A Common But Overlooked Form Of 'SHIRK'

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Dr. Shabbir

A Common But Overlooked Form Of 'SHIRK'

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

WHAT WILL PEOPLE SAY?

It is one of the popular sayings, "While in Rome, do as the Romans do." Every so often we hear, "Yes, but - What will people say?" Do we realize how frequently this attitude equates Shirk (assigning gods besides God)?
If we kept wedding simple, what will people say? If I confessed that I am not fasting, what will people say? If I sought help because the husband abuses me, what will people say? If I do not attend the champagne party, what will people say? If I married this poor person, what will people say? If I put on inexpensive jewelry, what will people say? If I got divorced, what will people say? If I ate hamburger what will people say --- and so on. The list is endless.
A true Muslim must do what the Qur'an calls Ma'roof (virtue), and abstain from what the Book calls Munkar (evil).
11:91 They said, "O Shoaib! We do not understand much of what you say. And behold! We do see you powerless in our midst. Were it not for your tribe, we should certainly have stoned you for, you are not strong against us."
11:92 He said, "O My people! Is my tribe more honorable to you than Allah, that you disregard Him as a thing cast behind your back? (You take His Name as a formality and in real life assign Him the back seat). Behold! My Lord surrounds what you do."
Wassalam,
SA