alcohol related stats

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
shez

alcohol related stats

Post by shez »

slaam all,

does anyone know any good source where I can get some statistic on alcohol related crimes etc?

Regards
Thanks & Regards

- Shez
[Dust is my bed...]
tammyswofford

alcohol related stats

Post by tammyswofford »

This is from the U.S. Justice Department, the Bureau of Statistics. If you want accurate statistics from another nation, it is best to move into the search engine looking for federal or state compilation of statistics as opposed to those presented by individual organizations. The reason for this is that the statistics are only as good as the analyst or the agenda. Statistics can be "agenda driven" in some organizations and manipulated for the desired outcome.

The role of alcohol in crime victimization

About 1 million violent crimes occurred in 2002 in which victims perceived the offender to have been drinking at the time of the offense. Among those victims who provided information about the offender's use of alcohol, about 30% of the victimizations involved an offender who had been drinking.

Two-thirds of victims who suffered violence by an intimate (a current or former spouse, boyfriend, or girlfriend) reported that alcohol had been a factor. Among spouse victims, 3 out of 4 incidents were reported to have involved an offender who had been drinking. By contrast, an estimated 31% of stranger victimizations where the victim could determine the absence or presence of alcohol were perceived to be alcohol-related.

For about 1 in 5 violent victimizations involving perceived alcohol use by the offender, victims also reported they believed the offender to have been using drugs as well. *********************************************

Tammy Swofford
shahalam66

alcohol related stats

Post by shahalam66 »

Respected Tammy,

So who do you blame, alcohol or the alcoholic? Some people misunderstand human piety by saying:

Alcohol is the greatest evil among communities. It causes disease, quarrels, sedition, idleness, aversion to labor and family disorder. It does not make a man die, but it degrades him into a brute. Alcohol ruins moral and health...

But it is always human that creates its own shame and our disgrace does not lie in alcohol. As we do not automatically find our character within the pages of holy scriptures, so we cannot ask alcohol to behave. Therefore in reality there is no such thing as 'alcohol related crime'.

Remember, alcohol related crime is just a major cause of statistics. Any impetuous statistics on alcohol crime needs reflection.
shahalam
tammyswofford

alcohol related stats

Post by tammyswofford »

Respected Shahalam,

The saying "What you condone in moderation your children will embrace in excess" is applicable to alcohol and any other vice which exposes the vulnerability of the human frame.

I will always maintain that the most potent of all intoxicants is hatred. Although it cannot be bottled, it can be passed from the parent to the child with ease.

Because there is the propensity for all manner of evil, and each one knows the measure of his own heart, so we must live according to boundaries which protect our lives from disaster. I drink alcohol at social gatherings, but not for intoxication. It is usually at celebratory events hosted by friends, a military dinner/dance for instance, or a fund-raiser. I do not feel condemned for it. There have been no regrettable behaviors as a result of this, but I am a disciplined individual.

I know your community forbids such things but I dare say still grapples with alcoholism too.

R/Tammy