Meaning of the word ShAHR

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Mahmood Qasmi

Meaning of the word ShAHR

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

as-salamu-alaikum,
I was wondering if I could get some feedback from the respected forum members. I have been doing some research on the word ShAHR as used in the Quran, and it seems there are places when it is used with the definite artical "al" and and other places it is not. I have come to an understanding (which could be wrong), that like the word Djinn, ShAHR could also denote different things depending on the context.

The word 'shahr' is used in quraan 12 times in various verses. On all the places it is used in the meaning of month. Please refer to Sura Al-baqara verses 185,194,217 Sura Al-maida 2,97, Sura Tauba 36, Sura Saba 15, Sura Qadr 3.

From what I understand, the the presence of the definite artical "al" has an impact on the way the words is to be determined:

Let's go to 194

الشهر الحرام بالشهر الحرام
Here the context definitely changes because it is talking about fighting during a certain period. Also note that the definite artical is used.

217 has the same context... fighting within a certain period. So the meaning of month will be used.

Same situation in 5:2, and 97...

9:36 I would translate as "The count of the months with God is twelve full moons in God's record from the day He created the heavens and the Earth" ... or "The count of the months with God is twelve, was made known/public/apparent in God's laws/record from the day He created the heavens and the Earth"

If the word ShAHR only meant months, it could have read
"إن عدة الشهور عند الله اثنا عشر في كتب الله يوم خلق السموت والأرض "

But we know that this not the case.

As for Surah Saba:12 not 15... It may again have to do with being known or apparent, the third meaning of the root Sh H R ... from which the word mashhoor is derived.

"And to Sulaimaan, the trajected wind: Its coming direction was made known/apparent, and its going direction was made known/apparent"... are we talking about sailing here?

Correlate with "ولسليمن الريح عاصفة تجري بأمره" from 21:81 "And to Solomon the directed winds ran with his command" ... and that the Shayaateen "the unruley" used to DIVE for him. So really, he made use of science and technology and used to SAIL in his SHIPS with the help of the wind.

ShAHR here in my opinion may not have anything to do with "months". The QXP rendition does present a very plausible explanation for it however.

I am still researching on the issue and would appreciate feedback.
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada