Yahudi, Nasrani, Sabiin dan Majusi

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Deen Salleh

Post by Deen Salleh »

Salam,

I've been searching for the meaning of Yahudi, Nasrani, Majusi and Sabiin in the Quran dictionaries without being tied to historical context, but can't find one. Yahudi being translated as Jews, Majus as Magians and so on. If without the historical influence, what does this words means and from which arabic root?

Thank you in advance,

Deen
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Deen Salleh, WA

All these are proper names and, essentially, there have to be no root words for most proper names. Many proper names in almost all languages carry no meanings at all.

Read the Forum Policy in the Blog or the Forum and please write your recognized name in the future. Does Deen Salleh (the righteous religion) make any sense as a human name? In fact, 'Salleh' is no word. I gave you the advantage of reading it as 'Saaleh' = Righteous.

So, with a smile, ask yourself a question: "Did I have any right to ask the question I did?"

Thanks for making us smile!
:-)

Now, let us get serious.

YAHOOD = Those who claim that they are guided.
NASAARA = From Nazarenes, Jesus of Nazareth. Also, from NASR and ANSAAR = Helpers. According to the Quran, the disciples promised to Jesus (a.s.) that they would be the helpers of God and His messenger, Jesus.
MAJOOS = From Persian, JUS & AATISH = Fire = Those who are staunch believers in fate = Fatalistic people = Those who believe in fate as strongly as in the Fire with its obvious light and heat.
SAABIEEN = Those who say, "We don't know." = Agnostics.
Wassalam,
SA
Deen Salleh

Post by Deen Salleh »

Salam Dr Shabbir,

Thank you for your serious answer Dr.

And for your question

So, with a smile, ask yourself a question: "Did I have any right to ask the question I did?"

With a smile my answer will be; Yes I do, I think I have the right to ask any questions in my quest to really study the Quran and understanding Islam even though sometime it may sound stupid to others.. And I choose you Dr because I consider you one of my respectable and trusted scholar for me to turn to if I have any difficulties.

Read the Forum Policy in the Blog or the Forum and please write your recognized name in the future.

It is part of my father and my name as well and nothing I can do to change that. And the spelling is according to my country norm. Well, if it doesn’t comply with the forum policy than I’m sorry to hear that, perhaps in future I will just read the contents in this blog without logging in..

Thank you for your time Dr.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Oh, you are such a kind person!

May Allah bless you, we will accept your name with a smile.

May I ask which country you are from?

Please remember that I am no more than a student.
Wassalam,
SA