IS QURANIC “SALAAT’ THE ACT OF RITUAL PRAYER?

Welcome to our new OurBeacon Forum!
abdalazizariff

Post by abdalazizariff »

https://archive.org/details/ebooksall.com.1548_202002

Bujhi Ishq Ki Aag, Andhair Hai
Musalman Nahin, Raakh Ka Dhair Hai

Gone out is the fire of love. O how sad!
The Muslim is a heap of ashes, nothing more.
Allama Iqbal.

Chapter Al-Baqarah, Verses 2/30 to 2/39
Transliteration: “Wa-iz-qaala Rabbu-ka lil-malaaikati inni jaa’ilun fil-Ardhi Khaliifatan; qaalu a’taj’alu fi-haa man yufsidu fi-haa wa yasfikud-dimaa’a wa nahnu nusabbi-hu bi-hamdi-ka wa nuqaddisu la-ka; Qaala inni a’lamu ma laa
ta’lamoon. Wa ‘allama Aadama al-asmaa’a kulla-ha thumma ‘aradha-hum ‘alal Malaaikati, fa qaala a’nabbi’ooni bi-asmaai haa’ulaai in kuntum saadiqeen. Qaloo
subhaana-ka laa ‘ilma la-naa illa maa ‘allamtanaa inna-ka anta al-‘aleem-ul hakeem. Qaala ya Aadamu a’nabbi’u-hum bi-asmaa’i-him; fa-lamma ambaa’a hum bi-asmaa’i-him qaala alam aqul-la-kum inni a’lamu ghayibas-samawaati wal ardhi wa a’lamu maa tubdoona wa maa kuntum taktumoon. Wa-iz qulnaa lil malaa’ikati isjadu li-Aadama fa-sajadoo illa Ibleesa, abaa was-takbara wa kaana
min al-kafireen. Wa qulnaa yaa Aadam-uskun anta wa zawjukal-Jannata wa kulaa min-haa raghadan hayithu shi’tumaa wa laa taqrabaa haadhi-hi-sh-shajarata fa takoonaa min-az-zaalimeen. Fa-azalla-huma ash-Shayitaan ‘an-haa fa-akhraja huma mimma kaana fi-hi; wa qulna-ahbitu ba’adhu-kum li-ba’adhin ‘aduwwan.
Wa la-kum fil-Ardhi mustaqarran wa ma-taa’un ilaa heen. Fa-talaqqaa Aadamu min Rabbi-hi kalimaatin fa-taaba ‘alayi-hi inna-hu huwa at-Tawwaabur-Raheem.
Qul-naa ahbitoo minhaa jamee’an; fa-immaa ya’tiyanna-kum minni hudan fa-man tabi’a hudaaya fa-laa khawfun ‘alayi-him wa laa hum yahzanoon. Wallazina kafaroo wa kazzaboo bi-ayaatina oolaai-ka ashaabun-naar. Hum fi-haakhaalidoon.”

Traditional Translation
“Just recall the time when your Lord said to the angels, "I am going to appoint a vicegerent on the Earth." They humbly enquired, "Are you going to appoint such a one as will cause disorder and shed blood on the Earth? We are already engaged in hymning Your praise, and hallowing Your name".Allah replied, "I know what you do not know." After this he taught Adam the names of all things. Then He set these before the angels and asked, "Tell Me the names of these things, if you are right (in thinking that the appointment of a vicegerent will cause disorder)". They replied, "Glory be to You. You alone are free from defect. We possess only that much knowledge which You have given us. Indeed You alone are All-Knowing and All Wise." Then Allah said to Adam, "Tell them the names of these things." When
Adam told them the names of all those things, Allah declared, "Did I not tell you that I know those truths about the Earth and the Heavens which are hidden from
you? I know what you disclose and what you hide." Then We commanded the angels, "Bow yourselves to Adam. "All bowed but Iblis refused to do so; he waxed proud and joined the defiers. Then We said, "O Adam, you and your wife, both
dwell in the Garden and eat to your hearts' content where from you will, but do not go near this tree; otherwise you shall become transgressors".After a time Satan tempted them with that tree to disobey Our Command and brought them out of the state they were in, and We decreed, "Now, go down all of you from here; you are enemies of one another. Henceforth you shall dwell and provide for yourselves on
the Earth for a specified period." At that time Adam learnt appropriate words from his Lord and repented, and his Lord accepted his repentance, for He is very Relenting and very Merciful. We said, "Now go down, all of you from here.
Henceforth there shall come to you Guidance from Me now and again: whoever will follow it shall have neither fear nor sorrow and whoever will refuse to accept it and defy Our Revelations they shall be doomed to the Fire wherein they shall remain forever.”(Modudi)

The most transparent Academic and Rational Translation.
“And recall the time when Your Lord had made it known to the cosmic entities/elements (al-Malaikah – المالئکۃ (that He was going to install a Deputy (Khalifah –خلیفہ (on Earth. In response, they exclaimed: “Would you appoint thereupon someone, or a species, who will ruin the peace and shed lots of blood (ad-dimaa’a –الدماء ,(whereas we are already there striving hard to manifest your respect and praise (nusabbih bi-hamdik – بحمدک ح ُنسب (and going far away to sanctify you by accomplishing your plans (nuqaddisu laka – س ُنقد
لک .(The Lord replied by saying: “Indeed you are not aware of my creative plans”. Then He bestowed man with the faculty of learning the distinctive properties of things (al-asmaa’a – االسماء ,(and thereafter presented those before the entities already having their functional powers (alMalaaikah –
المالئکۃ ,(then asked them “tell me the distinctive properties (asmaa –اسماء (of these things if you are true in your assessment of the new Species”. They responded by submitting that: “You are the ever vigilant one (subhaana-ka –

سبحانک ;(our knowledge is limited to the function you have programmed us to do; Indeed you alone are the all-knowing and all-wise”. The Lord then said: “O Mankind, show them your knowledge of the properties of these things”.
When they had done so, the Lord stressed by saying: “Didn’t I tell you that I know the future of the entire celestial bodies (ghayib-us-Samawaat – غیب
السماوات (including the Earth, and I know what properties you presently display and what potentialities you keep concealed within (ma kuntum “.(ما کنتم تکتمون – taktumoon
And it so happened that WE asked the entities/elements already having their functional powers (al-Malaaikah – المالئکۃ ,(to surrender to Man; so they did,
except the element of fear/grief/despair (Iblees – ابلیس .(It defied and showed arrogance as it was one of the negative elements (kaafireen – کافرین .(And we instructed Man thus: “O Adam, live you and your community (zawjuka –
زوجک (a life of protection and joy (al-jannah – ۃّالجن (and get/acquire from here (kulaa minha – منہا کال (ُplentifully whatever you both may wish, but do not go near this “Schism” (hadhi-hi ash-shajarata – الشجرۃ ھذہ (because you would be committing an excess with yourselves. But their sentiments of rebellion (ash Shayitaan –الشیطان (tempted them against this admonition, so it resulted in getting them out of the state of peace they were in. And then we said to them:
“Get down to a degraded state of life (ahbitu – اھبطوا (since you have become enemies of each other; and on this Earth you have a sojourn (mustaqarrun –
مستقر (and sustenance (mataa’un – متاع (up till a fixed time”. Then Man received Word from his Lord, who reverted to him in kindness; indeed He is the one who reverts with kindness (at-tawwaab – وابّ
ّالت (and is ever merciful.
We said to him: “Go to a lower state of life from the present one (ahbitu minhaa –منہا اھبطو ( collectively; and whenever comes to you a guidance from me, whosoever would abide by that guidance, would have nothing to fear and
to grieve about; And those who would deny and would tell lies upon our signs, they would be the companions of the fire of remorse (ashaab-un-naar – اصحاب
النار ;(therein they would live forever.

Thematic Translation Installments - quranstruelight https://quranstruelight.com › thematic-translation-install

Aurangzaib.Yousufzai_ThematicTranslation-64_Myth of the Creation of Adam.pdf
infoaksayed@1234

Re: IS QURANIC “SALAAT’ THE ACT OF RITUAL PRAYER?

Post by infoaksayed@1234 »

“The Most Transparent Academic and Rational Translation” of Qur’an (2:30) agrees with the “Traditional Translation”. Both of these state that God “appointed a DEPUTY (Khalifa) on Earth”. [DEPUTY = SECOND-IN-COMMAND, ASSISTANT or REPRESENTATIVE]. In keeping with the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality) found in the Qur’an, I wholeheartedly agree with these translations of the Arabic word KHALIFA in Qur’an (2:30).
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, the majority of the Muslim academics belong to a modernist, secularist, feminist and liberalist society. Covered with this veil of darkness, they find it very difficult to believe in angels, jinns, Virgin Birth of Jesus, the creation of Man from moulded clay, etc. They have absolutely no idea that the division of secular and religion is man-made and does not exist on the eternal plane. Hence, they need to shed this veil of darkness and accept the fact that all human knowledge of science, religion, culture, politics, etc, which does not intersect the knowledge of the secular and religion according to the Qur’an Alone, is conjecture.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a follower of Bukhari or Parvez. I follow Qur’an according to the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality), which are found in the Qur’an. I have explained these teachings of the Qur’an in some detail in my previous Post to M Rafi.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question, ‘IS QURANIC “SALAAT” THE ACT OF RITUAL PRAYER?’ let’s begin with the act of wudhu (ablution). In Qur’an (5:6), there is absolute UNITY in the way in which wudhu is made with “water” and “clear sand”. Therefore, all acts of wudhu, like gargling the mouth, putting water in nostril, etc, is not a Sunnah of wudhu because the Prophet (s), like all the Prophets of God, was warned “not to say or do anything which was not revealed to him” (Qur’an 53:3, 10:15, 69:43-46). And “nothing was said to him which was not said to all Apostles that came before him” (Qur’an 41:43). Hence, it is the Qur’an, which defines Sunnah and authenticates Hadith and not Bukhari and his chain of narrators.

Likewise, as far as the “ritual salaat” is concerned, Allah gave exactly the “same” knowledge of the Divine System to all His Apostles (Qur’an 42:13) in the midst of all their God-given Diversities of sights/sounds (Qur’an 49:13), holy-rites/ceremonies (Qur’an 22:34, 22:67), church/mosques (Qur’an 72:18, 22:40), Books/Prophets. Hence, according to the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality), Islam is not a religion. It is a rational way of life (deen), which demands a “restrictive definition” of secular and religion. Therefore, the “salaat” is not a “ritual prayer” but is a “ritual pledge” (Qur’an 7:29).

Allah did not ordain any religion, which is divisive and against reason. Hence, “salaat” as a “prayer” divides us in many different ways. For example, it makes the “prayer” of the Christian different from that of the Muslim and that of the Sunni from that Shia and Ahmediyya. And likewise, that of the Hanafi from that of the Shafi and so on, which are usually performed in different church/mosque. And, in addition to this, their “prayer” is not a means to an end. It is an end in itself. People perform it and go home, without making any change to the condition of the Ummah for the better.

Basically, the “salaat” as a “pledge” involves reading or reciting the true Word of God from the Book of God (Bible, Qur’an, etc) in a “bowing, sitting, kneeling or standing” position and/or by “prostration” to denote sincere submission that we will function in all aspects of our lives, individually and collectively, according to the Word of God Alone we read or recite in the “salaat” and not according to any word of man. Hence, the “salaat” as a “pledge” is a means to an end. It encompasses the development of the ummah in the vicinity of the masjid by shura (mutual consultation), (Qur’an 42:38).

The masjid is the nucleus of development of the ummah according to the “best” knowledge of the Qur’an Alone (Qur’an 39:18, 39:55), which does not make the “pledge” of the Christian or any other nation different from that of the Muslims and does not make the “pledge” of the Sunni different from that of the Shia or that of the Hanafi from that of Shafi. It encompasses all teachings of the Qur’an according to the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality), found in the Qur’an Alone.

AK Sayed
mrafi

Post by mrafi »

2:125 impresses the point we should take our Salaat from Muqam e Ibrahim (Muqaam e IbraheemMusalli) which means ritual prayers being performed in the Kaaba have to be followed. These prayers have been performed since the time of Hazrat Ibraheem. The extended form of Salah is the system that is based on the Quranic verses that are recited in Salaah and Muslims submit to it (Sajdah). The Christian viewpoint is different as they believe in salvation while Islam stresses achievement. These are two totally different approaches to life. The Christian concept of original sin does not correspond to Islamic teachings that negate this. The Christian creed (Meaning 'I believe') clearly states that Christ is eternal and part of the trinity of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
jawaidahmed

Post by jawaidahmed »

What status or 'station' did Abraham achieve through 'salat'? The Qur'an defines these throughout that this was belief in the One God, submitting to His Will alone, go through life thinking, pondering and reflecting upon what we need to do to make our day 'good' or 'rewarding', which in turn gives us the 'rewards' of the next days in our lives and the hereafter. All according to being in complete concordance with His Will as expressed in the Qur'an.
This does not involve reading back His Words five times a day at the kaaba or anywhere else but understanding and putting them into practice; true Salat of the birds, all in the heavens, and ours.
infoaksayed@1234

My reply to Jawaid Ahmed's Post of 12/01/2023

Please be reminded that here in South Africa we are having massive load shedding of electricity, which is giving me very little time on my computer to meet all demands. Please be patient if I delay reply.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let’s take the following verses of the Qur’an to explain the “true Salat of the birds”:

Qur’an 24:41 QXP:
Do you not realize that God, He is the One Whom all beings in the heavens and earth glorify, and the birds, with their wings outspread, as they fly in columns. All of them know their Salaat and Tasbeeh (mission and strife). God is Aware of what they do to fulfill His Plan. [All creatures know their Salaat, their inborn Divinely programmed instincts. So, they can automatically strive (do their Tasbeeh) in the best way. BUT HUMANS ARE NOT PROGRAMMED WITH SUCH INBORN INSTINCTS. GIVEN FREE WILL, THEY MUST DO THEIR SALAAT BY FOLLOWING THE REVEALED GUIDANCE AND THUS STRIVE (DO TASBEEH) IN THE BEST WAY].

Qur’an 17:44 QXP:
All the seven Highs and their Lows, and all beings in them are working His Plan, displaying that He is Praiseworthy. All creatures are playing their role in the Universe. IN YOUR PRESENT STATE OF KNOWLEDGE, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR EXACT MODE OF ACTION. God, the Clement, the Absolver of imperfections, sustains and maintains them in Order.
These two verses of the Qur’an make clear that BIRDS like all the creations of the heavens and the earth, except HUMANS, are programmed to function according to their instincts and YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR EXACT MODE OF ACTION, ONLY ALLAH KNOWS. But as intelligent beings, we humans do understand that, when birds of feather fly together, there is absolute UNITY between the individual and the community in observing the Laws which govern their instincts and the eloquence with which it needs to be achieved. This UNITY and ELOQUENCE between the individual and community must also be achieved by humans who choose to submit their will to their Creator willingly, without any compulsion.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The following verses of the Qur’an, in the story (narration) of Abraham, we have the right to follow Tradition, which make sense to us, and reject that Tradition, which does not make sense to us:

Qur’an 2:124 QXP:
And remember when his Lord had Abraham go through trying circumstances with His commands, and he fulfilled them. Then He said, “I have appointed you an exemplary leader for all mankind.” He asked, “And of my offspring (will there be
exemplary leaders as well)?”. He replied, “My Covenant does not include the wrongdoers.” [Being the offspring of a great man avails none. Trying circumstances: Abraham stood up to the formidable challenge of a mighty priesthood, rampant idolatry and the tyrannical autocracy of King Nimrod Shaddad in Ur, Mesopotamia. Imam = Plumb line that ensures the verticality of a wall = An outstanding leader]

Qur’an 21:52 QXP:
When he said to his father and his people, “What are these images and statues that you sit around worshiping?”
Qur’an 21:53 QXP:
They responded, “We found our ancestors worshipers of them.”

Hence, according to the Tradition of the Abrahamic Faiths, let take the Salat of Prophet Muhammad (s) in Qur’an (4:101-102):

Sahih International 4:101:
“And when you travel throughout the land, there is no blame upon you for shortening (taqsuru) the prayer (salat), [especially] if you fear that those who disbelieve may disrupt [or attack] you. Indeed, the disbelievers are ever to you a clear enemy”.

Sahih International 4:102:
“And when you are among them and lead (fa-aqamta) them in prayer, let a group of them stand (faltaqum) [in prayer] with you and let them carry their arms. And when they have prostrated (sajadu), let them be [in position] behind you and have the other group come forward which has not [yet] prayed and let them pray with you, taking precaution and carrying their arms”.

These words taqsuru (shorten) your salat; fa-aqamta (lead) them in “prayer”; faltaqum (stand) in “prayer”, and sajadu (prostrated), in these verses of the Qur’an, overwhelmingly appeal to those who establish Traditional Salat as a “prayer” or a “pledge”. For example, on Yom Kippur the Jews “pray” like Muslims and Jesus fell on his face when he “prayed”. And in addition to this, for 14 years the Prophet (s) and Muslims faced Jerusalem when they performed Salat before the Qibla was changed to Mecca.

Unfortunately, Quranists, who are ignorant of the FULL meaning of the bird’s “Salat” and ignorant of the Tradition of Salat in the Abrahamic Faiths, use root meanings of Arabic words in the Qur’an to translate Qur’an according their whims and fancies. And in addition to this, they are ignorant of the fact that the Meaning and Message of the Qur’an is revolutionary with space and time, and has to be repeated every day, individually and collectively, as a “pledge” followed by shura (mutual consultation), to keep abreast with its Meaning and Message with time and space.

AK Sayed
jawaidahmed

Post by jawaidahmed »

The words taqsuru (shorten) your salat; fa-aqamta (lead) them in “prayer”; faltaqum (stand) in “prayer”, and sajadu (prostrated), is understood according to the traditional sharia twisted meanings as a physical act and not one of complete submission an devotion to following what Allah has prescribed for us.
Repeat the words five times a day is not a pledge but a foolish attempt at repeating words back to Allah that He gave us to follow.

Quranist, proud to be this as I am standing with the Last Messenger who the Qur'an states that this was all he had to give us and follow and not some three thousand year old traditions attributed to Abraham.
infoaksayed@1234

My reply to the Post by M Rafi dated 13/01/2023

In my previous Post to Jawaid Ahmed dated 12/01/2023, I explained the Salah of Prophet Muhammad (s) in Qur’an (4:101-102) to explain the Salah of Muqam e Ibrahim, which has been carried forward by Tradition. I have used the same method scientists have used to calculate when the Big Bang took place by studying the rate at which the physical universe was expanding today because there are many disputes among scholars of both Qur’an and Hadith about the Salah of Muqam e Ibrahim. Please refer to the said Post to Jawaid Ahmed dated 12/01/2023.

The extended Salat that most Muslims perform as Namaaz has many additions to it, like in wudhu (ablution). According to the Qur’an, I have no reason not to believe that the Prophet Muhammad (s) conducted his Salah like the “contact prayer” of Rashad Khalifa except that he (s) recited the Qur’an in the “standing” position after reciting surah Al-Fatiha as in Tradition. And likewise, I do not think he at any moment thought that his Salah was a “prayer”, because he very well knew that Islam was not a Religion, but a rational way of life (deen), which demanded a “restrictive definition” of the secular and religion.
All nations have corrupted the true knowledge of their Books, not only Christians. But there are many Truth Seekers among them, like the Unitarians, who do not believe in the deity of Jesus. According to the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality), we are required to explain to them in our Interfaith meeting with them, that all the different sights/sounds holy-rites/ceremonies church/mosques and Books/Prophets we subscribe to are our God-given Diversities in their pure form. And that, if we can establish them in their pure form by exchanging Revelations, we would have no problem integrating, assimilating and even marrying people of different religions. Now that the world has become a global village, we will have to impart a revolutionary Meaning and Message of the Qur’an to all and sundry.

AK Sayed
jawaidahmed

Post by jawaidahmed »

You say that diversities are God given in their pure form but the only pure Book is that of the Qur'an so how do you persuade others about what Allah originally gave them when you accept these impurities as they are not in the Qur'an?
Remember, we are asked to judge from the Qur'an and not make up sights/sounds holy-rites/ceremonies church/mosques and Books/Prophets from others which Allah defines as bida innovations, which includes rituals under the false name of Creeds of Abraham!

5:41 O Messenger! Let not those grieve you who run to disbelief, saying, “We believe,” with their mouths, while their hearts have no faith. And grieve not about those Jews who listen for the sake of fabricating lies. They listen and go to their people who have never met with you. Then they distort the words out of context and tell others to accept only a part and reject a part. If God intends trial for anyone, you have no authority in the least for him against God. God does not purify the hearts of such people. For them there is disgrace in this world and an awful punishment in the Hereafter.
5:42 They are upholders of falsehood and they make wealth by unfair means. They are bribed into spying. If they come to you asking to judge among them, the choice to accept or reject their request is yours. You have the right to disclaim jurisdiction since they have not yet accepted the Qur’an and they have the Torah. If you disclaim jurisdiction they cannot harm you at all. However, if you decide to judge among them, do so equitably. God loves the equitable.
5:43 Why do they ask you to act as a judge among them when they have the Torah, containing God’s laws and they disregard it? They are not believers.
5:44 We did send down the Torah containing guidance and a light. By it the Prophets who always sincerely submitted to God, judged the Jews. And the rabbis and the priests judged according to God’s Scripture as they were commanded to observe. To them was entrusted the protection of God’s Book, and they were witnesses to it. So, fear not people, but fear Me and do not trade away My revelations for petty gains. And whoever fails to judge or rule by what God has revealed, such are the disbelievers (‘Kafiroon’).
5:45 For them (Jews), We had decreed in the Torah: Life for life, eye for eye, nose for nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and equal injury for injury. But if one forgoes retaliation by way of charity, it will absolve his imperfections. And whoever fails to judge or rule by what God has revealed, such are wrongdoers (‘Zalimoon’). [Exodus 21:23. That was a Mosaic laws specific to the Israelites. The Final revelation of God, the Qur’an has updated laws for all humanity for all times. Incidentally, Exodus in the Bible as seen today leaves no room for forgiveness of the mentioned offenses]
5:46 And after them We caused Jesus, son of Mary, to follow in their footsteps, confirming (the remaining truth in) what was revealed before him in Taurah. We gave him the Gospel in which there was guidance and a light, and it confirmed the (truth in) what was revealed before it in the Torah, a guidance and admonition to those who wished to live upright. [2:101, 3:78]
5:47 Let the People of the Gospel judge by what God has revealed therein. And whoever fails to judge or rule by what God has revealed, are drifters from the right path (‘Faasiqoon’).
5:48 (O Messenger) We have sent to you this Divine Writ, setting forth the truth. It confirms the remaining truth in the earlier Scriptures since it is a Watcher over them. So, judge between them by what God has revealed, and do not follow their desires diverging from the truth that has come to you. For each community among you We have appointed certain evolving trends and a traced-out way. If God had willed, He could have made you all one single community. But He decided to let you test yourselves by what (potentials) He has granted you. So, outdo one another in doing good to the society. To God you will all return, and He will then make you understand wherein you differed. [2:101, 2:148, 3:78, 21:92-93, 23:52. ‘Muhaimin’ = Watcher. ‘Shari’ah’ = Evolving trends of a community = Rites. ‘Minhaaj’ = A traced-out way = A set of laws. ‘min-al-kitab’ = From or remaining from the Scripture]
5:49 So judge between them by what God has revealed. And do not follow their vain desires. Beware of them, lest they divert you from some of what God has revealed to you. If they turn away from the truth, be assured that God has decided to chastise them for some of their crimes. A great many people drift away from the right path.
infoaksayed@1234

My reply to Jawaid Ahmed’s Post dated 13/01/2023.

There are many Urdu and English translations of the Qur’an. Not all of them agree on everything. In my book titled, POST MODERN RELIGION with subtitle, “A Restrictive Definition of Secular and Religion”, I had to use two translations in English. Most of the time QXP but in some occasions I had to abandon QXP for Yusuf Ali because some of translations of QXP were not in keeping with my knowledge of the Qur’an according to the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality) found in the Qur’an. To explain this, let’s take the following two verses from Sahih International and QXP:
Sahih International (4:101): And when you travel

throughout the land, there is no blame upon you FOR SHORTENING THE PRAYER,

if you fear that those who disbelieve may disrupt [or attack] you. Indeed, the disbelievers are ever to you a clear enemy

4:101 QXP:
When you go forth on an expedition or travel and fear that the opponents may attack you, there is no blame on you

if you prepare for immediate self-defense. Those who oppose the truth are an open enemy to you. [2:3]

In QXP 4:101 the translation of taqsuru (shorten) l-salati (the salat) is missing completely. WHY????

Sahih International 4:102: And when you are among them AND LEADE THEM IN PRAYER,

let a group of them stand [in prayer] with you and let them carry their arms.
And when they have prostrated, let them be [in position] behind you and have the other group come forward which has not [yet] prayed and let them pray with you, taking precaution and carrying their arms.

QXP 4:102:
When you (O Messenger) are with them on an expedition or travel,

let some of them stand with you and take instructions keeping their arms in all precaution.
After they submit to understand, let them fall to the rear and let another party come forth and keep their arms in all precaution while taking instructions.

In QXP, the translation of fa-aqamta (you lead) lahumu (them) l-salata (in prayer) is missing completely. WHY????

It is not the “traditional sharia” people you mention are giving these “twisted meanings” but it is the Quranists who are using Lughatul Qur’an and Tasreef are doing so. They all claim that they “are standing with the Last Messenger” LIKE YOU HAVE DONE.

AK Sayed
jawaidahmed

Post by jawaidahmed »

When you are going 'abroad' where there are people that may oppose your propagation of Qur'anic Islam, informing others of what they need to do in order to follow the Will of Allah, then these can be classed as salat gatherings. These can be shortened if you are in danger.

I believe I asked you many years ago why there is no physical salat ritual verse in the Qur'an in the same manner as the ablution verse, making ablution much more important to teach us than the physical ritual itself.

If Allah intended for us to do a ritual He would not leave it to us to patch together multiple verses of the Qur'an taken out of context, deliberately mistranslated, added to some hadith and then a load of 'scholarly' sunnahs!
infoaksayed@1234

In this Post, I will try and answer the two Posts of Jawaid Ahmed dated 14/01/2023.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You feel I made up the sights/sounds holy-rites/ceremonies church/mosques Books/Prophets. In my Post of 11/01/2023, I did make Quranic references to these Diversities. I thought it not necessary to repeat those references again. Maybe it was a mistake.

NATIONS AND TRIBES OF DIFFERENT SIGHTS/SOUNDS
QXP 49:13: O Mankind! We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes so that you may come to know one another.

HOLY-RITES/CEREMONIES
QXP 22:67: We have let every community hold some rites that they observe (as diversity in humanity 49:13). So, let them not involve you in their arguments, just call them to your Lord (2:177). You (O Prophet) are on the right way.

CHURCH/MOSQUES
QXP 72:18: Know that all Masjids (and temples of worship) are for God. ([Adoration, prostration, submission are due to God alone.) So, do not call upon anyone along with God. [Masjid = Mosque = Places of worship = Collective acts of submission = Ways of adoration = Obedience of Divine Commands = Centers of administering the Divine System. 9:17-18)

BOOKS/PROPHETS
QXP 42:13: He has ordained for you all, the same System of Life that He enjoined upon Noah – And We have revealed to you (O Prophet) the same message as We enjoined upon
Abraham, Moses, and Jesus: “Establish the Divine System of Life and make no sects in it.” (O Prophet) the unity you call to, it is hard upon the idolaters. God draws to Himself everyone who is willing, and guides to Himself everyone who turns to Him for guidance.“ [Sects vs. Unity: 3:32, 3:104, 6:160, 30:31, 42:13, 45:17-18]

God’s Word and Work abounds in Diversity. For example, He gave exactly the “same” knowledge of the Divine System to all the Prophets (Qur’an 49:13) in different languages (Qur’an 14:4). Likewise, He gave exactly the “same” knowledge of the Divine System to all His Prophets in different ways. For example, He spoke to Moses; He gave the Qur’an to Prophet Muhammad (s) through Wahy (Revelations) and Abraham by allowing him to use his intellect; and so on. And, in order to keep the knowledge of the Divine System exactly the “same” among all nations and tribes, He gave strict instructions to “all His Apostles not to say or do anything which was not revealed to them” (Qur’an 10:15, 53:3, 69:43-46). And “nothing was said to Prophet Muhammad (s), which was not said to all Apostles that came before him” (Qur’an 41:43). These also include the Diversities of sights/sounds, holy-rites/ceremonies, church/mosques and Books/Prophets. Hence, in the era of each Apostle of God, these Diversities did exist in their pure forms. Therefore, to say that a particular Diversity of one nation or tribe is better that of another in its pure form is foolish.

The Qur’an (23:52-53) states that in the midst of all these Diversities, all Apostles of God “belonged to one community”. It is now our duty as “vicegerents” of God on Earth to establish this “community” in all its God-given Diversity in its pure form, so that we can integrate, assimilate and even marry people of different Books and Prophets and live in peace with them, both in this world and the hereafter. It is not impossible to achieve. If people can lie repeatedly, like the West is doing in many issues of our lives to convince people that it is the truth, we can do the same with the Truth to bring it to light. It requires a massive effort from us. I have been doing this in my social media accounts for some time now and I am getting some positive responses from Muslims and non-Muslims alike and most of them are highly qualified academics. And by repeatedly making reference to the Qur’an on this issue, we will insha-Allah bring to light that the Qur’an is “The Mother of All Books”.

The problem with both the Muslim world as well as the non-Muslim world is that there exists “insolent envy” among their “scholars” in almost every issue of life, which is the cause for “schism” within and between all belief systems (Qur’an 45:17). Let us not become followers of Bukhari and Parvez. Let us learn Qur’an according to the Creeds of Abraham (a set of arguments he used to establish the Truth and Reality of God, Religion and Secularism), Qur’an (2:130), and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality), Qur’an (2:27, 13:21, !3,25), which are the injunctions of the Qur’an. These injunctions are “easy to understand and remember” (Qur’an 54:17,22,32,40).

AK Sayed
jawaidahmed

Post by jawaidahmed »

QXP 22:67: We have let every community hold some rites that they observe (as diversity in humanity 49:13). So, let them not involve you in their arguments, just call them to your Lord (2:177). You (O Prophet) are on the right way.

This is not the same as Allah giving us these rites as an obligation/Revelation to His Messengers, so now we have the Qur'an to be the criterion of what is and what is not required of us. You may well want to join the pooja worshippers in a physical ritual but as the Qur'an does not state this then it is not His requirement for us to perform.
I find bukhari a complete and utter fraud with nothing to add to the Qur'an, but scholars like Parvez and many others have helped us advance our knowledge of the Qur'an in a positive, rational and intellectual manner. You have to take what you find to be right from anyone.

The Creeds of Abraham are simple, Oneness of God, obedience to Him alone, rational thoughts and acts.
infoaksayed@1234

In your Post of 15/01/2023, you quoted Qur’an (22:67). This verse follows verse 22:34 in the Qur’an, which is translated as follows:

QXP 22:34: And to every community We have ordained rites that they might extol the Name of God over the sustenance He gave them from the livestock. But your God is the same; the One and only God. Therefore, submit to Him alone. And give good news to all those who are humble. [22:67]

As an injunction of 22:67, you said, “This is not the same as Allah giving us these rites as an obligation/Revelation to His Messengers, so now we have the Qur'an to be the criterion of what is and what is not required of us”.

Furthermore, you said, on this basis, “You may well want to join the pooja worshippers in a physical ritual but as the Qur'an does not state this then it is not His requirement for us to perform.

THIS TIME YOUR TASREEF HAS FAILED YOU. QUR’AN 22:34 CLEARLY STATES, “AND TO EVERY COMMUNITY WE HAVE ORDAINED RITES”. Therefore, your argument that “these rites are not obligatory Revelations to His Messengers” is FALSE.

This is exactly what Quranists who follow Parvez do. They leave out verses which do not suit them in their arguments and also leave out the translations of certain injunctions in the Qur’an like I have stated in Qur’an 4:101 where the translation of taqsuru (shorten) l-salati (the salat) and in 4:102 where the translation of fa-aqamta (you lead) lahumu (them) l-salata (in Salat) has been conveniently left out to suit their concept of the Bird’s Salat!!!

In addition to this, you said, “scholars like Parvez and many others have helped us advance our knowledge of the Qur'an in a positive, rational and intellectual manner”.

The big problem with Parvez is that he did not prefer Ilm-al-Kalam (the philosophical knowledge of the Qur’an) above Lughatul Qur’an and Tasreef, which is not an injunction of the Qur’an. Look at the mess you have put yourselves into, in understanding the true knowledge of the Qur’an.

Abraham was also “positive, rational and intellectual” but not in a modernist, secularist, feminist and liberalist sense like Parvez. He was “haneef”. In other words, he did not establish any knowledge, secular or religious, according to the “blind faith” methodology of Religion and Tradition or the “science-based, evidence –based” methodology of Modern Science.

He established all human knowledge according to the methodology of ilm-ul-yaqin (certainty of knowledge by inference and reasoning), ayn-ul-yaqin (certainty of knowledge by seeing and observing) and haqq-ul-yaqin (absolute knowledge, like this is a computer, etc), like plants and animals do.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You said, “The Creeds of Abraham are simple, Oneness of God, obedience to Him alone, rational thoughts and acts”.

You know very little about the Creeds of Abraham. I remember when I mentioned it to you years back you had many negative things to say about it.

The most important aspect of the Creeds of Abraham is that it is a human perspective of God, Religion and Secularism based on the intellect of a human without the help of God. The fact is that in keeping with God’s teaching of Unity in Diversity, God did not leave us with only His perspective of God, Religion and Secularism in a subjective manner, but found a way with the Creeds of Abraham to merge our human knowledge of God, Religion and Secularism with His, so that we may be as objective as He on this issue, and His Guidance in the context of the Laws of Nature and the wider universe.
AK Sayed
mrafi

Post by mrafi »

A Comparative Study of the "Tasrif" Verses in the Holy Quran in Al-Mizan and Majma Al-Bayan Commentaries
Ahmad Zare Zardini, Mojtaba Ansari Moghaddam

Abstract

The Holy Qur'an, the last divine book, has conveyed meaning in various ways. One of the Qur'anic modes of conveying meaning is the "Tasrif" method. In fact, "Tasrif" is the expression and transmission of a meaning in different ways. It is meant that Allah Almighty expresses a meaning in different ways. Understanding the method of these expressions has a great impact on a better and clearer understanding of the Holy Quran. The present study is a comparative-descriptive-analytical study that examines the verses of "Tasrif" in the Holy Quran from the perspective of two great commentary ie: Al-Mizan and Majma Al-Bayan. Ten verses of the Holy Qur'an refer to the "Tasrif" method. Including: (Al-An'am/ 46; Al-An'am/ 65; Al-An'am/ 105; Al-A'raf/ 58; Al-Isra/ 41; Al-Isra/ 89; Al-Kahf/ 54; Taha/ 113; Al-Furqan/ 50; Al-Ahqaf/ 27). By relying on these verses you can see that "tasrif" is of two kinds; in the nature (divine creature) and in the divine book. "Tasrif" in divine book is of two kindes: the etymological "tasrif" and the semantic "tasrif". These two scholars have suggested benefits for the "tasrif" style. Including: Learn from the meaning of the verses of the Qur'an, No excuse for people, To avoid false thoughts, To think, To understand the truth, To avoid sin, Thanks to divine blessings, And most importantly they worship God And finally return from disbelief.
6/105
It is thus that We cite the revelations and that they may Say: "You have studied," and We will make it clear for a people who know
Abdel Haleem

This is how We explain Our revelations in various ways- though they will say, ‘You [Muhammad] have been studying’- to make them clear for those who know
Abdul Majid Daryabadi

And Thus We variously propound the revelation, and this is in order that they may say: thou hast studied, and that We may expound it to a people who know
Ahmed Ali

Thus in varied ways We explain Our signs so that they may say: "You have been instructed," and that We might make it clear to those who understand
Aisha Bewley

That is how We vary the Signs, so that they say, ´You have been studying,´ and so We can make it clear to people who know
YusufTX

Post by YusufTX »

Brother AK Sayed,
You questioned:
“1. In QXP 4:101 the translation of taqsuru (shorten) l-salati (the salat) is missing completely. WHY????
2. In QXP 4:102, the translation of fa-aqamta (you lead) lahumu (them) l-salata (in prayer) is missing completely. WHY????”
I am the editor of QXP and do not see the above terms missing in QXP versions available in the QXP Library.
You can download the latest copy of QXP at http://www.ourbeacon.com/wordpress/?page_id=21 . Please let me know which version you find it missing so I can make necessary corrections.

In your response to Br Jawaid’s post on 22:67 and 22: 34 and your conclusion that his argument is false, here’s my response - in support of his argument:

Note: All the verses below are cited from QXP
You need to look at the complete context of 22:67, and earlier in 22:34. Quran is referring to the pagans/idol worshippers who hold such rites, not the Muslims:

22:34 And to every community We have ordained rites that they might extol the Name of God over the sustenance He gave them from the livestock. BUT your God is the same; the One and only God. Therefore, submit to Him alone. And give good news to all those who are humble.

Allah is referring to “them” (pagans) and whatever pooja-paat and rites they follow and invoke God’s name on their food. In contrast, the Quran reminds that “you” (believers) - your God is the one and the same.
This is further affirmed in this verse here that manasak (rites) have no value in Allah’s presence and only your devotion and goodness in slaughtering and distributing meat to everyone present including the needy counts.

22:37 Neither their meat nor their blood reaches God. What reaches Him is your devotion. He has thus subjected them to you that you manifestly establish the greatness of God in the land for everyone to behold (the objective of Hajj) - And to see how magnificent the guidance is that He has bestowed upon you. And (O Prophet) give good news to all benefactors of humanity.

Let’s now look at the build-up to and ending of 22:67 in the same Chapter. Reflect from 22:66, at minimum:
22:66 And He is the One Who gives you the gift of life, then He will cause you to die, and will then give you life again. Yet, UNGRATEFUL is man (not using the gift of life to its maximum potential).
22:67 We have let every community hold some rites that they observe (as diversity in humanity 49:13). So, let them not involve you in their arguments, just call them to your Lord (2:177). You (O Prophet) are on the right way.

Again, you will notice here there are two parties, Allah is referring to:
1. The non-believers, and
2. The believers.

The believers are instructed to NOT TO engage in arguments on ‘how’ or ‘why’ the non-believers perform whatever rites they perform. Our job is only to call them to the Lord since we are on the right path.

22:68 And if they argue with you, say, 'God is best Aware of what you do.'
22:69 God will judge among you regarding all your differences when humanity stands up on its feet, and finally on the Day of Resurrection.' [2:213, 22:17, 22:56]
22:70 Do you not know that God is fully Aware of all that is in the High and the Low? All that is in the Divine Database. Surely, all this is easy for God.
22:71 AND YET, THEY (seeing His Dominion of the Universe, and claiming to believe in Him) IDOLIZE INSTEAD OF GOD that wherein He has placed no power, and they know nothing about them. But there is no helper for those who relegate the truth. [They blindly follow their ancestors 10:39]

So you see, the best and only way to understand the Message in its entirety is by using TASREEF, as instructed in the Quran – reflecting and deliberating on a subject from different vantage points. TASREEF is not an injunction but a strongly prescribed requirement for a clear understanding of the Quran.

17:89 We have used TASREEF to explain The Qur'an in many facets for mankind. However, most people (due to arrogance, prejudice or blind following) remain ungrateful by rejecting such clear guidance.
18:54 Indeed, for the benefit of mankind We use TASREEF to explain the Qur'an from various vantage points. However, man, above all other imperfections, is given to contention.
-----------------------------
Let’s take another look at one other objection you raised about on discounting Salaat:

Just like many verses on various topics in Qur’an, the Big Picture and other references from within the Quran itself (Tasreef) must always be taken into consideration to correctly capture the essence and meaning of what’s being taught. Likewise, verses 4:101 and 102 must be reflected upon within the context of other related verses. Of note, verse 4:71 onwards you will find the details and the landscape are in view of war, migration, eviction, precaution from enemies, and engaging in battles.

4:71 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Take all your precautions. Then mobilize in groups or go forth all together (as commanded).
4:100 Anyone who emigrates in the cause of God, will find that God has placed refuge and abundance on earth. Whoever forsakes his home, as an immigrant to God and His Messenger, and death overtakes him, his reward is then incumbent upon God. God is ever Forgiving, Merciful (the Protector and Provider of guidance).
4:101 When you go forth on an expedition or travel, there is no blame on you in shortening your Salaat congregations if you fear that the disbelievers may attack you. The disbelievers are your ardent enemies. [2:3]
4:102 When you (O Messenger) are with them (on an expedition or travel), and stand to lead them in Salaat congregation, let some of them stand up with you taking their arms with them. After they have concluded their Salaat, let them fall to the rear and let another party come forth and keep their arms in all precaution while taking instructions. The disbelievers want you to neglect your arms and belongings so that they may attack you once and for all. There is no blame on you in laying aside your arms if rain impedes you or if you are ill. But take all possible precaution for yourselves. God has readied a humiliating punishment for the disbelievers.
4:103 After you are done with the congregation, remain mindful of God - standing, sitting or lying down. When you feel secure once again, establish Salaat as usual. Salaat at the times appointed by the Central Authority is mandatory unto believers. [3:191, 'Mauqoota' = Times appointed by the Central Authority]
4:104 Do not show weakness in pursuing the enemy. If you suffer hardship they too suffer hardship. But you have hope to receive God's reward that they cannot rightfully hope. God is the Knower, the Wise.

Salaat in these verses denote taking instructions from the Prophet (S), authorities and leaders, they are ordered to go back to standing guard at the rear of the congregation while another unit comes forward to take their instructions.

In verse 101, note “there is no blame on you” if you can reduce your Salat for fear of enemy strike.
The shortening/reducing of Salat (detailed instructions) on attack/defense strategies, could be crucial in tense situations where circumstances could change by the minute in an active battlefield. Also, Instructions provided to one group could be different from those to be provided to the next.

Picture this - Modern-day Eid Namaz (which is already set at a minimum of 2 rak’aats) at a sizeable (1000+) capacity hall holding 3, sometimes 4 congregations. It usually starts right after sunrise and by the time you are done with the 4th congregation you are well into Dhuhr time zone. Think about the time spent in changeovers, loading/unloading armors and weapons, exposing your vulnerabilities, location, and exposure to enemies. You are undergoing this exercise 5 times day. All the while, when you have a statutory warning in 4:102 that “The disbelievers want you to neglect your arms and belongings so that they may attack you once and for all.”’

If it were Namaz (or ritual pledge) instead of giving out Instructions, why is Allah asking the Prophet (S) to repeat his prayers by leading the second group in prayers, if he has already completed his prayers leading the first group? Makes no contextual sense.

Furthermore, Allah’s commands us:
17:110 “…And do not be too loud in your prayer, nor speak in a voice too low, but follow a way between.”
On the contrary, all the Namaz (ritual pledges, contact prayers, etc) fall out of compliance - with Fajr, Maghrib and Isha prayers led aloud while Zuhr and Asr prayers remain completely silent.

Another interesting aspect is the mention of “rain” and being “ill/sick”
In this context, compare “rain” with the raining of volcanic stones on People of Lut (AS) in:
7:84 And We rained a rain upon them (a huge shower of stones). See now how grievous was the end of the guilty. [A huge volcano was about to erupt. The Prophet of God had advance knowledge and he moved out at the right time, along with his followers]

The rain in 4:102 refers to rain of arrows, fireballs, pikes, etc. struck by the enemies, and not the rainfall. The Divine Instruction is to lay aside your offensive/assault gear and strengthen the defenses instead, during that time.

In the same vein, in 4:102 ‘sick’ or ‘ill’ indicates weakness or decrease in strength in combat. In this case:
“There is no blame on you in laying aside your arms” for attacking.
However, you are warned:
“But take all possible precaution for yourselves.”
i.e. by employing effective defense strategies - taking cover, delaying the advance of an attacker, buying time, and/or causing the attack to lose momentum over time, etc.
“God has readied a humiliating punishment for the disbelievers.”

In 4:103:
After you are done with the congregation, remain mindful of God - standing, sitting or lying down. When you feel secure once again, establish Salaat as usual. Salaat at the times appointed by the Central Authority is mandatory unto believers. [3:191, 'Mauqoota' = Times appointed by the Central Authority]

After the Salaat of taking Instructions, you are instructed to remain mindful of God by emphasizing His Divine Commandments while you are sitting in ambush in foxholes or standing guard on the sides of your garrison in trenches, or lying in prone positions in shell scrapes, thereby fulfilling your duties in holding your posts firmly. The instruction is to keep inviting your own attention to Salat – His Divine Instructions, and your duty in accomplishing them.

4:59 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Obey God and obey the Messenger, the Central Authority of the Divine System, and those in charge among you (whom the System has appointed as office-bearers). If you have a dispute concerning any matter, refer it to the Central Authority. If you truly believe in God and the Last Day, this is the best approach for you, and more seemly in the end.
2:190 Fight in the cause of God those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression. God does not love aggressors.

Do not show weakness!
4:104 Do not show weakness in pursuing the enemy. If you suffer hardship they too suffer hardship. But you have hope to receive God's reward that they cannot rightfully hope. God is the Knower, the Wise.

All above verses are related to specific conditions of travel or expedition under the threat of persecution, attack or harm from the enemies.
------------------
On your objection on Allama Parvez:
“The big problem with Parvez is that he did not prefer Ilm-al-Kalam (the philosophical knowledge of the Qur’an) above Lughatul Qur’an and Tasreef…”

For a quick reference on Islamic philosophers and Sufis, and the wreckage they have caused to Islam, read “The Criminals of Islam”, compiled by our late Dr Shabbir, available at Ourbeacon Library at: http://www.ourbeacon.com/wordpress/?page_id=21.

We will discuss further after you have read it...
YusufTX
Dallas, TX
infoaksayed@1234

Dear Brother Yusuf,

Years back when I was engaged on this platform, I downloaded the Fourth Edition of QXP.

But just leave that out for now because it would not make any difference to what we wish to discuss in this Post.

You said: You need to look at the complete context of 22:67, and earlier in 22:34. Quran is referring to the pagans/idol worshippers who hold such rites, not the Muslims:

I disagree. To explain this, let’s take the following verses of the Qur’an, where the Arabic word “ummatin” is translated as “community”.
QXP 10:47 -Every community has had a Messenger. They were judged in all equity only after their Messenger came (and delivered the message), and they were never wronged.

QXP 16:36 -We have raised in every community a Messenger, saying, “Serve God alone and shun false gods in any form.” Then God guided some of the people (since they followed the laws of guidance 4:88). And error took hold of others (who fell into arrogance or blind following 18:29). So, travel through the earth, and see what the end was of the deniers.

22:34 -And to every community We have ordained rites that they might extol the Name of God over the sustenance He gave them from the livestock. But your God is the same; the One and only God. Therefore, submit to Him alone. And give good news to all those who are humble. [22:67]

In 10:47 and 16:36, Allah states, “He raised a Messenger (rasools) in every community (ummatin)”. According to some scholars there were some 124 000 of them. Therefore, your argument in 22:34 that the “Qur’an is referring to the pagans/idol worshippers who hold such rites, not Muslims” is False. Muslims also “extol the Name of God over the sustenance He gave them from the livestock”.
You said, “Let’s take another look at one other objection you raised about on discounting Salaat:

Just like many verses on various topics in Qur’an, the Big Picture and other references from within the Quran itself (Tasreef) must always be taken into consideration to correctly capture the essence and meaning of what’s being taught. Likewise, verses 4:101 and 102 must be reflected upon within the context of other related verses. Of note, verse 4:71 onwards you will find the details and the landscape are in view of war, migration, eviction, precaution from enemies, and engaging in battles”.

Please consider the fact that Tasreef did fail you and Jawaid in 22:34. Now, let’s take your latest translation of 4:101 in QXP, which is as follows:

QXP 4:101 -When you go forth on an expedition or travel, there is no blame on you in shortening your Salaat congregations if you fear that the disbelievers may attack you. The disbelievers are your ardent enemies. [2:3]

Now in you have translated taqsuru (shorten) l-salati (the salat) to mean SHORTEN THE CONGREGATION.

QXP 4:102 When you (O Messenger) are with them (on an expedition or travel), and stand to lead them in Salaat congregation, let some of them stand up with you taking their arms with them. After they have concluded their Salaat, let them fall to the rear and let another party come forth and keep their arms in all precaution while taking instructions.

Here again, you have added the word “congregation” to Salaat and replaced the words fa-idha sajadu (Then when they have prostrated) with words “After they have concluded their Salaat”. Do you not see how you are manipulating (stage managing) the translation of the Qur’an to suit your version of the Salaat?

The following translations of Qur’an (7:29) clearly implies that in every masjid, we must sincerely pledge to God “making the deen pure for Him (only)”:
Pickthall 7:29: Say: My Lord enjoineth justice. And set your faces upright (toward Him) at every place of worship and call upon Him, making religion pure for Him (only). As He brought you into being, so return ye (unto Him).
Yusuf Ali 7:29: Say: "My Lord hath commanded justice; and that ye set your whole selves (to Him) at every time and place of prayer, and call upon Him, making your devotion sincere as in His sight: such as He created you in the beginning, so shall ye return."
QXP 7:29: Say (O Messenger), “My Lord enjoins justice and moderation and to stand devoted to Him alone in complete submission. Call unto Him, sincere in your faith in Him alone. He is the One Who brought you into being in the first place, and to Him you will return.” (And this is how you can regain your lost Paradise in both worlds).

In 4:102, it is being demonstrated that under certain circumstances, the Salat as a “pledge” can be completed in one rukhu with prostration.

In Qur’an, the following acts of Salat coincide with Traditional Salat:

1. Azaan (5:58)
2. Wudhu (5:6)
3. Direction (2:142-145, 150) (changed from Jerusalem to Mecca.
4. Stand in Salah and recite Qur’an (73:20, 17:78)
5. Bowing and Prostration and “mark” on their faces (48:29, 4:102)
6. When travelling “shorten” Salah (4:101)
7. Lead them in Salah (4:102)
8. Times of Salah (11:114, 17:78, 2:238, 24:58)

None of these acts of Salah apply to the Salah of the Birds. It is a great co-incidence that all these compulsory (faraiz) acts of Traditional Salah concur with the respective Ayahs of the Qur’an.

I wish: the day will come when we will be able agree that our Salat become a “pledge” of the individual and the congregation according to Qur’an Alone, and that in all masjids we can establish pure teachings of the Deen by shura and ijma of the ummah, not ulama.

AK Sayed
YusufTX

Post by YusufTX »

‘Ummatin’ here does mean EVERY ‘community’. This word is not limited to “ Every Muslim community” solely.

You presented 10:47 that represented Muslim community. Nevertheless in 16:36 you skipped in explaining “error took hold of others”. This means even after the Message was delivered some of them - “others” - fell into arrogance. The arrogant folks were also from the same community which believers belonged to.

The Quran provides many examples of ‘Ummatin’ who rejected the Message and the Messengers.

4:41 How will it be with them when (on the Resurrection Day) We bring from every community (ummatin) a witness (their Prophet 10:47), and We bring you (O Messenger), a witness among these people (your contemporaries)? [2:143]
4:42 On that Day, those who denied the truth and paid no heed to the Messenger will wish that they were level with the ground. But not a single utterance or event could they hide from God.

16:84 And think of the Day when We shall raise among every community (ummatin) a witness, then no excuse will be accepted from those who rejected the truth, nor will they be allowed to make amends.

Before we delve into rites, we must fully comprehend the objective and purpose of Hajj. It invites all of mankind, not just Muslims. Again, by using Tasreef and keeping the context in mind, the purpose becomes obvious:

22:27 'And announce to MANKIND the duty of Pilgrimage. They will come to you on foot, and on every kind of fast mount, coming from every far away point on earth.'

22:34 And to every community We have ordained rites that they might extol the Name of God over the sustenance He gave them from the livestock. But your God is the same; the One and only God. Therefore, submit to Him alone. And
give good news to all those who are humble. [22:67]

22:67 We have let every community hold some rites that they observe (as diversity in humanity 49:13). So, let them not involve you in their arguments, just call them to your Lord (2:177). You (O Prophet) are on the right way.

Animal sacrifices to deities date back thousands of years and are still widely prevalent today. Believers are reminded to not argue with pagans or idol worshippers on their rites (including what, how and who they offer their sacrifices upon). The duty of Muslims is only to call non-believers humbly to Allah. Because once they accept Islam, all their rites and activities will inevitably come to an end. Although the idol worshippers make offerings to their gods, Allah assures the believers us that only He is the God, and the same God.

To your argument, let’s say if ‘Ummatin’ was confined only to “every Muslim community”, then why would there be a need to “call them to your Lord” at all, since you claim “they” are already Muslims? They and “us” are following exactly the same guidance from Allah - “your God is one and same as theirs”?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On QXP 4:101 and 102 along with preceding and successive verses are all in conjunction, and complement one another. Remember, we are talking about the time of expedition and migration in groups under threat of enemy attack and warfare.

The Exalted Messenger is blessed by Allah with the liberty to shortening the Divine instructions (Salat) and to leading an assembly of believers (congregation) in imparting Divine instructions. Once the Divine instructions (Salaat) are concluded, the assembly is to be replaced by the next assembly of believers to be receiving their set of divine instructions.
Conclusion of Salat comes only after the assembly’s (congregation) commitment, acceptance and total obedience to the conveyed ‘Divine Instructions’.
Sajdah = Prostration = Complete submission = Willful obedience = Utter humility = Adoration
= Utmost commitment to Divine cause = Humbling one’s own self.

Sajdah is not confined to the ritualistic physical motions. It conveys a more sublime Message of being humble and submitting to God’s commands. It means total obedience and submission and acceptance and is not referring to the act of physical bowing.

16:49 And all living things which are in the highs and lows of the universe bow before Allah and do not rebel (following laws)

68:42 On the Day when they are confronted with the stark reality and are summoned to submit, they shall not be able to show sincere submission. [It will be too late]

68:43 Their eyes drooping, humiliation will overwhelm them. And they had been repeatedly invited to submit when they were able.

Lastly, I would strongly advise you to step out of ‘translations only mode’ in your study of Quran. Otherwise, you will always be stuck with literal meanings such as moon splitting, throne of God, Moosa’s (AS) staff transforming into serpent, mark on forehead - in fact, it is wajh on complete face. 'Signs on their faces' = Reflection of faith in the believer's mannerism; etc.

Look at dictionaries of Quranic Arabic – Arabic Mubeen, Tasreef, context, idioms, metaphors, and similes and allegories. And a deep reflection on verse 3:7 –

3:7 (The Book He has sent down, bears an important Principle.) He is the One Who has revealed to you (O Prophet) the Scripture. In it some verses are fundamental (literal with established meanings), while some verses are allegorical. The verses that pertain to Permanent Values have been presented literally. These verses, 'Muhkamat', are the essence of the Divine Laws. But abstract phenomena, historical events, the future and the World of the Unseen are described in similes, metaphors and allegories (Mutashaabihaat) for your understanding. But those who are given to crookedness in their hearts pursue the allegories and try to give them literal meanings, thus creating dissension of thought. None encompasses their final meaning (of such as the Essence of God, His Throne, His Hand, His Book of Decrees, the exact mode of Revelation on the heart of the Messengers, the Eternity) but God. Those who are well founded in knowledge understand why the allegories have been used and they keep learning from them. They proclaim the belief that the entire Book is from their Lord. As the human knowledge evolves, more and more allegories will unfold their literal meaning. But only the men and women of understanding will bear this fact in mind.
[Every verse of the Qur'an is absolute truth. The context enables us to understand which ones are to be taken literally and which ones are to be taken allegorically. Each verse in the Book complements another. Many of today's allegorical verses will become literal as the human knowledge evolves. 11:1, 39:23, 41:53, 47:20, 74:31]
YusufTX
Dallas, TX
infoaksayed@1234

You said, ‘Ummatin’ here does mean EVERY ‘community’. This word is not limited to “ Every Muslim community” solely.

Then you said, “You presented 10:47 that represented Muslim community. Nevertheless in 16:36 you skipped in explaining “error took hold of others”. This means even after the Message was delivered some of them - “others” - fell into arrogance. The arrogant folks were also from the same community which believers belonged to”.

In 10:47, I clearly declared that “ummatin” referred to “Every community”, the all the people of the different nations/tribes, which comprised of believers and unbelievers. You are the one who claimed “ummatin” meant solely the Muslim community.

When Prophet Muhammad (s) attained Prophethood, no Muslim community existed in Saudi Arabia then. He had to develop one from a community, which was largely pagan. Hence, some of them believed in the Message, some became hypocrites and a large majority remained pagan, until the Conquest of Makkah.

Let’s take 16:36 where you state that I skipped explaining “error took hold of the others”. Therefore, let’s visit 16:26 as I presented it to you, which is as follows:

QXP 16:36 -We have raised in every community a Messenger, saying, “Serve God alone and shun false gods in any form.” Then God guided some of the people (since they followed the laws of guidance 4:88). And error took hold of others (who fell into arrogance or blind following 18:29). So, travel through the earth, and see what the end was of the deniers.

At that time when this verse and all the other verses were revealed to Prophet Muhammad (s), Muslims were not living throughout the earth. Therefore, your assessment that in this verse “ummatin” refers only to the Muslim community is wrong. The last statement of this verse, which states “So, travel through the earth, and see what the end was of the deniers”, makes that very clear.

You said, “The Quran provides many examples of ‘Ummatin’ who rejected the Message and the Messengers”.

To support your argument you used the following verse of the Qur’an:
4:41 How will it be with them when (on the Resurrection Day) We bring from every community (ummatin) a witness (their Prophet 10:47), and We bring you (O Messenger), a witness among these people (your contemporaries)? [2:143]

Let me first tell you something, which makes your knowledge of the Qur’an, inaccurate. In 10:47, there is no mention of a Prophet (Naby). It clearly states that Allah sent a Rasul (Messenger) to EVERY community (Ummatin).
Therefore, in 4:41, Allah is telling the Prophet Muhammad (s) that “from every community (ummatin) We will bring a witness”, and that his community will not be an exception.

QXP 54:17, 22, 32 and 40 states:
“We have made the Qur´an easy to understand. Then, is there any who will learn”?

Yusuf Ali: And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?

To explain that Qur’an is easy to understand and remember, let’s take the issue of the Qibla. The following are some of the verses of the Qur’an to this effect:

Sahih International (2:142): The foolish among the people will say, "What has turned them away from their qiblah, which they used to face?" Say, "To Allah belongs the east and the west. He guides whom He wills to a straight path."

Sahih International (2:143): And thus we have made you a just community that you will be witnesses over the people and the Messenger will be a witness over you. And We did not make the qiblah which you used to face except that We might make evident who would follow the Messenger from who would turn back on his heels. And indeed, it is difficult except for those whom Allah has guided. And never would Allah have caused you to lose your faith. Indeed Allah is, to the people, Kind and Merciful.

Sahih International (2:144): We have certainly seen the turning of your face, [O Muhammad], toward the heaven, and We will surely turn you to a qiblah with which you will be pleased. So turn your face toward al-Masjid al-haram. And wherever you [believers] are, turn your faces toward it [in prayer]. Indeed, those who have been given the Scripture well know that it is the truth from their Lord. And Allah is not unaware of what they do.

In the above verses of the Qur’an, let’s take the statements, which are concerned with the direction of the Salat. They are as follows:

In 2:142, The foolish will say, "What has turned them away from their Qiblah, which they used to face?"

In 2:143, And We did not make the qiblah which you used to face except that We might make evident who would follow the Messenger from who would turn back on his heels

In 2:144, So turn your face toward al-Masjid al-haram

I am an ordinary person and I am not a follower of Parvez or Bukhari, and likewise not an Aalim. In these verses of the Qur’an, I can clearly see that Allah did not instruct the Prophet (s) anywhere in the Qur’an to face in the direction of Jerusalem when he made Salah before Allah instructed him to face Masjid al-haram after 14 years of his Prophethood. Allah said that He did this because He wanted the Prophet (s) to now (after 14 years of his Prophethood) distinguish the sincere believers of the Deen among all who believed and the unbelievers.

This, in itself shows that the Prophet (s) was following the Tradition of the descendants of Abraham, which existed at that time, not Hadith, and the Qur’an was teaching him step by step, what was correct method of performing the Salat according to that Tradition, in both its physical and spiritual form.

What does turning the “face to Masjid al-Haram” mean in your version of Salah?

In my book titled POST MODERN RELIGION with subtitle “A Restrictive Definition of Secular and Religion”, I have more often quoted QXP than Yusuf Ali’s translation because they have been better than the best. But when it came to issues like salat, angels, jinns, Virgin Birth of Jesus, the creation of the heavens and the earth, Evolution, the creation of Adam, etc, I had to look to Yusuf Ali’s translations because they conveyed the correct Message of the Qur’an on these issues according to the Creeds of Abraham and the worldview teachings of Tawhid (unity and universality).

See, as far as the issue of Salat is concerned, I think I had enough discussion on the matter by demonstrating how QXP has manipulated its meaning and Message from the Fourth Edition to the Sixth, and still you are making a mess of it. For example, in the Fourth Edition, the translations of the words taqsuru (shorten) l-salati (the salat) and fa-aqamta (you lead) lahumu (them) l-salata (in prayer) was left out completely because they contradicted your version of the Salat. And now in the Sixth Edition you have the situation even more bizarre by stating taqsuru (shorten) l-salati (the salat) means SHORTEN THE CONGREGATION. Here, you have even failed to distinguish the difference between SALAT and CONGREGATION.

Sahih International 42:13: “----Allah chooses for Himself whom He wills and guides to Himself whoever turns back [to Him]”.

When there is total confusion in the Knowledge of the Deen in the Muslim and non-Muslim world, like it is at the present moment, Allah will CHOOSE a person to rectify the situation from among us as His Rasul (Messenger) and give him a very strong Sign that He has CHOSEN him.

But in a case like ours, where we are not willing to leave the Fellowship of Parvez or Bukhari or that of our parents or imams, etc, we will never be blessed to find the correct knowledge of the Qur’an, unless we TURN BACK to ALLAH ALONE and HIS GUIDANCE as Truth Seekers.

AK Sayed
YusufTX

Post by YusufTX »

-----------------------
AK Sayed:
In 10:47 and 16:36, Allah states, “He raised a Messenger (rasools) in every community (ummatin)”. According to some scholars there were some 124 000 of them. Therefore, your argument in 22:34 that the “Qur’an is referring to the pagans/idol worshippers who hold such rites, not Muslims” is False. Muslims also “extol the Name of God over the sustenance He gave them from the livestock”.
-----------------------
YusufTX:
If it is False, then what in your opinion is True?
We both concur ‘Ummatin’ means ‘Every Community’. So, let’s not go back and forth in circles but stick to the ‘rites’ subject for now.
In the following verses:
22:67 We have let every community hold some rites that they observe (as diversity in humanity 49:13). So, let THEM not involve you in their arguments, just call THEM to your Lord (2:177). You (O Prophet) are on the right way.

According to your understanding , who is “THEM” in the above verses? And, who are “THEY” in the below verses?

Below are the verses in continuation and support of 22:67:
22:68 And if THEY argue with you, say, 'God is best Aware of what you do.'

22:69 God will judge among you regarding all your differences when humanity stands up on its feet, and finally on the Day of Resurrection.' [2:213, 22:17, 22:56]

22:70 Do you not know that God is fully Aware of all that is in the High and the Low? All that is in the Divine Database. Surely, all this is easy for God.

22:71 And yet, THEY (seeing His Dominion of the Universe, and claiming to believe in Him) IDOLIZE instead of God that wherein He has placed no power, and they know nothing about them. But there is no helper for those who relegate the truth. [They blindly follow their ancestors 10:39]
-----------------------------------------------------
AK Sayed:
Let me first tell you something, which makes your knowledge of the Qur’an, inaccurate. In 10:47, there is no mention of a Prophet (Naby). It clearly states that Allah sent a Rasul (Messenger) to EVERY community (Ummatin).
Therefore, in 4:41, Allah is telling the Prophet Muhammad (s) that “from every community (ummatin) We will bring a witness”, and that his community will not be an exception.
----------------------------
YusufTX:
There are many terms used in the Qur’an that have no satisfactory English equivalent, therefore, we are compelled to use the terminology in general use. For example: NABI has to be translated as Prophet although NABI is not someone who makes prophecies.

Men who got revelation from God and took it to the people are called Allah’s (ar-rasul). The
Quran has called them Ambiya, as well as Rusul. There is no difference between a nabi (Prophet) and a rasul (Messenger).

----------------------------------------
AK Sayed:
QXP 54:17, 22, 32 and 40 states:
“We have made the Qur´an easy to understand. Then, is there any who will learn”?

Yusuf Ali: And We have indeed made the Qur'an easy to understand and remember: then is there any that will receive admonition?
------------------------------------
YusufTX:
You will find the following interpretations:
Muhammad Asad: …who, then, is willing to take it to heart
The Clear Quran, Dr. Mustafa Khattab: …So is there anyone who will be mindful?
Safi Kaskas: …Who, then, is willing to keep it in mind?
Dr. Laleh Bakhtiar: …Then, is there one who recalls?
And your very own, Sahih International: …so is there any who will remember

All versions above, including QXP and Y. Ali, in my humble understanding, convey the same meaning although using various words and expressions. What is the issue here?
-------------------------------------------
AK Sayed:
What does turning the “face to Masjid al-Haram” mean in your version of Salah?
YusufTX:
The verses are not commanding people to turn their faces to Masjid-il-Haraam! The following QXP rendition makes it clear the objective and purpose of keeping yourself focused on the Masjid-il-Haraam (the Sacred Masjid, the Ultimate Center for the unity of all mankind.)

2:142 Those of little understanding among people say, 'What has turned them from the Qiblah they (Jews) used to follow? Say, 'Unto God belongs the East and the West. He guides to the straight path whoever wills (to be guided).' [Qiblah = Center of devotion = Symbol of uniform Ideology = Center for the unity of mankind = Deen = System of Life. The Children of Israel have considered Jerusalem as their Center of devotion but the Jews always believed in a tribal god and, hence, a tribal center. But God is the Lord of all humanity. He makes no distinction between Jews and Gentiles. And the Qur'an invites all mankind to become one community. His Final Message is not confined to a particular tribe, nation or group of people. Ka'bah, the first House of Monotheism, was erected by Abraham in Makkah. It has always been the Qiblah for all humanity. 2:213, 3:96, 4:170, 6:91-92, 7:158, 10:19, 12:104, 21:107, 22:49, 34:28, 38:87, 57:25, 114:1]

2:143 Thus We have made you a Middle Community that you might be witnesses over all mankind and the Messenger a witness over yourselves. We have appointed the Qiblah that you have always been used to (O Messenger) in order to distinguish him who follows the Messenger, from him who turns about on his heels. Indeed, it has been difficult except for those guided by God. God would never let your faith go vain. God is Compassionate and Merciful to mankind. [Ummah = Community = A Community based on Divine Ideology. 'Middle Community' = Equidistant to all nations. 'Turns about on his heels' = Goes back to his old ways. 2:142, 4:88, 29:25]

2:144 We have seen your eagerness (O Messenger), therefore, We will certainly make you control and administer the Qiblah that is dear to you (for its Sublime Objective). Keep your purpose focused on the Masjid of Security. Wherever you believers are, keep your purpose focused on the objective (of unity of mankind). Those who have been given the Scripture before know that this (Revelation) is the Truth from their Lord. God is not unaware of what they do.
[The verse is not commanding people to turn their faces. See 2:177. Wajh = Face = Countenance = Whole being = Purpose. Qiblah = Ka'bah = Direction = Center of devotion = Masjid of Security = Source of peace and security for all humanity = Symbol of a Uniform Ideology = Symbol of pure Monotheism = Center of the unity of mankind. Ka'bah has been the Center of devotion for all humanity ever since it was erected by Prophets Abraham and Ishmael. 2:142, 2:213, 3:96, 4:170, 6:91-92, 7:158, 10:19, 12:104, 21:107, 22:49, 34:28, 38:87, 57:25, 114:1]

2:145 Even if you were to place all evidence together before the People of the Book, they would not follow your Qiblah. Neither may you follow their Qiblah, nor will they follow each other's Qiblah. If you followed their errant views after the knowledge has come to you, you will be among the misdirected. [Qiblah = Direction = Focal Point = It is the tangible but symbolic structure for unity of mankind. People honor the temples of their choice. They will recognize the Ka'bah as their own Qiblah when evolution of human civilization brings them to the right conclusion. 2:158, 3:97, 4:170, 6:84-91, 22:23-28. Zaalimeen = Oppressors = Those who hurt themselves or others = Who displace something from its rightful place = Who relegate the truth = Violators of human rights = Commonly translated as wrongdoers]

2:146 Those to whom We gave the Scripture before, recognize this (Revelation) as they recognize their own children but some of them (their scholars) conceal the truth, and they very well know it. [The advent of Prophet Muhammad from the Ishmaelite descendants of Abraham has been foretold in the Bible. Genesis 21:13-18. Gospel of John 14:16, 15:26, 16:7. See QXP 2:125. Historically, the Gospel of Saint Barnabas, which was accepted and widely read in churches, has the name 'Muhammad' in it. But Pope Gelasius found the Arabic name distasteful and banned that Gospel in 496 CE. The Italian translation of Barnabas was discovered in Vienna, Austria in the 16th century]

2:147 This (Qur'an) is the Truth from your Lord, so never be of those who waver.

2:148 (Mere rituals carry no importance.) Each one has a goal toward which he turns. Then strive together toward all that is good. Wherever you may be and whatever stand you take, God will bring you all together. Indeed, God is Able
to do all things. [Innallaha 'ala kulli shayin Qadeer = God is Able to do all things = He is the All Powerful Appointer of His Laws = He has assigned due proportion for all things and events. 2:177, 57:20, 83:19-28, 102:1-2. Shayi = Thing = Derived meaning, event. The real objective for people is to compete with one another in human welfare and develop their innate capacities. God will bring all people together under the banner of One Ideology, and ultimately gather them on the Day of Resurrection]

2:149 From wherever you start forth (whichever way you proceed, and whatever you are preoccupied with), keep yourself focused on the Masjid-il-Haraam (the Sacred Masjid, the Ultimate Center for the unity of all mankind.) This proclamation is the Truth from your Lord. God is not unaware of what you do (with your life).

2:150 Again, regardless of wherever you are and whichever way you are proceeding, you must keep yourself focused on the Masjid-il-Haraam (the Center for all humanity). If you abide by (this command) it will leave no grounds for people to dispute with you except the unjust fault-finders among them. Do not be intimidated by them, but stand in awe of Me so that I may perfect My grace upon you, and that you may be rightly guided. [2:6, 5:2-3. The blessed results of unity in diversity will become a living witness to their objections]
-------------------------
YusufTX:
I am also interested in finding which verses in the Qur’an, do you consider as ‘Mutashaabihaat’ (Reference: 3:7).
Y.Ali call these verses “allegorical” while Sahih Intl calls these “unspecific”.

-------------------------
YusufTX:
You have also been persistently ranting about manipulating the meanings, while citing older versions of QXP. I had already requested to provide me with the versions and references so I can make the needed corrections and amendments. The older versions of QXP are null and void. Please make sure to always use the latest version found in the QXP library.
Also, let me remind you, in late Dr Shabbir’s own words, about revisions:
A Project Done In Full Public View

The first edition of QXP - “The Qur’an As It Explains Itself” - was completed in April 2003 as
”The Qur’an As I Understand”. It is the first ever rendition of the Qur’an into any language that
has been done in full public view. From the very first letter in 2001, it had been made available on
the Internet. This proved to be a blessing. Some great scholars of the Qur’an and of the Arabic
linguistics around the world helped me make the rendition as accurate and clear as possible. QXP
is an ongoing project with continued improvement of our English exposition. We cannot ’finish’ the
Qur’an but we can ’finish’ our life in it.

Respectfully, here is the sixth edition and God willing, I hope to continue working for another
improved version. Al-Qur’an is a timeless Book and we humans have to keep pace with it as our
knowledge keeps advancing. The study of the Qur’an should be continuous and renewed as often as
possible. I entrust this formidable task to my students, children and the coming generations.

Please remember that the author of this rendition is by no means infallible. Nothing in this work
is etched in stone and certainly it is not the last word. We will always remain open to comments and
suggestions from any quarters. Good suggestions will be adopted and any errors rectified without
hesitation.

With sincere thanks,
Shabbir Ahmed, M.D.
YusufTX
Dallas, TX