Paintings by Muslim Artists

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Asalam o Elikom all,

I want to know if someone knows/heard/seen any of muslim artist's painting/s or drawings from Khulfa e Rashedeens' time or even before.
After all painting was never haram as now a days most of molvis say. Or is it that history was destroyed to this extent! Anyone has any information on this?

thank you and
jazakAllah

UmeAimon
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Respected Sister,

To the best of my knowledge, like the rest of the literature and records belonging to the early era of Islam, no ancient paintings exist today.

Iran is probably the country with most old paintings surviving. But even those belong to only the last eight centuries.
Wassalam,
SA
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam all,

Thank you Dr. Shabbir for your kind reply. I was expecting this answer. Whoever I have asked has given me the same reply but most of the time they thought it was relating to the fact that making pictures was made haram in Islam. But I never thought it could be the case and very well understand why this "ban" was added in Islam... of course they wanted to destroy all records of the true history.
People who have reached to the point of understanding where they start to realise that painting/ music and other forms of arts were never haram but think our history was very well guarded by (only God knows) their pious ancestors, it makes a good point to start thinking again... that is if they want to!

jazakAllah

a sister
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Respected Sister,

You might have read it on the BLOG.

7:32 Say, "Who is there to forbid the beauty that God has brought forth for His servants, and the good things of sustenance?” Say, “On the Day of Resurrection, these things will be only for those who chose to believe during the life of this world.” Thus do We detail Our messages for people who make use of what they learn. [17]

34:12 And to Solomon, We committed the wind at his disposal. (He mastered the science of sailing and his ships sailed much faster than the others.) They sailed one month going and one month coming back. And We gave him abundance in mining of copper and minerals and subdued for him the Wild Tribes who worked for him by his Lord’s leave. (Solomon established the Divine System such that) whoever turned aside from Our command, We made him taste a severe punishment. [21]

34:13 They worked for him as he desired, making forts, statues, sculptures, paintings and images, pools, and boilers well-dug into the ground. We said, “Labor O Children of David, in gratitude for what you have been given. Few of My servants are truly grateful in practice.” [Please note a Prophet of God decorating his kingdom with statues, sculptures, paintings and images. Muslim orthodoxy, unfortunately, declares all this as Forbidden. 17]
Wassalam,
SA