Islamic prayers for the dead?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
crschatz

Post by crschatz »

Salamun alaikum my Brothers and Sisters:

Could somebody recommend appropriate Islamic prayers and/or appropriate Qur'anic verses for a funeral/memorial service? (Okay, I know a lot of people feel this is absolutely pointless; let's just say that psychologically I will feel better saying some prayers and reciting some verses even if it doesn't affect the deceased at all!) The deceased is my father-in-law. He died suddenly on Monday while apparently recovering from another illness. The funeral rituals are a little awkward for my husband and me because everybody else in my husband's family is Lutheran and the funeral will be Lutheran. (I know some folks believe praying for a non-Muslim is haram but I've always ignored that "advice.") Anyway, the funeral is tomorrow so if somebody could offer me some advice, I'd really appreciate it. If nothing else, I'd like some verses to recite or read (discretely, of course) during the Christian prayers.

Wassalam,
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear little Sister,

Heart-felt condolences from our family to you and your husband!

I do not recall any verse in the Qur'an forbidding prayers for People of the Book.

May Allah blot out the imperfections of the departed soul and grant him His profound grace.

Allah says that His mercy encompasses all things.

7:156 Appoint for us the good in this world and in the Hereafter. We turn to You for guidance.” (He answered), “My punishment is but through My law. But My mercy embraces all things. Yet, I (especially) appoint it for those who live upright and keep their wealth open for others and those who truly believe in Our messages.”

You may choose any of the following verses, and also, pray in your language whatever you wish.

57:21 Be foremost in seeking the protection from your Lord, and a Garden as vast as the heaven and the earth. It has been readied for those who choose to believe in God and His Messengers. Such is God’s bounty that He bestows upon him who wills it. God is the Lord of abounding bounty.

57:22 No disaster befalls the earth, nor yourselves but according to the laws that We have already recorded in the Book of decrees. Surely, all this is easy for God.

57:23 So, despair not over whatever has left you, nor exult for whatever you have been given. For, God does not love those who are boastful, proud.

64:1 Whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on earth relentlessly strive to fulfill God’s plan, and manifest His glory. To Him belongs the Supreme Kingdom, and all Universe is a living witness of His praise. And He is Able to do all things. [God has appointed due measure for all things and events]

64:2 He is the One Who created you (and endowed you with free will). So, one of you is a denier of the truth and one of you chooses to be graced with belief. God is Seer of all you do.

64:3 He created the heavens and earth in truth and with a Sublime purpose. And He formed you and formed you so well with beautiful potentials. And to Him is the Final destination. [Life has a sublime purpose and keeps evolving like everything else in the Cosmos. So, the death of the human body is only a transition to a higher form of life]

2:286 God does not burden any person but to afford him an opportunity to develop his potentials. For every person is the good that he earns and against him is only what he deserves. (Pray), “Our Lord! Take us not to task if we forget or miss the mark. Our Lord! Do not place on us a burden like what You placed on those before us. Our Lord! Do not place a burden on us that is beyond our strength to bear. Blot out our misdeeds, grant us the protection of forgiveness, and bestow grace upon us. You are our Lord Supreme, so help us against people who oppose the truth.”

3:199 Among the People of the Book are some who believe in God, and in what is revealed to you, and in what was revealed to them. They humble themselves before God, and do not trade away God’s revelations for a trifling gain. Their reward is with their Lord. God is Swift in taking account. [3]
Wassalam,
SA