GOD or ALLAH? Email by Shehnila, Canada

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

From Shehnila Khalid

Aslamo Aliqum

I am reading your weekly kalam "Dastak " more than 12 years couple of days before I start reading "QXP on line " and it open a new world for me .It answers so many questions , whom I have from my child hood all W? like When Why What Who Etc. I am a muslim women by birth . but there were so many things that always confuse me about Islam. But you give me new direction of thinking and to look at the Islam.One thing that give me courage to write you is, that in your web site the word God is use for ALLAH . forgive me this could be only my thinking (I am nothing in front of gereat personality like you ) That in english Language Word "God" is commonly used for to whom we worship it could be any one ,stone ,sun,star, moon, animals, Buddahs etc.,According to the people believe. But kiya ye ALLAH ke shayan ha ke hum use doosre mushrikoon ke khudaaon main shummar kereen or Use bhi God keheen . For example your name is Dr.Shabbir in urdu language but you will be still Dr.shabbir in english, you will not be called by the translation of your name so why not ALLAH instead of God.He should be called ALLAH no matter which language it is . Same mistake I notice on Ourbeacon.com (again I am nothing in front of you,so please forgive me )
ALLAH HAFIZ
Shehnila Khalid
Toronto
---------------------------------------------
Wassalam,
SA
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Sister, Wa Salamun alaikum!

Please consider me a student like yourself. Conveying the Quranic Message to non-Muslims is a very important part of our mission. By the grace of Allah, now we have about 15,000 people embracing Islam.

We did a lot of research on Allah/God. We learned from new converts to Islam that for Da'wah (Tableegh), non-Muslims prefer God, a name more familiar to them. And Allah says in the Quran that we can call Him by any fair, good names.

7:180 All Names of Allah are the fairest names. You can invoke Him by any of them.---.

17:110 Say, "Call upon God, or call upon the Beneficent: By whatever name you call upon Him, to Him belong the best names and attributes of perfection. ---.

Rumi, Sa'di, Iqbal have frequently used the Persian and Urdu word KHUDA for Allah in their poetry, and Muslims of Iran and the Indo-Pak Subcontinent mostly and rightly do so.

I hope that clarifies the situation for you.
Wassalam,
SA
crschatz

Post by crschatz »

Assalamu alaikum,
I do think many potential reverts (and just non-Muslims in general) who may be reading the Qur'an are more comfortable with the word "God" instead of "Allah." (I'm a revert and I had a period like that myself before I came to prefer the word "Allah.") Many non-Muslims may (incorrectly) feel that Allah is an "Arab god"---different from the God of the Jews and Christians. I really can't think of any instance where I've seen the word "God" used in English (capital G, no qualifiers) to mean anything other than the monotheistic God that Jews, Christians, and Muslims all worship.
Musawwir

Post by Musawwir »

According to 22:40, it is "Allah's" name which is oft remembered in churches, synagogues, cloisters and mosques.

So Eli, God, Allah, Khuda all would seem to be ok.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Abdun,

Although you have a point I agree on, that is that God is not a Force seperate from us, the Quran clearly explains us this and modern science also shows us that the Universe is connected by one unending force, you yourself also overlooked something.

Ileh in its core meaning doesn't mean 'god', it means authority, an authority you turn to for protection. From this core meaning, it also started to mean of course a 'god' as people saw gods fulfilling this function.

But we must use the full defintion to understand it, as for example, many humans fulfill the role of authority people turn to also. QXP is full of them showing that mankind in reality have only human-illeh's they follow next to Allah.

So Le illeh il Allah doesn't just mean there is no god except Allah.

It goes much further.

Le=no/denial/is not

illeh=authority/source of protection/whose laws and directions are obeyed and followed/whose overall sovereignty or lordship is accepted/from whose grandeur one gets dazed/who is at the highest pedestal and remains unseen

ila=except/nothing but

Allah= the ultimate authority/source of protection/whose laws and directions are obeyed and followed/whose overall sovereignty or lordship is accepted/from whose grandeur one gets dazed/who is at the highest pedestal and remains unseen

So I would translate Le illeh il Allah as:

There is no authority to be obeyed, no other source of laws and directions that will protect you, no other sovereignty, no other force or power that dazes you with its grandeur and no other force in the Universe; then Allah, the Universal Force who has complete Authority and who is the source for your laws and directions that will protect you.

As you can see, the sentence addresses much more then simple 'gods'.

Let's break it down:

There is no authority to be obeyed/no other sovereignty=so no human rules over the other in any form.

No other source of laws and directions that will protect you= so only Allah knows the laws and directions that protect us and our progressive development as a species. No human-made law will have the same positive effect on mankind as a whole compared to Allah's.

No other force or power that dazes you with its grandeur= kings and popes and religious leaders have used and still use grandeur and display of their wealth and power as a way to daze people. Have one walk through the Vatican in Rome, and you will see exactly what it means, one walk through Versaille...but many people now are not dazed by display of wealth, but by display of speech. Hitler dazed the German people with his speeches.

Also many so-called holy people try to dazzle people with their created pity and display of faith or miracles.

No other force in the Universe= Simple, there are no other forces that control the universe. No gods, nothing.
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam all,

Dear brother Abdun Nur good to see you again. I have visited your site and it was quite helpful in some areas but mostly you are beyond my head for sure... :lol:

There is only one Allah and there is no doubt about it. The Almighty Power!!! That Power calls Itself “Allah” in Quran which, as He says Himself, has been written at the level of human intellect (i.e., in words, a form humans use to communicate commonly and will for ever. Computers use bits of light to understand and communicate...):) That is why it says it’s easy to understand and not just because it was written in “Arabic”.

The point you are making is the matter of perception of people... their understanding about this power. That understanding my dear is also wrong in the heads of the Arabic speaking/understanding people who know Allah by the name “Allah” only!!! That perception has to change everywhere.

The concept of Allah is totally different of course for those “who know” only. But the point here is when you are inviting a person from a whole different ideology and language you have to start from the level they connect with most easily. Once they really understand connect with Allah they’ll automatically call Him by the name He has chosen for Him.

The Power that calls Himself Allah also says “ To Him belong the most beautiful of the names...” so for now God is just another “name” that English speaking people like to call their authority figure with, just like Khuda in Persian and who don’t know God/Khuda as they should know HIM. The same people about whom Allah SWT says in Quran as the people who ascribe sons and partners to “Allah”. He does not say they prescribe sons and partners to their own kind of God. That’s simply how I think.

jazakAllah

UmeAimon
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Abdun Nur, AA

Are you posting the same stuff again and again, or I am seeing it wrong? I had to delete two of your repeat posts.

Kindly be brief as you are now.

Avoid arguments.

Avoid being authoritative.

And finally, do not advertise yourself with every post, otherwise it will be subject to deletion.

Thanks for your understanding!
Wassalam,
SA
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam,

It's not his fault. I told the administrator in mail that it's the site that's giving problem. It gives error message everytime one tries to enter the reply, so one tries again and again and in the end all of the messages get posted. That happened to me also but now I know it's the wrong message and the post is accepted anyway. It's still giving the same message in case you haven't got my mail.

thank you,

UmeAimon