When to stop eating in the morning when fasting

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaam alay kum,

Every year during the month of Ramadan here in United States, the prayer calendars published by local mosques have different columns for the Fajr time and when to stop suhoor (stop eating). Both of these times are at least 10-15 apart where the suhoor time ends 10-15 minutes earlier before the Fajar time. And yet the actual official sunrise time (according to weather channels etc) is almost 30-40 minutes after the published suhoor end time.

Allah says in Quran (2:187) that we are allowed to eat until the light starts to appear:
[2]

In the light of the above verse, can someone please tell me the correct guidelines as to what is the correct time before one should stop eating; Fajr time, Suhoor end time or actual sunrise time?

Thanks,
Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum Naushad,

The Quran always refers to clear descriptions of natural phenomena.

Through false traditions and opinions, and more especially, the religious ritual approach to ramadhan, it has become custom now to start the fast way to early just "to be safe". The clergy have created their own timings to which start and stop fasting and completely ignore the Quranic guideline.

The Quran is very clear:

2:187 You may eat and drink until you can discern the white streak of light against the black streak of night at daybreak. Then complete the Abstinence until sunset.

Thus the fasting begins at Daybreak, the appearing of the light, till sunset.

So we must understand the Classic Arabic understanding of Day and Night.

Dr.Ayman, professor in Arabic says:

It is very simple. In English, we have sun set (sun setting through the horizon), twilight (period between sunset and night where there is some light) and then night (the sky is completely dark).

In the Quran, we hear:

22:61 Thus it is, because God (is Omnipotent, the One who) merges the night into the day and merges the day into the night. And God is Hearer, Seeing.

The only way that "night" can be merged into daylight and daylight can be merged into "night" is if "night" starts at sunset and ends after daybreak. So what we call in Arabic "layl" is actually equivalent to what is in English "twilight-night-twilight".

This is why when Allah wants to point out the dark part of the "layl", He uses the term "ghasak al-layl" (the dark part of the "twilight-night-twilight", i.e. the middle part that we call in English "night"):

17:78 You shall commit yourself to reflect on the Divine commands before sunrise and then carry on with your program until the darkness of night/ghasak al-layl prevails. The Qur’an springs forth the light for you to brighten your way. The dawn ushered in by the Qur’an will be self-evident to all. Its likeness is the dawn that brings light after a dark night. [42]
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaam alaykum Arnold,

I am still un-clear about your answer. Can you please tell me what this translates to on our daily clocks? Should we go by the official sunrise time (or few minutes before) as published by local weather/news channels? Even you agree that the prayer calendars printed by N2I clergy asks people to stop eating way too early.

Thank you,
Naushad.
Our Beacon Group

Post by Our Beacon Group »

Salaam Naushad,

The day begins when the first light appears at the horizon, so when you SEE this light, you must stop eating and drinking. It is when you SEE the first light, not 3 minutes before or after.

And you can start eating when the sun is setting. That is mostly around the traditional Magreb prayertime.
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam all,

Thank you for the enlightening! Now that it is confirmed I just figured out why they say it's almost hour or so before the real time... probably because they have to fit in fajar salat ! Isn't it???

Anyway thank you agian and a very happy ramadan to all :)

a sister