Temporal Seclusion

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
matinbhagat

Temporal Seclusion

Post by matinbhagat »

Salam ,

I have read stories of Prophet Muhammad spending quiet moments in meditation in the cave and generally of this idea where prophets spend moments away from everyone in solitude in remembrance and contemplation of God. Now we know monasticism is not islamic or quranic. However, that is permanent seclusion and isolation for society. What about temporary seclusion, temporary seeking of isolation away from everyone else to contemplate?Like finding your own private space be it a mountain or a field or a room?Just away from everyone reading the quran and contemplating its message and reflecting on nature. Such things do not appear contradictory to the quranic teachings?Many sufis who do not permanently leave society actually practiced such contemplation?Like the esteemed Jalalludin Rumi actually had a family and children and was very much part of society although he spent moments in reflection away from most people. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Salam
Inna lillahi,wa inna ilayhi ra'jiun
To God we belong,To Him is the return!
UmeAimon

Temporal Seclusion

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam,

Yes I think thats what we call "time out" :) Everyone needs it to think and contemplate. It's only natural in fact for any kind of soch bachar on any matter one needs to be alone for some time because it's not effective when you are sitting in some company. It could be anytime in the day or day in a week (like for me) whenever can we find time. It's a must for our mental/self growth.

UmeAimon
shahalam66

Temporal Seclusion

Post by shahalam66 »

I think it is not necessary to have a specific time out or hide out for our inner contemplation. We should be able to sit quitely, calm our senses and thoughts even in a boiler room. Our inner feeling, inner knowing are silent voices that we can carry with us anywhere any time.
shahalam
kunderemp

Temporal Seclusion

Post by kunderemp »

I think it is not necessary to have a specific time out or hide out for our inner contemplation. We should be able to sit quitely, calm our senses and thoughts even in a boiler room. Our inner feeling, inner knowing are silent voices that we can carry with us anywhere any time.

It is not necessary, indeed..
But there are stories of famous people got some kind of enlightenment when he was in different environment from his normal neighborhood.

It don't have to be 'meditation'. It can be some kind of tour (such as, having adventure in South American using an old motorcycle or hiking to the mountain and having interaction with people in remote area). It can also be an political exile.
Live in Jakarta, the Capital City of Indonesia