Wudhu Ghusal

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
sonya

Wudhu Ghusal

Post by sonya »

Salaams,

I am new here. I have a question regarding the origin, the importance, and necessity of wudhu and Ghusal in relation to Quranic requirements.

I await your learned responses.

Sonya

PS If this has been answered previously, please send me the links to the posts.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Wudhu Ghusal

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum Sonya and welcome to the Forum!

There is a very logical explanation for this Command in the Quran. Salaat-Jumaah is one of the basis of the Islamic State and the means to keep the public involved in State and Society matters. They were always called for important matters or the weekly/monthly discussion on society matters. To uphold the balance in society, every person in the State is called to join these gatherings. These gatherings decided the prosperity of the people, and so the Muslims were all obligated to attend:

62:9 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! When the call for Salaat is announced on the Day of the Congregation, hasten to the remembrance of God and leave your commerce. That is for your own good if you use your knowledge to understand.

It is understandable that some people would not hesitate to jump up from whatever they were doing to join the congregation. As some people may have some dirty chores, or just came from the bathroom or other matters. God gave the command for Wudhu or Ghusal to make sure people were not disturbed by other people showing up dirty, and also to psychologically prepare people for the discussion or anouncements.

If the verse on Wudhu would not have been given, it would not have surprised me if some people attended a gathering without cleaning themselves. This verse reminds them of the responsibility to clean themselves for their own health, but especially for not to disturb other people joining the Jumaah. This made sure people wouldn't mind to join the Gathering.

Imagine if one guy showed up every week, really dirty and smelling. Would you like to attend those gatherings? No, of course not. This verse prevents such unnecessary frictions to occur in the Muslim structure.

5:6 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! When you congregate for Salaat, wash your faces and your forearms, hands to the elbows. Lightly rub your heads and your feet to the ankles. If you are in the post-coital state, bathe your whole body. But, if you are ill or traveling, or coming from the privy, or are in the post-coital state and find no water, then take clean sand or earth and lightly rub your faces and hands. (This will help you prepare mentally for congregational prayer 4:43) God does not wish to place upon you any difficulty, but to make you clean and to perfect His blessings upon you, that you be grateful.
usaamah

Wudhu Ghusal

Post by usaamah »

Salaam brother Arnold,

It is imperative, as the Holy Book says, to do Ghusl in a post-coital state. The injunction is to "bathe the whole body". There is certainly no indication as to how one should do the Ghusl.

Now, what we have been taught as "Ahkaame Ghusl" include, among other things, such practices as pouring water over each shoulder thrice, and ensuring that the water poured over your head reaches every pore of your skull. Muhammad Asim, the compiler of the widely-read "Fiqh-us-Sunna", even states that Hadrat Ali was so fearful of the consequences of the water not reaching each pore of the skull that he shaved his head so as to avoid the trouble. While I understand that this is typical Mullah hyperbole, I want to know whether the Qur'anic injunction to simply bathe the whole body overrides the rites of the "Ahkaame Ghusl".

Appreciate your response.

Wassalaam
Arnold Yasin Mol

Wudhu Ghusal

Salaam Usaamah,

This story about Hazrat Ali being scared to miss a pore is of course complete nonsense. This religious approach to God, God being presented as a dictator that is concerned with such matters and wants to be pleased is nowhere to be found in the Quran, only in the mind of the uneducated.

God creates the Universe with all its magnitude, but is concerned with being pleased? What a weird view they have on God.

The Quran always gives the basis, it says: "Take a bath". How much more do you need? What is the purpose of a bath? To clean your self. Do you need more?

To clean yourself and how much depends on how dirty you are. Sometimes it can be done with only one water pour, sometimes it takes 10.

This idea of 3 times not only creates problems when more is needed, it makes it a ritual, while it is only a hygenic custom. If only 1 or 2 is needed, why 3? Why waste the water?

The Quranic message is always about, act on the circumstances. It is flexible. Of course it doesn't give a fixed bath, it gives a GOAL. To be clean. And it is our duty to reach that goal. TO BE CLEAN.

So using rituals has nothing to do with the goal, and thus the 3 times is nonsense. You do it 3 times when you are dirty enough for 3 times, and not because it is tradition.

The bath is for hygiene purposes, it is not about pleasing God as the clergy tries to promote.

And this story about Ali even contradicts the Prophet, history says he had a full load of hair...
bkanwar2

Wudhu Ghusal

Post by bkanwar2 »

Borthers, Peace. Word Wudu is no where to be found in Quran. After, this next logical question to be asked, where did prophet had knowledge of it. The only other way was if word exsisted in his spoken language. I did a search in Lane' Lexicon and Lisan Ul Arab. Word Wudu=act of ablution, a verb, did not exsist at the time of prophet in Qureshi dialect. A word spelled with a fatha over last Wao and not Damma did exsist. This word is a noun means clear.

I did a google search for origin of word Wudu. One comes up as a pre-seventh century English words for woods. Also for Voodoo the ritualistic religion well know.

Question if the word and it's use as verb did not exsist at the time or before Noble prophet. How he came to know it? Please answer.

Badar
hati

Wudhu Ghusal

Post by hati »

Brother Anold,

Please clarify why this part of the verse 5:6 is translated as "Lightly rub your heads and your feet to the ankles." Please cite the original arabic.

Thanks.

God Bless You.

Hati
Arnold Yasin Mol

Wudhu Ghusal

AKUM vs IKUM - Wudhu

Posted By: *Dr. Shabbir* - Florida
Date: Tuesday, 28 November 2006, at 4:08 a.m.

Email

5:6 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! When you congregate for Salat, wash your faces and your forearms, hands to the elbows. Lightly rub your heads and your feet to the ankles. ---.

"5:6. Ya ayyuha allatheena amanoo itha qumtum ila alssalati faighsiloo wujoohakum waaydiyakum ila almarafiqi waimsahoo biruoosikum waarjulakum ila alkaAAbayni

****faighsiloo wujoohakum = wash your faces,(notice the end of the word ..akum)

****waimsahoo biruoosikum = wipe your head,(notice the end of the word ..ikum)

****waarjulakum = and your feet ,(notice the end of the word ..akum)

Because the word waarjulakum is written with .....lakum, it follows the washing of the face.....lakum, grammatically.

For the feet to follow the wiping of the head it should have been writttten as waarjulikum , that is .....likum and NOT ....lakum as it is in the verse."

I have discussed this with several arabic speaking persons, and most confirm the verse says 'rub your head and feet'. But still i would like to understand the above better.

- A questioner

-------------------------------------------------

Answer:

IKUM and AKUM are not grammatically important here.

KUM is sufficient (YOUR in plural). The flow of the verse here means 'wipe your feet'. Shias are right here but for the wrong reason.

The Sunnis write AKUM.

The Shias write IKUM from the so-called non-existent QIR'AT IBN 'ABBAS (Abdullah bin Abbas bin Abdul Muttalib.)

Hazrat Abdullah bin Abbas was the son of the exalted prophet's paternal uncle, Hazrat Abbas). How could the prophet's cousin have a different copy of the Qur'an.

Interestingly, through the same non-existent QIR'AT IBN 'ABBAS, the Shias bring support for MUT'AH (temporary marriage.) They maintain that that QIR'AT said, "Marry women ILA AJALIM-MUSAMMA" (Marry women for an appointed or pre-determined time).

Allah says in 2:231 - DO NOT MAKE ALLAH'S VERSES A LAUGHING STOCK.

You know QIR'AT means a way of reciting and not writing.

I hope, I am clear.

-SA