Cosmetics use by women?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
crschatz

Cosmetics use by women?

Post by crschatz »

Assalamu alaikum,

I've been looking in the Qur'an to find some guidance on the use of cosmetics by women. I rarely wear make-up, but it's more out of laziness than modesty! But I do wear make-up for job interviews and also to big occasions like weddings so I look more "polished" in the first case and festive in the second case. And sometimes I see hijabi and even niqabi women wearing very heavy eye make-up. I try to use a light touch so the the make-up looks natural, but I'm still wondering: do other N1I sisters wear lipstick, blush, eye shadow, mascara? And what about nail polish? (something I honestly never use) Do cosmetics cross the line into immodesty? Any N1I guidance much appreciated!
Wassalam,
UmeAimon

Cosmetics use by women?

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam sister,

I can only talk about myself here and the way I see make up. Allah made this world beautiful and full of colors and never stopped us humans from trying to make things a little more colorful to satisfy their innate aesthetic sense as long as it is not harmful to the nature. To me make up is just adding colors to this life. But nevertheless the boundaries set by Allah SWT should not be crossed. So wearing makeup to make one look more presentable and even prettier as long as it is not intimidating/ provocative or harmful or wasting(in terms of cost and time), complemented with proper/modest dress, to me has no harm...Allah SWT’s another shinning rule of not going to extremes always helps.

Personally I am your kind. I do not wear make up most of the time and prefer not to even if I go out because of ease. My husband always encourages me to do so because it does give me a fresher look and in his words it doesn’t seem you are coming directly out of the bed and makes you look older and married :lol: You may find this interesting, the kind of culture I am coming from, married girls are supposed to wear makeup and dress up in a certain way and unmarried girls usually don’t. So I only started wearing makeup after my marriage. But it all depends on culture and family background you are coming from. Although things have changed somewhat ever since we were married but mostly it’s the same for most of the families. I have made a habit of wearing lipstick or soft liner or quick mascara every time I go out and that too in just about five minutes...frankly also try to do it when my husband is around or about to come home, just to look fresher and it is the same for all occasions ever since-no special party makeovers :) Most of my friends and family are like that i.e. all N1s and N2s.
Perhaps some brothers and sisters have different views if they are only kind enough to share...which reminds me where is eveyone??

Allah hafiz

UmeAimon
inspiron

Cosmetics use by women?

Post by inspiron »

Well sis salam

its intersting reading about make up than hijab. As many a so called islamic forums create such a fuss over a piece of cloth. l dont mean to side track but l feel way too much time is wasted on the way a muslim women should present herself, and most of the stuff comes from 'mullah' lead thinking. so long as we are decent in our dress code and i am sure people are able to judge what decents entails. For one how is it possible for a women who lives in the tropicals or hot countires to wrap her head when she is out, as the women suffers from the heat the men are free to feel the wind in their hair so to speak. if hijabi women are putting make up on then in a sense it really defeats the purpose of them placing a piece of cloth. And living in UK i have come across some werid dress on muslim women, epecially the profession types. Tight outfits with a beautiful hijab - oh please spare me the pain. its a never ending battle??????????
UmeAimon

Cosmetics use by women?

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam,

:lol: Well that is nothing I have seen women hear wearing hijabs that make you want to stop and look at them even though I am a female myself. One can't help thinking what was the purpose... have they forgotten or don't they know. I think they know but the thing is if people can make their own standards in religion then why not in something that is not even in the deen. I keep telling people what will those covered hair do you any good when the rest of you body contradicts the message you are trying to send through this little head scarf of yours.

Anyway there are extreems here... I used to go to this mosque for jumma prayer close to my house and there a lady came up to me and told me that you cannot pray with your bare feet even :roll: I asked who told you so n she told me the imam of this mosque and she was kind enough to tell me that there is other mosque where i can go where this is allowed!!!

Could I argue with with her? I preffered not to, just told her before leaving ...don't believe everything you hear from these so called men of religion.

thanks!
inspiron

Cosmetics use by women?

Post by inspiron »

Salam sis

well you said it. so true. you know i stopped wearing hijab just this year. and during the heat i know now its a relief. i mean women back home dont, especially those working in fields. anyway i dont care what people say, i actual question them rather them let them get the better of me. Frankly if they want to remain stupid then good luck to them. 'sheep following the blind'

salam

Salam,

:lol: Well that is nothing I have seen women hear wearing hijabs that make you want to stop and look at them even though I am a female myself. One can't help thinking what was the purpose... have they forgotten or don't they know. I think they know but the thing is if people can make their own standards in religion then why not in something that is not even in the deen. I keep telling people what will those covered hair do you any good when the rest of you body contradicts the message you are trying to send through this little head scarf of yours.

Anyway there are extreems here... I used to go to this mosque for jumma prayer close to my house and there a lady came up to me and told me that you cannot pray with your bare feet even :roll: I asked who told you so n she told me the imam of this mosque and she was kind enough to tell me that there is other mosque where i can go where this is allowed!!!

Could I argue with with her? I preffered not to, just told her before leaving ...don't believe everything you hear from these so called men of religion.

thanks!