Quran and History

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Annas

Quran and History

Post by Annas »

Salams to Dr. Shabbir and the other forum members.

This is my first post on this forum and I intend in my future posts to ask questions that prop up in my mind from time to time. Inshallah, I can find the answers Im looking for. I have spoken to Dr. Shabbir on the phone a couple of times and he is one of the nicest people I've ever met. May Allah reward him for his continued efforts. :)

My question is this: Does one need to know history (arab history for example) to understand the Quran? If one lives in a remote area with no access to outside information and that person is given the Quran to read, can he understand it and implement its principles in his life and among the people around him? Does one need to know about the Battle of Badr and Uhud to understand the verses that refer it? What about Abu Lahab? Does one need to know who he his to understand the surah that is written about him?

Also about verse 54:1

The Hour of Revolution is fast approaching. And the moon bearing banner is torn asunder.

The intro to this surah in QXP mentions that this surah talks about the Quraish having a moon on their flag and this verse signifies their coming defeat. Suppose the remote man Im talking about did not know this background information, would he mistakenly interpret his verse as meaning that the moon itself physically split? How would he know that this verse is talking about a flag? Please clarify.

Also the verses about Mary comes to mind. The background information regarding her reasons for being chaste and pious (living in the convent) are, I believe, not mentioned in the Quran. Correct me if Im wrong.

Does the absence of knowing history hinder someones efforts in understanding the Quran? I hope Im asking the right questions. Peace be with you all.

-Salam :)
Dr. Shabbir

Quran and History

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Annas,

Than you for your very kind words!

One of the countless remarkable things about the Qur'an is that it is a self-sufficient Book.

History might be of some interest, but, by no means is it necessary.

When you read the Qur'an completely with understanding, or listen to the English CDs you have, you can connect all necessary information.

For example, the Qur'an narrates the vow of Mary's mother about dedicating her to Allah in a monastery, her guardianship by Prophet Zakaria and her impeccable character at different places.
Wassalam,
SA
mubashir

Quran and History

Post by mubashir »

Salaam

The Qur'an refers to certain historical incidents for a reason: There are lessons to be learnt from them. Those lessons, in principle, are given in the Qur'an which make those incidents secondary and the lessons primary.

Problem with history is that while it has it's benefits, one has to keep an open mind because there can be many versions. If we don't take history outside the Qur'an as the Word of God, it may be of some help.

Regards,

Mubashir
Mubashir
Toronto, Canada
Dr. Shabbir

Quran and History

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear brother Mubashir,

I agree with you completely.

When it comes to DEEN, we would accept only that part of history of the blessed era which is in agreement with the Book.

Thanks for participating in your own forum! Your presence is a blessing to all.
Wassalam,
SA
Dr. Shabbir

Quran and History

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Annas,

See Surah 30 for Faras and Rome.

Read the whole Qur'an closely twice to connect dots instead of the easy way out if you truly wish to gain knowledge.
Wassalam,
SA