exalted Prophet.
Maria, the bondwoman reportedly "gifted" to the exalted prophet by the Egyptian ruler, is nothing but a malicious fabrication. How could the exalted prophet accept bondwomen and slaves when the Qur'an was emancipating them? One might assume well and think, "Well, in order to grant them freedom." But our brilliant historians insist that Maria always remained a concubine!

See http://www.ourbeacon.com/truehistory.pdf
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Dear brother Arnold,

Thank you for your reply to my question.

Just to make sure that I understand you correctly.. so basically you are saying that our Prophet did have multiple women under his protection simultaneously at a given time and they all signed marriage contracts too to avoid slandaring etc BUT they were not wives in a way that we generally think of. This relationship as husband-wife (or wives) was merely to provide protection for these women. Is my understanding correct?

Also, if we think of the actual "signing a marriage contract" as being considered "married" to someone then would it not be correct to say that our Prophet did have multiple marriages simultaneously at any given point in his life? Even though I understand that the nature of those contracts was merely to provide shelter and protection to these ladies and not to be engage in usual husband-wife relationship.

Thank you,

Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Yes, this is my best understanding of the whole matter, which also ethically makes sense.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam Brother Arnold,

This is really a new and interesting interpretation of the issue in hand. However I have a question.

4:3 If you fear that you (the society) shall not be able to do justice with the orphans, (as may happen in times of war and political turbulence, the
government shall announce a state of Emergency), then, in order to
accommodate widows and orphans, men of sound finances and character
shall be encouraged to marry these widows; two, three, and four (4:127) But, if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly, then, you must not take additional wives, and may continue with what you already have (4:129) This will be more suitable to prevent you from doing injustice and face financial hardship. [Second marriage during peace time is a FRANK violation of the Quran.]

What I could understand from 4:3, 4:127, 4:129 is that you cannot translate Nikah in these particular places other than hunsbad-wife relationship, correct me if I am wrong.

My question is If in an emergancy state Quran permits more than one wives upto 4 then why to believe that Prophet had only one wife at one time.

Salam.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam Brother Arnold.

And also, you would be kind enough to give any reference from the Quran where this word 'Nakaha' has been used for other than husband-wife or sex relationship. The root N-K-H is used 23 times in the Quran.

Meanings of Nakaha: http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume8/00000102.pdf

Occurances of Nakaha: http://www.textinmotion.com/words.jsp?word

God Bless
Thanks in Advance.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Dear Arnold,

Thank you for your reply. Based on what you said, I feel that the N2I understanding that Prophet Mohammad did have multiple wives at any given time is not incorrect in principle. Even though there is a difference in the understanding about the nature of relationship that these marriage contracts established between Prophet and these women in dire need but theoratically he did have multiple valid marriage contracts at a given time (and hence the N2I understanding - multiple wives at once). Is this correct?

Thanks,

Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Salaam Mateen,

I know the main meaning of Nikaah is marriage in its fullest sense. But I also keep in mind that sometimes meanings are determined by its context or the possibilities of the root definition like Tair and Dharaba.

I have pondered alot on this issue before I posted my above opinion on the matter. Nikaah is such a deepmeaning word, its definition is so rich. This is why I believe it can be understood on different levels.

Let's say for example a man is a prisoner of war, held in prisons for 5 years. Finally released, he gets back and he sees his wife married with another man to prevent social and economical misery. Of course he is happy that she was well taken care off and the kids provided and protected. But to accept the fact that your wife had a sexual relationship in the mean time is a bit more sensetive issue. Would he ask himself; Was that really necessary? Couldn't she had waited a while longer. Is that selfish or understandable?

I try to understand the ethics behind it. The word is layed in front of us in the Quran. The Quran only gives the upper limits of marriage, it doesn't say sexual behaviour is an obligation in such a social contract.

I myself believe it is logical that the word can be approached in layers. If a male and female want to have a full marriage relationship, then of course there is no problem. But maybe a woman doesn't feel like it, is not attracted to the man, still mourns her dead husband, maybe he is still alive and she wants to wait, but in the mean time she still needs social and economical certainty. Maybe the man wants to help certain females because he has the means too, but he doesn't want to have sexual relations with them. Is he obliged too? Of course not.

These are the things I keep in mind when I try to understand these things. Maybe the Prophet did had full marriage relationships with these women. Maybe he only had social contracts with them. The word Nikaah does allow this understanding.

Nikaah core definition is 'To combine things so they are intertwined'. Like two trees standing close so their roots or branches gets intertwined or a drop of water mixing with the sand.

With humans it can refer to marriage, as two lives gets intertwined. Too sexual behaviour, but also to agreements laid out in a contract, as the agreements intertwines each other's responsibilities.

I believe it is up to the couples themselves which agreements are included in the contract, the main agreement as laid out in verse 4:3, is the social and economical responsibility. If other points are agreed on, then of course no problem, but I do not believe it is an immediate requirment.

I myself could not have sexual relationships with any other woman then my own beautiful wife. It would go against my feelings. But I would accept the social and economical responsibilty for the women if I could take care of them. Would you force me into sexual behaviour against my will?

I keep in mind that the same thing could have occured with the Prophet. And also seeing history telling that he had no children with any other wife then Khadija explains a lot. If he had more children, the Shia would have used it in their doctrine from the beginning I believe instead of holding on to stories as Karbala.

All of this carefully reflected material drives me to the given conclusions. This makes more sense from an ethical point of view and doesn't loose track at all from the core meaning of the word Nikaah, it only gives the word more levels in usage.
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Asalam Elikom all,

Not thinking history :) can any one please explain verse 32 of surah Noor and it's significance. This surah, the only one if I am correct, starts with a verse
" This is a surah which we have send down with a decree of Law. Clear commandments have been given in it for you to bear in mind."....

24:32
"And marry the single among you (whether they are widowed divorced or bachelors) and those who are still being kept as slaves, if they are poor , Allah will enrich them with His bounty, for Allah is for infinite means, All Knowing."

a sister
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Extremely apologetic for writting incomplete verse..
the complete right verse is like this..

24:32

And marry the single among you, (whether they are widowed divorced or bachelors) and those who are still being kept as slaves male or female, such of them as are fit to marry. If they are poor, Allah will enrich them with His Bounty, for, Allah is of Infinite means, All Knowing

thank you.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Salaam dear sister,

As far as I know, this verse tries to break the habit of marrying only on the same status. The Quran tries to break all seperations and dividings in society by taking away all the class-difference as family-status, wealth and so on.

People may only be judged on charachter:

49:13 O Mankind! Indeed, We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes so that you might (affectionately) come to know one another. Surely, the most honored among you, in the Sight of God, is the one who is best in conduct and lives most upright. Indeed, God is Knower, Aware. [‘Min zakarinwwa untha’ = Of a kind that is male, and of a kind that is female = Male and female = Some of you are men and some of you are women. On this note I find myself in agreement with M. Pickthall 39]

And so this verse clearly says, marry the believing people, may they be poor, widows or even slaves. Do not judge the person on his wealth or status, but on his or her faith and character.

This is true Islam!
noman waseem

Post by noman waseem »

Salam Aleikum,

Since Ahmed Mateen is a member of this forum, I would like to know why his post has been removed without any subsequent and relevant comment. This is not to argue whether or not his post should have been deleted, but rather to simply ask why it was deleted without mention.
Noman Waseem
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam Brother Noman

I am just re-writting my arguments. I deleted myself :). Sorry if it caused any confusion.

A Mateen
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Asalam o Elikom,

Thank you brother Arnold. But what kind of verseis this? Is it an order or just a suggestion a recomendation and what happened to the word single?

thank you.
Arnold Yasin Mol

I see it as an order to the believers among Mankind.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam Brother Arnold,

According to my understanding, Verse 4:3 encourage believers to marry those women who are left alone in the society and waiting to get married, wheather widows or those women who couldn't get married in the age. The limit in the verse for having more than one wife is 4 with a condition of being JUST with all of them. IF you are not certain or fear that you would be unable to do justice with all of them then ONLY ONE.

From the other verse 4:129 Quran says its not possible to be completely just with all of them however it do tell us the best possible way to approach justice: You will not be able to deal equally between your wives however much you wish. But turn not altogether away from one, leaving her as if in suspense between having and not having a husband.

Having that in mind, I believe Prophet might have more than one wives (upto 4) at on point of time because its not prohibited. That was the question of Naushad.

Now as per your understanding, what I could understand from your posts is that, a women can have more than one Nikah at the same time with two men, one is the husband with sex-relations and the other is just to provide sustenance without sex-relations. Please correct me if I have undrestood you wrong.

And also point out where I am wrong in my undrstanding of the verse 4:3 and 4:129.

One more thing I would like to mention that, I do not believe in any history related to Prophet other than Quran. So using history in your explanation would be of no use.

Thanks

More questions are coming :)
Arnold Yasin Mol

Salaam Brother,

Yes, you completely misunderstood me, I never implied a woman having 2 Nikaah. I refered to for example a husband is missing in action, he could be dead or not, the State is still in a state of war. Women have no accomodations as the State cannot provide for all of them. So then certain men can step in and make legal social contracts with the women to provide for them to take the burden of the State. This is what I meant.

Then the male and females can decide if they take on a full marriage contract or only a social-providing contract.

And I agree with you on the history of course.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Let's say for example a man is a prisoner of war, held in prisons for 5 years. Finally released, he gets back and he sees his wife married with another man to prevent social and economical misery. Of course he is happy that she was well taken care off and the kids provided and protected.

But to accept the fact that your wife had a sexual relationship in the mean time is a bit more sensetive issue. Would he ask himself; Was that really necessary? Couldn't she had waited a while longer. Is that selfish or understandable?

As you can read, you said: <<......held in prison for 5 years, finally released and gets back and he sees his wife married with another man...........of course he is happy >>>>

IF you mean to say that if a husband is dead or lost and do not return for some years then women can marry again. As for I know no one disagree on that, in both cases women is free to marry any one. In the later case her Nikah with the lost husband would be invalid automatically. And if she is married again and her ex-husband returns he cannot claim her back because he is no more her husband.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Yes, but she re-married because she thought he was dead, not because she wanted too. Of course, she can divorce and re-marry her first husband.
So my idea is, that the couple can first agree only on a social contract, but when there is certainty the first husband is dead, then if they want to, can make it a full marriage agreement is stead of just a social-contract. The word Nikaah does allow this idea completely. But it is up to the couple.

Let's agree to disagree on this little detail.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam Brother,

OK, Your idea is: Nikah=Social-Contract (without sex-relations) right?

Would you please eloborate the following:

Since its just for hleping the female, then:

1. In such social contract Why the limit = 4 if I can help 10?

2. Why the question of being JUST ?

3. Why if fear of being unjust then ONE?

4. If I want to help a widow do I need a contract (Nikah) for that?

5. Can a female who wants to support other widows can also have contract (Nikah) with them ?

And I do not agree on agree to disagree. 8). Because this discussion would help me to see how many points I should consider more and how many you need to ponder. So take it as positive discussion. :)

Thanks