Jumaa Prayers

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Musawwir

Jumaa Prayers

Post by Musawwir »

Salaam,

Seeing the proponents of this forum do not agree with the instiution of Namaaz as is prevalent today, I would like to hear their thoughts on the institution of Friday Prayers?

In an ideal world where people follow the Quran and not Ahadith, does the Friday congregation Prayer still exist? If so, how would it be different than today?

Also, do any of the people on this forum attend Friday prayers? Should they? Or is it N2Iish?
Arnold Yasin Mol

Jumaa Prayers

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam dear Dr,

Well, I do attend mosques so I can talk with its visitors. I believe reforming must start from within, although my ideas were of course rejected in the beginning, later on they gained roots here and there. And your books and my books and articles are gaining popularity with many people here in Holland.

I haven't been to a Friday congregation for long, because of work and also because I was the white blond blue-eyed person between only Arabs(people look more at me then at the Imam :D ). And it is always the twisted Islam, an Islam that helps nobody. We have a new Imam at the mosque, young and intelligent, and he likes me very much, and in his sermons, he is foccussed alot on social issues. He is good. But still he doesn't reform them or really educate them. I don't like this and so to avoid frustration, I don't go.

But I always make sure I have my grounds in the Muslim communities in my area. People know me, and my ideas to some extent. The Arab mosque wants me to teach young Muslims about other religions and also guide new Muslims. The Turkish mosque wants me to teach Islamic History at their mosque to people.

I'm still working out a program where I don't compensate with lies of the past and do not go to fast for them in reforming their mind. There is a lot of psychology involved in this.

To know what is going in the Muslim communities, how they think and do is important to know how to start reforming them. But I do this outside the congregation prayer.

I also have meetings with similair minded Muslims to discuss Quran and pray together. This feels more Jumaah, then any other group I go to.
Musawwir

Jumaa Prayers

Post by Musawwir »

Thankyou for your reply,

I would just like some clarification. Is in your opinion, the institution of Friday Prayers Quranic or not? If your view of Islam prevails over the world one day, would the institution still stand?

If you say no it is not Quranic, does that not mean that whoever among you followers of the "true Islam" attends Jumaa in these times (for whatever intention), he or she is compromising on principles?
Mahmood Qasmi

Jumaa Prayers

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

Salaam Musawwir,
Let us put it this way. Jum'ah simply means congregation, and there is no indication that it has to fall a day before Shabot Shalom... secondly, there is no indication in the Quran for people to observe a 'seven-day' week. That should clarify the ambiguity (if there is one) in Arnold's post.
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
Musawwir

Jumaa Prayers

Post by Musawwir »

Salaam,

Based on your post, do I have your answers to the following questions correct:

1) Should anyone who follows the Quran and not ahadith attend Friday Prayers at the local mosque?

NO!

2) In an ideal Islamic world based on the Quran alone (which will in your opinion come to pass one day), the institution of Friday prayers will be abolished if not radically adjusted.

YES!
Arnold Yasin Mol

Jumaa Prayers

Salaam,

Based on your post, do I have your answers to the following questions correct:

1) Should anyone who follows the Quran and not ahadith attend Friday Prayers at the local mosque?

NO!

2) In an ideal Islamic world based on the Quran alone (which will in your opinion come to pass one day), the institution of Friday prayers will be abolished if not radically adjusted.

YES!

Salaam,

The friday-prayers have no use if they do not discuss matters of social and humane enhencement. Till now, all jumaah's I intended were about the medival idea on what Halal and Haram is. Totaly foccussed on rituals or details on the Prophet's history that didn't enlighten nobody.

And to answer your number 2 question, Jumaahs were held when neccesary, sometimes this was 3 times a day, sometimes 4 times a week. It depended on need of society-issues.
Mohammed Rafi

Jumaa Prayers

Post by Mohammed Rafi »

This means that if important topics concerning the humanity are discussed regularly, then the Friday prayers are valid. Physical evidence at Makkah and Medina and other places where the last Messenger had been confirm the congregational prayers. I do not pray regularly, but I feel rejection of Namaz or Salat (Whatever you may call the ritual) does keep you close to the Quran. It constantly reminds you of the Divine directives.Even you have depended on history about the Yoummal Jummah. Either you accept or totally reject history.

Mohammed Rafi, Karachi
Arnold Yasin Mol

Jumaa Prayers

This black and white thinking is illogical and not scientific. To totaly reject or accept history is not based on reason. We have the Furqan, and must be used as such, we must study History and sift out the nonsense.

3 weeks ago, I was talking to the head of the Imams-education in my country, he is a very wise and knwoledgable man which i highly respect. Although it still inclines more to N2I thinking, the Imams are trained towards individual thinking and to be sceptic towards History. For example, they reject the stoning of people. I asked him how many people left the study, he said from the 30 that started, only 12 are left. "Why did they leave?" I asked. He said: "Because we taught them not to think in balck and white, we taught them to think for themselves. Most couldn't handle this as grey-thinking takes effort and courage."