Challenging the Divine — Does Qur’anic Verse 4:34 Deliver a Free Pass for Muslim Men to Beat Their Wives?

Welcome to our new OurBeacon Forum!
abdalazizariff

Challenging the Divine — Does Qur’anic Verse 4:34 Deliver a Free Pass for Muslim Men to Beat Their Wives?

Post by abdalazizariff »

"Genesis 3:16 of the Bible and the Torah provides an inkling of the place held by women in two of the three Abrahamic religions: Judaism and Christianity. In every single translation of that verse, pain and submission are identified as a woman’s lot in life. In the King James Version we find, “ Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.”

"This quote, translated from Arabic, clearly seems to grant men the right, nay, the obligation, to commit domestic violence against their wives should they perceive her behavior as inappropriate, stubborn, or promiscuous. That supposedly divine doctrine has guided the fists, belts, shoes, and sticks of too many Muslim husbands in the past 1500 years. This is not to say that Christian men, Jewish men, and male devotees of other religions don’t beat their wives. In the US, for example, 20 people per minute are victimized by some form of domestic violence or abuse, spiritual devotions notwithstanding. Abroad, especially in patriarchal cultural systems, the number per capita may be even higher, resulting in an array of horrors including permanent or temporary injury, PTSD, psychological problems, thoughts of and actual suicide, and multi-pronged damage to any children involved."

https://medium.com/illumination/challen ... e91479558a

Is this the most controversial verse in the Qur'an?
https://youtu.be/kofEZyh678w

[ this may be the best book--The Qur'an and the Abuse of Women Volume 3 - Qur'an Unchained
J R Ahmed (author)]

free gift
archive / Forged Writing in the Name of God—Why the Bible’s Authors Are Not Who We Think They Are
Bart D. Ehrman
[he has other books all available at archive]
jawaidahmed

Re: Challenging the Divine — Does Qur’anic Verse 4:34 Deliver a Free Pass for Muslim Men to Beat Their Wives?

Post by jawaidahmed »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGkLLXCf2nU

abdulaziz, bhai. I have just uploaded my Beating Women video to youtube on this very issue.

Paul from Blogging Theology is an ignorant man. He is well read and intelligent so why do I call him ignorant? If you watch his videos at Speakers Corner he will destroy any false belief by Christians by telling them that it is not in the Bible or they have misrepresented, twisted a verse.
When it comes to Islam and the Qur'an, he does exactly what he complains about to Christians! That is ignorance.

I have a disagreement with Dr Saab over 4:34 as he puts the meaning of idrbuhunna as punishing women through official channels, though not beating by husbands which is the worst option. I see the 'wa' in "wa-iḍ'ribūhunna" as an explainer not a separator, in other words the Qur'an reinforces the separation of the couple and not that we take the two events as separate. The video explains this.
jawaidahmed

Re: Challenging the Divine — Does Qur’anic Verse 4:34 Deliver a Free Pass for Muslim Men to Beat Their Wives?

Post by jawaidahmed »

The Bukharians say that wife beating is backed up by sahih hadith, so must be true regardless of the evidence from the Qur'an and dictionary meanings.
Changing indoctrinated minds is like flogging a dead donkey.