Huqooq ul Ibaad versus Human Rights

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaam alaykum everyone,

Recently I read a post by uncle Dr Shabbir where he wrote:

"But, unfortunately, the Muslim clergy has confused the masses into thinking that people owe two kinds of rights on themselves: Huqooqullah (God’s rights) such as worshiping Him, praying five times a day and other rituals. And Huqooqul ‘Ibaad (People’s rights) such as treating them nicely, helping them in need, honoring elders etc.

But this dichotomy, the so-called Huqooqullah and Huqooqul ‘Ibaad are nowhere found in the Qur’an. The Book is replete with human rights all through."

I am a bit confused about what is the difference between Huqooqul ‘Ibaad (People’s rights) and Human Rights (as outlined in Quran)? Would appreciate if either Dr uncle or some other forum member can clarify this for me along with real life examples of each kind of act.

Thank you,
Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Well dear Naushad,

There is no difference between People's rights and Human rights, but if you meant God's rights and Human rights, then the difference is that we, by that definition, owe God certain duties performed through rituals and behaviours. This religious concept of God's rights and People's rights, has seperated these two in distinct different goals.

Rituals that acknowledge God, such as prayer or even using the right hand while eating, are seen as obligations on Mankind to show gratitude to God's bounty. But all of these rituals are non-existance in the Quran. They have been taken from Judaism and Pagan customs.

God in the Quran does not demand any ritual unto Himself, just as Allama Parwez said, God has no personal interest in the Revelations. Mankind himself believes it must acknowledge God's gift of Life in the same way as we would acknowledge a king or ruler. These self-imposed duties have blocked the Muslims from the true goal in the Quran, which is to uplift Mankind to perfection.

21:10 O Mankind! Now We have revealed unto you a Book that is all about you and it will give you eminence. Will you not, then, use reason? (21:24, 23:70, 43:43-44)

These self-imposed duties have blocked the Muslim Ummah from progress, and has gained a status even above human rights! Praying has become more important then helping out your fellow-being!

We must learn again that God's rights are fulfilling human-rights, we serve God through serving Mankind, this Hadith by the Prophet has been ignored to much. God does not demand acknowledgement or rituals, He demands us to create a good and sustaining System, where all beings are equal. We fulfillo His rights through creating Peace and Wellfare on Earth.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Dear brother Arnold,

Thank you for your reply. My original understanding was similar to your provided answer but what made me confuse is the below statement that uncle Dr Shabbir made:

"But this dichotomy, the so-called Huqooqullah and Huqooqul ‘Ibaad are nowhere found in the Qur’an. The Book is replete with human rights all through."

What I am still confused on is where Dr uncle is saying in his statement above that Huqooqul Ibaad are nowhere in Quran BUT human rights are. Based on that I was thinking that he is treating Huqooqul Ibaad and human rights as two different things. Dunno if I make sense?

Would appreciate your comments.

Thank you,

Naushad.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

The dichotomy of God's rights and people's rights is a creation of the Mullah.

The Qur'an gives only one single right of Allah, that of Owneship of the Universe.

3:189 Unto God belongs the Kingdom of the heavens and the earth. And God, having Power over all things and events, has appointed Laws in due measure. [10]

Another Divine Right is actually the Divinely ordained right of the needy. This obviously concerns the humans.

6:141 He it is Who creates Bounties for you, such as gardens that are cultivated, greens that are wild, palm trees of various kinds, crops in diversity, olives and pomegranates, fruits that are similar and diverse. Enjoy them, but give Him His Right on the Day of the Harvest. And waste not the Bounty of God. Surely, He does not love the wasteful. [‘give Him His Right’ = Give God His Right = Render to the poor what is their Divinely ordained right. Time to reflect on Zakaat]

Adding to Arnold's post, please note that Allah is least concerned about our rituals and worship.

14:8 And Moses said, “If you disbelieve and show ingratitude, you and all on earth together, yet God is indeed Self-Sufficient, Owner of all Praise.”
Wassalam,
SA