What are the causes of Division in the Ummah?

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

What are the causes of division in the Ummah?

-Because of their approach to Islam?
-Hadith?
-Their cultural differences between the people?
-What does the Quran say about division?
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaam Arnold,

Did you forget to include the link (to an actual article) in this post or is this for a group discussion?

Thank you,
Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Naushad,

This is a group discussion topic.
Damon

Post by Damon »

Salaam Dear Brothers,

-Because of their approach to Islam?

Approach to Islam, yes. They approach Islam as a Madhhab (religion) instead of approaching it as it should be approached which is Deen (System/Order/Code of Life)

-Hadith?

Yes, this too has so much to do with it. The hadith literature contributes so much to even more division in an already divided Ummah not to mention that it has served to Replace The Holy Quran even though the hadith literature comes from men. This is a definate mistake.

-Their cultural differences between the people?

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is yes as well. You will see alot of people (for example, those who uphold N2I) who very rarely refer to themselves as simply Muslims. I have come across too many of them who say that they are Egyptian Muslim, Pakistani Muslim, Saudi Muslim, etc. as if to say that their respective ethnicities suggest a superiority or higher rank in Allah's eyes.

-What does the Quran say about division?

I do know that The Holy Quran says that those who choose to divide this Deen and Ummah are Mushrikeen!! (30:31-32)

I know that Allah tells the Prophet that he has nothing to do with those who divide themselves. (6:159)

3:103 You must hold fast, all of you together, to the Bond of God and be
not divided into sects. (The Bond or Rope of God is the Qur’an which is
an Unbreakable Support 2:256.) Remember God’s favor upon you when
you were enemies and, almost overnight, He brought mutual affection in
your hearts. Thus, you became brothers and sisters by His grace. And
recall that you were on the brink of the pit of fire, and He saved you from
it.
(3:103)

Salaam,
Damon.
Usman

Post by Usman »

My dear Arnold,

You wrote (Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:34 pm) :

My view is:

The root cause of division is the ‘sub-contracting’ of the individual responsibility of knowing, understanding and application of the Scripture to priests and various other professionals of the same ilk. In other words the individuals in the Ummah have willingly forfeited the development of their conscience to the priests. Now the problem has been and still is that priests have not been faithfull to the Scripture. As a result the faith structure the Ummah has built is very unstable and shaky because of impurities these men have introduced and have been accepted by the Ummah at the expense of Quranic Truth.
Thus Laws operating in Creation are seemingly showing their wrath on the Ummah but really its the Ummah's own making by abandoning the GUIDEBOOK it has exposed itself to the negative here and in hereafter.

The following Ayaa of Quran comes to mind, 9:31:

Free-Minds Translation:
They took their Priests and Monks to be patrons besides God, and the Messiah son of Mary, while they were only commanded to serve One god, there is no god but He, be He glorified for what they set up.

Its truly a sorry state of affairs, what should be a powerful bright shining light emanating from the Ummah instead is a flickering light buried beneath the Ummah under man made pollution. Thus it is extremely hard for individuals of the Ummah to abandon all that ‘faith in forefathers of priesthood’ and revert back to the pristine Quran.

Despite all the above and behaviour of mankind in general, I am confident with Allah’s statement given in Ayaah 2:30 which is:

Free-Minds Translation:

And your Lord said to the Angels: "I am placing a successor on Earth." They said: "Would You place in it he who would corrupt in it, and spill blood, while we sing Your glory, and praise You?" He said: "I know what you do not know."

SO NO FEAR! Continue to proclaim the TRUTH OF QURAN.

Thank you for your attention.
Anya

Post by Anya »

There are two overriding factors that are sure to be present when any organisation, country, faction, or gathering is fragmented - POWER and IGNORANCE. Either one in isolation may lead to fragmentation, but the two together are an explosive combination.

Those who seek power exploit the ignorant. It is only by being ignorant that we allow others (who we perceive to be more knowledgeable then us) to mislead us. The previous commentator (Investigator) makes a valid point when he states that we abdicate our responsibility. It is often much easier to just assume that what is being fed to you is correct, without taking the time to examine, analyse and determine what is correct for oneself.

The other side of the coin is the one seeking power - often the one seeking power knows what is true, but will distort this truth to ensure that he is the king of his own hill (even if that hill is an ant-hill!). At the end of this exercise, we end up with many kings.

It is perhaps also pertinent to mention that those who know the truth, but seek power must ensure that those over which they wield this power remain ignorant. The moment those who are ignorant gain knowlege, the quest for power cannot materialize.

The most alarming combination of course is the ignorant person who seeks power - he is the one that has the ability to do most damage: in his quest for power, he does not even acknowledge that he may be wrong, thereby not having the potential to self-correct.

The nett effect is that we end up with may sects - fragmentation and conflict is bound to continue with each person in power pushing his own agenda.
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - Carl Sagan