Why we need a label 'Islam' if Al-Quran is for all mankind

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
Naushad

Post by Naushad »

Salaamz,

I ponder at times that Al-Quran is guidance for all mankind. It actually tries to get us away from concept of ritualistic RELIGION to a way of life - DEEN. As this is true then I wonder that why do we even need labels such as ISLAM or MUSLIM if the goal is to unite all mankind under the umbrella of imutable laws of Allah?

The tradionalists spend so much time in trying to prove the supremacy of Islam due to the exact same notion that Islam is a ritualistic religion and it will overcome every other ritualistic religion and anyone not coming under the label of Islam or Muslim will be a loser in this life and the life after. This to me is not correct because Quran in many places refers to all mankind and announces that those who are rightous and work hard to establish a just system and do work to benefit humanity (regardless of the label they fall under i.e. Muslim, Jew, Christian etc) are the ones who will be the ultimate winners.

From QXP
- Those who attain belief and call themselves Muslims and those who are Jews, and the Agnostics, and Christians - whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, and does work that benefits humanity, for them shall be no fear from without, nor shall grief touch them from within. (5:69)

Based on above my question is why do we even need a label such as Islam or Muslim if our common goal is to work hard for a just system and to help humanity?

Thanks,

Naushad.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Naushad,

Who ever said these were labels and not words with meanings?

Why I still use Muslim is, that there is no word in European languages that can encompass the whole definition of the word. Same with Islam.

But what I do try to do is, is explain the definitions of the words, and show there is a difference with the current label and how the Quran describes it.
shahalam66

Post by shahalam66 »

Salam Arnold,

Mr. Naushad raises a point in the last sentences of his post.

The challenges of human soul is the acquisition of experience beyond words. The language of human soul is feeling. If you want to know whats true for you about something, look to how you are feeling about it. At times feelings are difficult to discover and acknowledge, yet hidden in our deepest feeling we find truth.

Words are mere words, signs, symbols and insignias. They may help us understand something but they are not the real feelings. That is why we generally 'learned muslims' in most Islamic seminaries.

There was a 'learned muslim' who placed most emphases on Bukhari words. Whenever our discussion of reality differed from those words, he autmatically discarded the true feelings and owned the words of his book. though it should have been the other way.

That is why you wont find words for Islam and muslim in Eurpoean or other languages and it is futile to create one.
shahalam
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Shahalam,

It is hard to show the difference between Islam and Islam. But I do not try to present myself as something different then a Muslim as I'm not creating a new sect or group.

So I'm more focussed on what Islam is and to show what Islam is not. What the people in the future do is up to them. They will find their own ways to express it, we do not need to worry about the labels or definitions of the future.
abdullah

Post by abdullah »

Salam (Peace)

We need to understand the terminologies that will explain each word and hidden meaning underneath.

As per my understanding of Al-Quran, word Muslim means "Submitter" (from arabic word SLAMA. Deen means "Decision" (as Malik e yumme Deen) and Islam means "Peace". So whoever decides to submit to the words of Allah SWT (Al-Quran) for ataining peace is called MUSLIM (Submitter).

Thanks

Wasslam
Perceptions

Post by Perceptions »

Naushad!

Salaam, I think Submission is referred as Islam, and the submitters are called Muslims by QURAN itself!

46:15 We have enjoined on man kindness to his parents: In pain did his mother bear him, and in pain did she give him birth. The carrying of the (child) to his weaning is (a period of) thirty months. At length, when he reaches the age of full strength and attains forty years, he says, "O my Lord! Grant me that I may be grateful for Thy favour which Thou has bestowed upon me, and upon both my parents, and that I may work righteousness such as Thou mayest approve; and be gracious to me in my issue. Truly have I turned to Thee and truly do I bow (to Thee) in Islam."

3.67: Ibrahim was not a Jew nor a Christian but he was (an) upright (man), a Muslim , and he was not one of the polytheists.