BLOG 70 - Was Allama Iqbal a sectarian?

Welcome to New and Improved Beacon Forum. Here all General Discussions and News items can be posted and discussed.
Dr. Shabbir

BLOG 70 - Was Allama Iqbal a sectarian?

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Was Allama Iqbal a sectarian?
Date: Saturday, 19 March 2011, 6:55 pm

Answer to a Shi'ah Sunni group email both claiming Allama Iqbal being on their side. [Shabbir, a true admirer of the great Allama, had to translate the following with a heavy heart. Was Allama Iqbal really a sectarian?]

Let me draw your kind attention to Allama Iqbal's living will published in a most reliable Biographical highlights book ROZGAAR-E-FAQIR by Faqir Syed Wahiduddin vol II page 59 (Maktabah Tameer-e-Insaaniat, Lahore, 1987 edition)

Iqbal writes: "Everyone knows my Mazhabi and Deeni aqaaed (religious beliefs) . In religious beliefs, I am a follower of SALAF (the ancient Sunni Imams) .

Theoretically, in matters of FIQH, I am a ghair muqallid (follower of none of the Imams of FIQH).

In practice, I am a follower of Hazrat Imam Abu Hanifa. I urge my family, inheritors and lawyers to be particularly careful in this matter for marriage of the children and before my family enters into any bond of relationship (with people). This will be a duty binding on them.

Gentle disposition and religiousness must take precedence over knowledge, wealth and physical appearance."
- Muhammad Iqbal Barrister
13 October 1935.

Note: Parentheses mine.
Wassalam,
SA