Iddah

Welcome to our new OurBeacon Forum!
Humghal

Iddah

Post by Humghal »

Asslam u Alakum
My Father passed away last month and my mother is 70 years old, what are the requirements for her Iddah, I studied 2:234 and 65:4 , I would appreciate if someone explain, Thanks
jawaidahmed

Re: Iddah

Post by jawaidahmed »

There are no Qur'anic requirements except if she intends to re-marry [70years old!] waiting the four months and 10days.

Culture has added 3days, 40 days, 1year customs, secluding from males which have nothing to do with Allah and His Messenger, so it is up to you if you want to impose them upon a bereaving mother.
mrafi

Post by mrafi »

Iddah is meant to confirm pregnancy for a subsequent marriage. In modern times even a 20 0r 30 year old widow needs no Iddah as pregnancy can now be confirmed in minutes. An old widow's iddah is out of question
YusufTX

Post by YusufTX »

"Iddah is meant to confirm pregnancy for a subsequent marriage. In modern times even a 20 0r 30 year old widow needs no Iddah as pregnancy can now be confirmed in minutes."

The waiting period is prescribed not only for determining pregnancy but also for ensuring the woman has psychologically and emotionally recovered and revitalized for taking next steps with a sufficient mental capacity.

2:234 Those among you who die and leave wives behind, they shall wait four months and ten days before they remarry. Once they fulfill their interim, there is no blame on you (society) concerning what they want to do with themselves according to social norms. God is Aware of what you do.

2:235 You do nothing wrong in announcing your engagement to (widowed or divorced) women or keeping it to yourselves. God knows that the community will think about them. But, never make a secret pledge or contract with them. Speak with them honorably and in recognized words. Do not tie the wedding knot nor sign the marital contract until the waiting period has ended. Know that God understands human psyche, and what is in your hearts. Take heed of Him and know that God is Forgiving, Clement.

"An old widow's iddah is out of question."
These records speak otherwise - Erramatti Mangamma currently holds the record for being the oldest living mother who gave birth at the age of 73 through in-vitro fertilisation via caesarean section in the city of Hyderabad, India.

The oldest verified mother to conceive naturally listed as of 2017 in the Guinness Records is Dawn Brooke; she conceived a son at the age of 59 years in 1997.
YusufTX
Dallas, TX