Fast for a month or just a number of days?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Ridwaan

Post by Ridwaan »

Assalamu Alaykum

From QXP, I read about Saum:

2:183 (Creating an ideal society requires self-discipline among the individuals.) O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Abstinence is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you so that you get empowered to walk aright.

2:184 Just a specific period of numbered days. But if any of you is sick or he is on a journey, he may make up the same number of days later. For those who can go through Abstinence only with hardship, there is compensation - the feeding of an indigent. Any additional charity will mean additional reward. However, if you knew better, going through the training course of Abstinence is good for you.

2:185 The month of Ramadhan has been chosen for this collective training since this is the month in which the Qur’an was revealed - a Guidance for mankind, clearly explaining the ‘why’ of every Rule. And it is the Criterion of right and wrong. Hence, whoever witnesses this month should participate in the program of Abstinence. But if any of you is sick or on a journey, let him practice Abstinence for the same number of days later. Allah desires for you ease, and He desires for you no hardship. The postponement is for enabling you to complete the period. The objective of this training is to establish the Supremacy of Allah (on earth) for He has shown you a well-lighted road, and for you to express gratitude in practice.

Does this in essence mean that Saum can be observed as "a number of days" during Ramadan, or as we have been brought up as the full month, viz 29 or 30 days?

Some enlightenment on the topic will be appreciated.

Thank you

Ridwaan
Cape Town ( South Africa)
Mahmood Qasmi

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

The terms used for the period of abstenance is indeed ma'doodaat... if you view Lane's lexicon under the root Ayn-Daal-Daal, the meaning of ma'doodaat has been used for "few days" or "handful of days" ... quite literally, ma'doodaat can be used to denote a number that can be counted using your fingers.

ma'dood means Numbered, Reckoned, Determined or Computed, however, ma'doodaat is used specifically for a very low count, and though it is linguistically correct to denote "muchness" by addition of the alif and taa in front of ma'dood.

I hope this helps.
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam dear brother Rizwan,

Verse 183 and 184 say fasting for number of days only fixed or specified! and then can even leave if have some in convenience! This verse is for convenience basically thats how I understand it that Allah SWT is only trying to ease the anxiety that there are just few days NOT the whole YEAR and that too if we can't out of some hardship, we can avoid!
The verse 185 is then explaining further those numbered days and again some of the inconvenieces and to make up for those left. Allah chose Ramadan as a "MONTH" for abstinence! The days "left" are to be compensated later ie. left of in convenience like sickness and travel...thats all!
Allah prepares us first for the orders and then gives final comands. That's Allah's kindness and form of Quran's way that you will find consistently throughout the Holly Book inshahAllah :) Understanding this way has helped me a lot hope it'll help you too.

Allah knows the best
jazakAllah
latif

Post by latif »

Gentlemen !

Our ancestor " Adam" was asked to eat and drink but go not near a tree. Likewise we are told to abstain from eating, drinking and sex from dawn to dusk for one month. Our ancestor failed to obey and lost his domicile. Let us hope we pass this test.
Muhammad Latif Chaudhery
sovereignity rests with Allah alone
shez

Post by shez »

What I still dont understand about fasting is the out come at the end of it and how would it work these days when there is NOT a single Islamic state. I really dont see any point of being hungry all day and at the end eat like anything. I think we are missing something big here or not being able to understand the message of Quran correctly!
Thanks & Regards

- Shez
[Dust is my bed...]
shahalam66

Post by shahalam66 »

Reading the last two posts we may conclude:

It seems Mr. Latif expressed his understanding from his faith. That means his faith first and understanding later. Believe that you may understand.

Mr. Shez is questioning his understanding so he may conclude his faith.

Yet most common approach among (N2I) muslims is that it is not necessary to understand things to speak confidently about them. Seek not to understand that you may believe. Understanding is the reward of faith, not the other way.
shahalam
latif

Post by latif »

Dear Sir

The purpose of fasting is defined in verse 2:183

(Creating an ideal society requires discipline and selfrestraint among the individuals.) O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Abstinence (from food, drink and sex during the daytime) is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you so that you get empowered against evil.

Follow this exercise honestly and diligently. The results are sure. mocking ensues nothing.

Muhammad Latif Chauchery
sovereignity rests with Allah alone
Mahmood Qasmi

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

I would advise people to consult the QXP for this. Ayyamim Ma'doodaat has been rendered as "Just a specific period of numbered days" ... the context is to have a collective training during Shahr-i Ramadhaan towards collective betterment. I hope this clears things up.
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada