Purpose of Prayer?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
crschatz

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by crschatz »

Assalamu alaikum All:

I just read Arnold's exposition of Salat and I was wondering just what is the purpose of prayer (du'a or namaz)? If people are victims of a natural disaster, everybody knows about it and helps so then humans are acting to answer the prayers of the suffering people. But what about people who pray privately about personal matters? What about the wife who prays for her husband who has a serious disease? What about the parents who pray for the safety of their children? I guess I'm torn because while I don't believe that Allah violates His Laws through intervention, I don't want to feel that prayer is just some sort of psychological crutch that you can do if it makes you feel somehow better but really doesn't matter. I'm hoping the forum members will take up this question.

Wassalam,
Dr. Shabbir

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

DU’A, SUPPLICATION, PRAYER
February 9th, 2008 by Dr. Shabbir

A respected sister was not satisfied with the exposition of DU’A on our Forum by a bright mind.

Dear Sister, AA

After those few brilliant minds, it has become difficult to get good answers, and even to negate the wrongs propagated. Certainly, I cannot find or read everything. Time for me to hang up the gloves? May be, yes!

We cannot deny the blessed efficacy of du’a.

In the Light of the Quran, there are many TAQDEERS (due measures or laws) of Allah. When we earnestly pray to Him, He shows us the way to another befitting TAQDEER. [Many Muslims think of TAQDEER as the pre-destiny of humans. But nowhere in the Quran is mentioned the ‘Taqdeer of humans’.]

Here is a good example:
Hazrat Umar was traveling north of Madinah along with his noble companions. News came that a village with an outbreak of Plague was coming in the way. The Caliph ordered to change the direction of the caravan in order to bypass the village. A
companion objected, “O Caliph! Are you trying to evade the TAQDEER (law) of Allah?” He said, “No, I am taking you from one TAQDEER of Allah to another one.”

I know numerous people stating that no du’a rising from the hearts goes unanswered.

2:186 So, when My servants ask you about Me, surely, I am Near. I respond to the prayer of the suppliant when he calls unto Me. Let them also listen to My call, and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. [God’s response = A sincere caller will be shown the right direction = And Al-Quran has answers to all their questions. 3]
Wassalam,
SA
Arnold Yasin Mol

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum dear Courtney and Dr.

What I have tried to do in my exposition on Salat is to show there are no religious notions behind prayer, it is not meant for personal salvation.

When it comes to do dua's, I am still working out how they work in reality.

As I mentioned in my article, I can see that almost every dua a person can make concerning life situations is mentioned in the Quran:

-help me I am in distress
-I am hungery
-I am oppressed
-give me more knowledge
-liberate me

And so on. Many of these dua's are then answered by the Quran by giving us other humans the orders to solve these issues. So we are ordered to feed the poor, to fight oppressors, to educate people, to create a system wherein everybody has complete freedom in their beliefs and are provided with every need.

Humans in need-->make dua-->God hears-->gives orders in the Quran to solve these issues and how-->we humans follow these orders-->the dua's are answered by God but it is we humans, as we have freewill, who carry out these answers.

This is one side of dua's. Then there is another way dua's might work. I have written a lot on Quantum physics and the workings of the universe, and as told, we live in an unending energyfield that connects everything.

Many experiments have shown that intentions, wishes, prayers and thoughts can affect your surroundings. It seems the universe reacts on our minds and thus, also everything that is contained in that mind.

Lynn McTaggert writes about this in her books:

And:

Many experiments give many different results. When sick people in hospitals were prayed for their health, they got well sooner then the people who were not prayed for. The interesting factor was that it didn't matter if the people praying were Buddhist, Christians or Muslims. Their intentions were the same, and thus had the same effect on the sick person.

This is why I start to see 2 sorts of dua's in the Quran. One sort of dua can only be answered by humans, by creating the Deen, the Divine System. The other version has a more direct effect on the Universal Field.

I have experienced this myself, as I for example wanted more knowledge and I ended up in the lap of my dear uncle Shabbir. I wanted a good wife, and I have ended up with a Moroccon princess that is beyond my dreams.

Did God answer my wishes and prayers or did He create certain Laws that makes your wishes interact with the Universal information Field?

It is interesting that a prayer for health coming from a Buddhist, Christian or Muslim has the same effect on the sick persons. So your beliefs doesn't matter when it come sto intentions.

BUT! When a Buddhist prays for food and deliverance from oppression, ONLY a Muslim will answer this call. As only we Muslims have the Quran that explains us HOW to answer these problems.

So the power of a non-Muslim cannot go beyond intention, but when it comes to the things that really matter: freedom, sustance for everybody, human rights, fair governments. All of these prayers can only be really answered by God in the Quran.

Do you see the difference?

As Dr.Shabbir says, God has made Taqdeer, precise measurement of all Laws.

More about this in the future...
Dr. Shabbir

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

The great scholar, Allama Perwez was a vehement denier of du'a.

But we must look at the Quran.
Wassalam,
SA
UmeAimon

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam all,

A sincere dua does get answered by Allah SWT because He says in Quran Himself. I think it’s the way He answers is what we may not know all the time. Although we do understand when He either directly grants our wishes or just shows us the path to get what we want or make other ways yet many times we cannot know what’s best for us or how He has answered the dua. We as humans may not understand and cannot question what God does and why He does it. But we must realise that dua is not the only thing we are required or taught to do but also the potential to do things on our own, given by Almighty Himself, is for the purpose of taking action and eventually we should learn to be grateful to Him all the time. That is why even though Allah says he provides for all living beings, we see even the animals toil all day to find food... well I only know this much :)

jazakAllah

a sister
Dr. Shabbir

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Ma-Sha-Allah!

TANSURLLAHA WA YANSURUKUM (You help Allah and He will help you.)

"God helps those who help themselves." So, we must take the first step.

Surely, our effort must go along with our du'as.

The next step after effort and du'a comes TAWAKKAL (Trusting in Allah for the best results which may be unclear to us for a while).

About RIZQ or Provision: Allah has placed it in heavens and earth in abundance. Humans must toil to seek it and then distribute it through an equitable system. Allah is the Provider (RAAZIQ) and man is the QAASIM (Distributor). You are right, even wild animals and birds have to toil hard to obtain RIZQ.

Al-Hamdulillah, you know a lot, dear Sister!
Wassalam,
SA
Sidqi

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by Sidqi »

Sister Courtny,

Perhaps you missed Dr. SA lines in beginging of this thred.

>>>>>"God helps those who help themselves." So, we must take the first step.

Surely, our effort must go along with our du'as.

The next step after effort and du'a comes TAWAKKAL (Trusting in Allah for the best results which may be unclear to us for a while).

About RIZQ or Provision: Allah has placed it in heavens and earth in abundance. Humans must toil to seek it and then distribute it through an equitable system. Allah is the Provider (RAAZIQ) and man is the QAASIM (Distributor). You are right, even wild animals and birds have to toil hard to obtain RIZQ. <<<<<<

Sister,
In my opinion, there is no worldy purpose of Prayer. Its for thanking Allah, Obedience of his order and recognising that he is the Master of All.

For our worldly problems we have to use worldy means. And be content with result. But no work will result in no result or bad result. All creations work hard to live and fight problems from Ants to human.

To look towards sky for problems solution is for those, who are drugged with religous opium. God does.nt help those, who dont help themselves.
Other wise Prophet Mohammad(S) would.nt had to fight 9 wars in most unfavouable conditions. He established sunnah of working physically in utmost difficulties.
He never looked up, where as we do for even a small thorn.
Are we sunnah followers. Perhaps not.

Sidqi.
crschatz

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by crschatz »

Assalamu alaikum,

I'm a big believer in "God helps those who help themselves" as I was taught this early and often by my parents. If I want food, I have to work for it, I can't just pray to God and ask him to send me food if I don't do my part. But there are situations where people have either done all they can or events are out of their control; I guess those are the situations I was thinking about when I posted that question.
Many thanks to those who responded to my question.

Wassalam,
Sidqi

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by Sidqi »

I think in that situation, when one is realy done in every which way, then comes Patience "Sabr".
Quran has often mentioned Sabr in a very positive way. Sabr is not a weakness, its an an internal strength.

But i again say that no magic will happen with any amount of prayers, since Quran is itself against any magic or miracles.

But prayers does give internal strength leading to Sabr.
( Ila bizikr lahay tutmainul Quloob). Reciting ALLAH gives peace to hearts.

Sidqi. ca
abshoeb

Purpose of Prayer?

Post by abshoeb »

Salam

Allah gave already to humans what they would ask.
Importent thing is that we would have to achieve through Quran and Allah's given faculities. If you count the blessings of God’s provision never will you be able to number them. What more you need from Him.

14:34 And He gives you all that you would be asking Him for (55:29). If you count the blessings of God’s provision never will you be able to number them. Indeed, the human being is persistent in wrongdoing, stubbornly ingrate.

14:31 (O Prophet) "Tell My servants to establish and consolidate the Divine System and spend of the provision We have given them, on others, secretly and publicly, before a Day comes wherein there shall be no trading of deeds nor friendship be of avail.” [2]

14:32 (Think of the Source of your wealth and provision!) God it is Who has created the heavens and the earth, and sends down water from the sky, thereby producing fruit and vegetation as provision for you. And He makes ships and boats to be of service to you that they sail in the sea by His Command, and has made of service to you the rivers.

14:33 And made the sun and the moon, both of them constant on their courses - And committed the night and the day to serve you.

All Muslims are only praying for Palestine in Masjidul Haram since years, but results are obvious. Because of Why.

Since Allah Says.

8:60 Make ready for them all the power you can muster, and all the equipment you can mobilize so that you may deter the enemies of God, and your enemies. And others beside them whom you know not, God knows them. Whatever wealth and effort you spend on your defenses, will be your spending in the Cause of God, and it will be repaid to you generously. And you shall not be wronged.

Fee Amanillah
Ali Bin Ali Alharbi (Al Madina)