Status Women's Children's report 2007 Quran

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Arnold Yasin Mol

Status Women's Children's report 2007 Quran

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Gender Discrimination Across the Life Cycle
Unicef report 2007 on Women's and Children's Status and Allah's commentary in the Quran on the findings of Unicef.

Birth histories and census date reveal an unusually high proportion of male births and male children under five in Asia, most notably in India and China, suggesting sex-selecting foeticide and infanticide in the world’s two most populous countries, despite initiatives to eradicate these practices in both countries.

43:16 What! Has He taken daughters out of what He Himself created and grants you sons of your choice?
43:17 Yet if any of them is given the glad tiding of what he likens to the Beneficent, his face saddens and he is filled with hidden anger.
43:18 (He says), “What! That which has to be raised in ornaments?” And then he finds himself in an inner conflict (whether to let the daughter live or bury her in the dust! 16:58-59.)

81:8 And when the little girl that was buried alive is made to ask -
81:9 For what crime she was slain. (Women’s rights will be restored).

More than 115 million children of primary school age do not attend school. For every 100 boys not attending primary school, there are 115 girls in the same situation.

Missing out on primary school deprives a girl the opportunity to develop to her full potential. Nearly one out of every five girls in primary schools in the developing world does not complete a primary education.

In the developing world an average of 43 per cent of girls of appropriate age attend secondary school. Research shows that educated women are less likely to die in childbirth and more likely to send their children to school.
A UNICEF survey of selected countries in Latin America, the Caribbean, South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa finds that on average, children with uneducated mothers are at least twice as likely to be out of primary school than children whose mothers attended primary school.

6:151 Say, "Come, let me convey to you what your Sustainer has enjoined upon you as a sacred duty:
Associate no one with Him. -Honor your parents, do good to them, fulfill their needs.
-Neither kill your children for fear of poverty nor deprive them of proper training and education. We provide for you and for them. (The Divine System will take care of your needs and their needs). -Do not go near immodesty or lewdness whether openly or in secret. -Do not slay a life, life that Allah has made sacred except in the course of justice. This He has commanded you so that you use reason and obey these Commands.”

56:75 Nay, I present the stellar orbits as witness. (‘Mawaqi’ = Different
locations in the orbits).
56:76 And behold! This, indeed, is a great witness if your knowledge can
encompass it. = Knowledge is needed to understand life.

51:28 Then he felt apprehensive of them. They said, “Fear not!” And gave him the glad news of a son who would be endowed with knowledge.

35:28 And of human beings, and other creatures, and the cattle have diverse colors. This is how it is: of all His servants only the ULAMA get some idea of the Glory of Allah (by examining the wonders in Nature. ULAMA = men and women of scientific knowledge. They understand that) Allah is Almighty, the Absolver of imperfections.

34:6 Those who make use of the perceptual and conceptual knowledge that they have been given, see that the Revelation to you (O Prophet) from your Lord, is the Truth. And that it leads to the Path of the Almighty, the Owner of Praise.

31:20 (This was some of the wisdom Luqman was endowed with.) Do you not realize that Allah has made of service to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth? And He has lavished upon you His Blessings, tangible and intangible. And yet, among people are those who argue about Allah without exploring the realm of knowledge, without taking the right approach or a Book giving Light.

Those without knowledge and education can drift away and be fooled by others easily. In this the Quran already makes it a rule that everyone should be educated.

31:6 But among people, there are those who invest their time in HADITH which is unfounded, so as to lead those without knowledge away from the Path of Allah, making mockery of it (the Qur'an). For such there is shameful punishment in store.

30:29 But nay, the transgressors follow their own opinions without knowledge. But who can guide him whom Allah has let go astray for violating His Laws of Guidance (4:88)? For such there are no helpers.

Knowledge is a blessing from Allah, as the Prophet's were the best examples, it shows that to attain faith, one most attain knowledge:

28:14 Now when Moses reached full strength and maturity, We blessed him with wisdom and knowledge. This is how We reward those who live a balanced, virtuous life.

As Allah orders ALL of mankind not to have blind faith in knowledge:

17:36 And you shall not follow blindly any information of which you have no direct knowledge. (Using your faculties of perception and conception) you must verify it for yourself. In the Court of your Lord, you will be held accountable for your hearing, sight, and the faculty of reasoning. (And so, the insane and the disabled will have their incapacities taken into account in a court of law.)

And eventually people will say:

3:191 (Such men and women of understanding keep reflecting upon how Allah’s Laws operate in the Universe.) Standing, sitting, and reclining, they observe, and reflect upon Allah's creation of the Heavens and the Earth and wonder, "Our Lord! You have not created all this without Purpose. High Above You are from creating anything in vain! Save us, then, from being negligent in attaining knowledge and thus, getting condemned to Fire.” (When humans harness the forces of Nature and use them for the common good of all, they move away from Hell and close to Paradise in both lives 45:13-14).

Thus every child must be educated.

More than 130 million women and girls alive today have been subjected to female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C), which can have grave health consequences, including the failure to heal, increased susceptibility to HIV infection, childbirth complications, inflammatory diseases and urinary incontinence.

15:29 And when I have perfected him in due proportion and breathed into him something of My Energy, bow before him.”

There is no need to change anything to our bodies except when our health is in danger. FGM has proven only to cause diseases and distress and doesn't add anything to the perfection of Mankind. This is thus not allowed to be performed. Only when our health is in danger:

26:80 And when I get sick, then He is the One who restores me to health.

Health is a right for every human:

16:69 “And then eat of all kind of fruit, and follow the ways that your Sustainer has made easy for you.” (We endowed the bee with navigational skills). And then comes forth from their bellies a delicious drink of many hues, in which there is health for people. In all this, behold, there is a message for people who are willing to listen.

As Mankind must create a society that will have no hardship on its people:

15:48 No weariness shall ever touch them, and never shall they lose this abode of Bliss.

The younger girls are when they first have sex, the more likely it is that intercourse has been imposed on them. According to a World Health Organization study, 150 million girls and 73 million boys under the age of 18 experienced forced sexual intercourse or other forms of physical and sexual violence in 2002.
Globally 36 per cent of woman between the ages of 20-24 were married or in union before they reached 18, most commonly in sub-Sahara Africa and South Asia, where it is often a long standing tradition and difficult to protest. Premature pregnancy and childbirth is often a dangerous consequence of child marriage.

An estimated 14 million girls between 15-19 years old give birth every year. If a mother is under 18 her baby’s chances of dying in the first year of life is 60 percent greater than that of a baby born to a mother over 19. Babies born to mothers under 18 are more likely to suffer from low birth weight, under nutrition and delayed physical and cognitive development.
Every minute, a woman dies as a result of pregnancy complications, adding up to more than half-a-million women per year. Some 99 per cent of all maternal deaths occur in developing countries, with over 90 per cent of those in Africa and Asia.
In 2000, two-thirds of maternal deaths occurred in 13 of the world’s poorest countries. The same year, India alone accounted for one-quarter of all maternal deaths.

One out of every 16 sub-Saharan Africa women will die as a result of pregnancy or childbirth, compared to just one out of every 4,000 in industrialized countries. Motherless newborns are between three and 10 times more likely to die than newborns whose mothers survive.
In parts of Africa and the Caribbean, young women aged 15 to 24 are up to six times more likely to be infected with HIV than young men their age. Women are at greater risk of contracting HIV of men, partly because of physiological reasons. But gender discrimination also plays a role, denying women the negotiating power they need to reduce their risk of infection.

4:6 Train and educate the orphans well. When they reach the age of marriage, and attain sound judgment, release their property to them. The marriageable age shall mean attainment of physical and mental maturity when one can legally make a solemn contract...

4:21 And how could you take the marital gift back from her after you have lived intimately with each other and after she has taken from you a very Solemn Pledge of the marital contract?

Marriage can only be obtained at the age of maturity, as only from individual adults a solemn pledge can be made. Nowhere in the Quran can a child take a solemn pledge or testimony. In 4:6 we can only give the orphans their property when they have reached the age of maturity, which is the age of marriage. This is stated when they have reached the age where their body is full grown, and is thus above the age of 18-21:

6:152. Allah Commands you further: -Approach not the wealth of the orphan except for their own benefit until they come of age with full maturity of body and mind.

17:34 Go not near the wealth of the orphan, except for his or her own good, until they come of age. (Then let them make their own decisions). This is a covenant that you must fulfill. Surely, you will be questioned about all your covenants.

Maturity is even seen as the age between above 20 and 40:

46:15 .... And so, when he attains maturity and reaches forty years,

Also marriage can not be forced on women, they have the same right to choose a partner or deny him.

4:19 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! It is not lawful for you to force women into marrying or holding on to them in marriage against their will. Pressuring women to remain in wedlock by threatening to take away the marital gift is forbidden. A wife could forfeit the right to the marital gift only if she has indulged in clear lewdness. You shall treat your wives nicely. Even if you dislike them, it may happen that Allah has placed much good in what you have failed to realize.

Male and female have the right to choose their own partner:
24:32 And marry the single among you, (whether they are widowed, divorced or bachelors). And those who are still being kept as slaves, male or female, such of them as are fit to marry. If they are poor, Allah will enrich them with His Bounty, for, Allah is of Infinite means, All-Knowing.

High rates of illiteracy among women prevent them from knowing about the risks of HIV infection and ways to protect themselves. A survey of 24 sub-Saharan African countries reveals that two thirds or more of young women lack comprehensive knowledge of HIV transmission.

31:6 But among people, there are those who invest their time in HADITH which is unfounded, so as to lead those without knowledge away from the Path of Allah, making mockery of it (the Qur'an). For such there is shameful punishment in store.

Education means that people can protect themselves against mental and physical harm.

Elderly women may face double discrimination on the basis of both gender and age. Women tend to live longer than men, may lack control of family resources and can face discrimination from inheritance and property laws. Very few developing countries have safety nets for older people.

Throughout the Quran, both parents have the right on inheritance and property. No agelimit is given when it comes to keep property or business.

2:180 Regarding proper dispensation of property, it is prescribed for you, when death approaches any of you, and he is leaving behind much wealth – that he set up a will for parents and family in a decent, equitable manner. This is a binding duty on the upright. (Any oversight or leftover from the will shall be distributed according to portions described in 4:111)

So the first persons on your inheritence list must be your parents and the closest relatives. For the widow it is:

2:240 Men must testify in a written, legal will that, after their death, their widows will receive one year’s maintenance without their being obliged to leave the house. But, if they leave on their own accord, there is nothing wrong in letting them do whatever they wish to do with their own lives in a lawful manner. Allah, the Almighty, the Wise grants this permission.

And we must remind ourselves of the pain in which our mother bore us:

31:14 “(And O My dear son! Allah says) - We have ordained upon man goodness to his parents. His mother bore him by bearing strain upon strain, and his utter dependence on her lasted no less than two years. (2:233, 46:15). Hence, be grateful to Me and to your parents, and remember that your ultimate destination is with Me.”

46:15 Now, We have enjoined upon man goodness toward his parents. In
pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth. The carrying of the child and his total dependence on her took thirty months.

Jesus's words:

19:30 But he spoke up, "Behold, I am a servant of God. He has given me Revelation and appointed me a Prophet.”
19:31 “He has made me blessed wherever I may be. He has enjoined upon me to establish the Divine System and help set up the Just Economic Order as long as I live.”
19:32 “And He has made me kind to my mother, and has not made me haughty, unblessed.”

We must follow Joseph in the way he has honoured His parents:

12:99 And when they came in before Joseph, he respectfully greeted his parents, “Welcome to Egypt! God willing you will be in safety and peace here.”
12:100 He raised his parents upon the throne of honor. All those present bowed to him in respect...

17:23 (A benevolent society begins at home.) Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him, and always be kind to your parents. If one of them or both attain old age, do not utter the slightest harsh word to them. Never repel them and always address them respectfully. (36:68).

We have a duty towards our parents:

19:14 He was dutiful toward his parents, and was polite, not rebellious or arrogant.

Ask Blessings for them:

27:19 Solomon smiled joyously at her words and said, "My Lord! Enable me to be grateful for your blessings upon me and my parents. Enable me to work for the betterment of humanity and thus please You. Include me, by Your Grace, among your righteous servants."

"My Lord! Enable me to be grateful for the blessings You have given me and to my parents, and that I may do works that meet Your Approval.

71:28 My Lord! Grant unto me the protection of forgiveness and unto my parents and whoever enters my house in Faith, and unto all the believing men and the believing women (of all times). And increase the oppressors in
nothing but ruin of their evil schemes."

We must take of our elderly, be it your parents or not:

29:8 (As among the best deeds) We have enjoined upon the human being kindness to parents. But, if they strive to make you ascribe divinity side by side with Me, this will conflict with your knowledge. Then, obey them not, for it is unto Me that all of you must return, whereupon I shall truly make you understand what you used to do. (31:14-15).

2:83....We said,“Serve none but Allah"
- And be generous to your parents
- And to family and relatives
- And to orphans, widows, and those left without any means of support to make progress in the society
- And to those who have suffered loss of income, the disabled, the needy, the poor
- And speak to people kindly
- And treat them nicely
- And follow the Prescribed Way of Life
- And set up the Zakat Cooperative System.”

2:180 Regarding proper dispensation of property, it is prescribed for you, when death approaches any of you, and he is leaving behind much wealth – that he set up a will for parents and family in a decent, equitable manner. This is a binding duty on the upright. (Any oversight or leftover from the will shall be distributed according to portions described in 4:11.)

4:36 Obey Allah and associate no partner with Him.
- Treat kindly your parents, relatives,

6:151 Say, "Come, let me convey to you what your Sustainer has enjoined upon you as a sacred duty:
Associate no one with Him. -Honor your parents, do good to them, fulfill their needs. -Neither kill your children for fear of poverty nor deprive them of proper training and education. We provide for you and for them. (The Divine System will take care of your needs and their needs). -Do not go near immodesty or lewdness whether openly or in secret. -Do not slay a life, life that Allah has made sacred except in the course of justice. This He has commanded you so that you use reason and obey these Commands.”

Men and Women are created equally, and thus the status in society must be the same:

4:25. A man among you who cannot find a free believing woman willing to marry him, should have no hesitation in asking the hand of a believing maiden from her guardian. Allah knows your beliefs and reiterates that all human beings are equal in the Sight of Allah...

17:70 Now indeed, We have conferred dignity on the children of Adam (as a birth right, regardless of where the child is born). And provided them with transport on land and sea and given them decent things of life. And We have favored the humans far above a great many of Our creation.

49:13 O Mankind! Behold, We have created you male and female, and have made you nations and tribes so that you might (affectionately) come to know one another. Verily, the most honored among you, in the Sight of Allah, is the one who lives most upright. Behold, Allah is Knower, Aware. (‘Min zakarinwwa untha’ = Of a kind that is male, and of a kind that is female = Male and female = Some of you are men and some of you are women. On this note I find myself in agreement with M. Pickthall).

33:35 Verily, for:
2 Muslim men and Muslim women.
- Believing men and believing women. - Committed men and committed women (committed to Allah’s Cause). - Truthful men and truthful women. - Steadfast men and steadfast women. - Humble men and humble women. - Charitable men and charitable women. - Abstaining men and abstaining women (abstaining from all vices). - Chaste men and chaste women. - Men who remember Allah much and women who remember (Him much).
(For them) Allah has readied the protection of forgiveness and an Immense Reward. (3:194, 4:124).

16:97 Whoever, whether male or female, does works that help others and is a believer, We shall certainly cause them to live a good life, and We shall grant them the rewards considering the best of their actions.

I believe it was Sir Allama Iqbal who said:
"If I didn't believe the Quran was from God, I would have believed it was written by women"

Read the report here:

http://www.unicef.org/sowc07/docs/sowc07.pdf