Lunar Calendar??

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Razwan Iqbal

Lunar Calendar??

Post by Razwan Iqbal »

Silly Q :?

why do we "follow" the lunar calendar for the Islamic holy days and not the solar Calendar

I couldn't find anywhere to state that we should. all I could find was that the year should be split into 12

9:36 Allah has ordained twelve months in one year....

thanks for your input on this topic

kind regards

Razwan
Mahmood Qasmi

Lunar Calendar??

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

This is not a silly question brother. Using tasreef, the QXP rendition outlines the calendar system as lunar, as in the following verses:

10:5 He it is, Who appointed the sun as a splendid glow, and the moon as a cool light. He appointed stages for the moon, in due measure. You make your calculations and calendars accordingly (6:97, 17:12). Allah has created the Universe as the Absolute Reality and for a Purpose. (It is neither a dream, nor a reflection of the world of ideas). Allah details His Verses for those who wish to learn.

17:12 (Right and Wrong have been made distinct as day and night.) We have appointed the Night and the Day as two of Our Signs. The Sign of the Night We have made darkness (of ignorance) while the Sign of the Day we have made brightness (of Guidance). You shall seek the Bounty from your Lord, and be aware of the passing years and make your calendars. (6:97, 10:5). (Reckon every day, month and year to see what you have gained and what you have lost in your self-development). We have given you much detail in this brief statement.

2:189 (Self-control is a life-long challenge extending beyond the month of Ramadhan.) They ask you (O Messenger) about the phases of the Moon. Say, “They are calendars to help mankind determine certain seasons such as Hajj.” But know that righteousness can never be achieved by entering the System through the back door of ritualism. Only he who lives an upright life attains it. Enter the Divinely Ordained Way of Life straightforward as you must enter houses through their gates. Be mindful of Allah all year round in order to reap a rich harvest. (2:138, 2:177, 2:208. There is no such thing as a part-time Muslim.)

2:190 [All mankind should agree upon and mark their calendars for four months of peacetime. However, true following of the Divine System of Life will meet with harsh opposition.] So, fight in the Cause of Allah those who wage war against you, but do not commit aggression. Behold, Allah loves not aggressors. (2:194, 2:217, 4:91, 9:5, 9:36, 22:39, 60:8.)

Your argument however certainly carries weight. The main requirement seems to be the determination of "certain seasons such as Hajj" based on the phases of the moon, and that the calendar be based on 12 months. If you notice the names of the months in the muslim calendar, you will notice that the names have certain meanings. Rabi' months (awwal and thaani) seem to denote grazing periods, while shawwaal seems to denote the period for mating of the domestic animals, such as camels. So at one point in time, these months may have been aligned with seasons.

Regards,
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
Razwan Iqbal

Lunar Calendar??

Post by Razwan Iqbal »

thank you brother Mahmood

doing a bit of research I know that the "pre Islamic" Arabian calendar also followed the lunar cycles but they added an other month if needed so the months could sync with the seasons, which makes sense so a certain month would "qualify" as a winter or a summer month..

9:36 Allah has ordained twelve months in one year....

gets rid of the "extra month" but it doesn't say that you should now stick with the lunar calendar... and not use the solar calendar.

various verses are saying that you can use the stages of the moon for your calculations but are not forbidding you to use the sun as well..

6:96 He is the Cleaver of the daybreak. He has appointed the night for stillness, (rest and tranquility) and the sun and the moon to run their well-calculated courses. They become means of calculating time for you (10:5). Such is the Design of the All-Powerful, the All-Knowing.

use both the sun and the moon..

it would make life a bit easier and the Muslims could unite at least for a day across the globe to celebrate

I might be wrong in my observation, just my 2P

regards

Razwan
Mahmood Qasmi

Lunar Calendar??

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

I would like to state the rendition of the complete verse for 9:36

Allah has ordained twelve months in one year. This has been Allah’s Ordinance since the day He created the heavens and the earth. Four of these Months are Sacred, forbidden for all warfare. (Mankind, through international treaties, must agree to shun all kind of warfare during these four months. This will give them a cooling off period that sense may prevail over emotions). This is the Firm Religion, the right way. So, do not wrong yourselves by fighting during the Sacred Months. However, you may fight the idolaters in any or all these months if they fight against you in any or all of them (2:194). And know that Allah is with those who restrain themselves. (Four Sacred Months: 2:194, 9:1-5).
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
UmeAimon

Lunar Calendar??

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam Bro Razwan,

In verse 2:185 Allah swt chooses the month of Ramadan for fasting. Wouldn't it be easier if we keep track of lunar calender atleast. Ramadan I think is one of the lunar months not solar.
I understand folowing the lunar calender is not convenient, because of the variations in days of the months but thats because of our incompetence thats all. Allah SWT told us that He appointed fixed periods for BOTH the sun and the moon. We (the muslims) never bothered to find a way to calculate it ie, a regular lunar calender!
Some muslim scientist(sorry I forgot his name) did find a way to calculate moon cycles but no one bothered to even verify it. He did it more than twenty years ago and to this date his calculation have not been proven wrong. I think now some countries like Malaysia, have adopted that way to make lunar calenders.

Shouldn't the rest follow too. Why not!! But for that they have to unite...something they rarely do :)

jazakAllah

a sister
Razwan Iqbal

Lunar Calendar??

Post by Razwan Iqbal »

AA sister

thanks for your reply

is there any chance you could find me the name of person who came up with the calculation, not that it will change anything in this world, we muslims can't unite just yet :D

take care

AH

Razwan