Days of the week

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Ridwaan

Days of the week

Post by Ridwaan »

Assalamu Aylaykum respected friends

Just to let our esteemed Dr Shabbir know that although I do not post much on this forum I do visit it regularly. And the knowledge that I gain from being here can never be repaid. however, in my humble way, I have started a quranic society and Alhamdullilah, the interest to join our weekly discussions on the correct understanding of the Quran is growing here at the tip of Africa. Just last week, the local imam screamed fire and brimstone from the mimbar when he heard about this society. But Alhamdullilah, it just caused more people to enquire about us. And as expected, the imam quoted left right and center from hadith how we are out of the fold and that the punishment is death by stoning. With the mercy of The Almighty Allah on the side of the truth, we are remaining steadfast and another two persons will be joining us.

Dear respected ourbeacon scholars of the Quran. Can you help me on how the days of the weeks originated as we want to discuss the real purpose of Jumuh. As I have learnt that Jumuh occurred anytime of the day or week and sometimes more than once per week during the time of The exalted Prophet (S) and the companions. Thus, the fact that Friday is termed as Youmil Jumuh, kindly guide me on this matter for our discussion.

Thank you very much.

Ridwaan
Arnold Yasin Mol

Days of the week

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum Ridwaan,

I must Alhamdullileh! May Allah reward you more in your efforts. I'm very happy to hear this. It is normal for the clergy to threat with death asthey don't like seeing when people use their own mind and thus regain their own power:

2:76 Verily, when they meet with those who have attained belief,
they say, “We have attained belief.” But when they meet each
other in private, they say, “Would you inform them (the believers)
of what God has disclosed to you? Therewith they may engage
you in argument before your Lord. Will you not, then, use your
senses?”

If there is any need for help or questions, we are always available. Also here is a book on the nonsense of 'killing apostasies', so you have even more power for your argument:

http://www.islamicpluralism.org/texts/2005t/apostasy.htm

As for your current question. Friday comes from the pagan goddess Freia, Freia-tag. And when you study ancient mythology around the world, every day of the week was connected with a local deity.

If the First Muslims just choose Friday as the main Congregation day without any connection to the past I do not know. I do know that it is normal to link the days of worship to pagan custom. In Sunnism, Friday is the so-called day that Adam was born.
Ridwaan

Days of the week

Post by Ridwaan »

Salaams brother Arnold

Do you perhaps have any idea what period Friday was first termed as Youmil Jumuh? Was it during the Companions time or after that?

Another question, please:

Any term in The Quran that refers to the word "tolerance"?

Baie dankie Meneer Arnold.

Ridwaan
Arnold Yasin Mol

Days of the week

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Ridwaan en dank je wel :D

I did some more research on the concept of Jumaah. The word Jumaah means 'many people' and thus it refers to a gathering. It is interresting to note that one of the meanings of Sabbath is also 'many people'.

In Arabia, the main goddess was Al-laat, a fertility goddess that was equal to the Greek-Roman Aphrodite and Venus. And the Syrian Ashtoreth and the German Freia. The connection is not only to the same powers and function of the goddesses, but also they were all venerated on the same day, on Friday.

Many pagan customs remained present in the Arabian minds. This can be seen at the current Hajj were most rituals are pagan-sun and fertility rituals. These were probably re-introduced into the Muslims-thinking after the Abbasids seperated Quran from State, and thus destroyed the Muslim connection with the Quranic Goal. To fill up the gap, many pagan ideas were re-introduced in a Muslim-coat.

The main worship in pagan times for Arabs were on Fridays, so they probably re-introduced this with the Muslim prayer. This has been done many times, where the Sunna/custom of the forefathers were re-introduced as Sunna/practice of the Prophet to justify the pagan laws and customs.

As for the question on tolerance, the Quran has many injunctions that we must be very tolerable to other beliefs. I will answer those questions later, or maybe another member would like to pick that up.