Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
SE

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

Post by SE »

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

Why it is important

Knowledge of al-nasikh wa al-mansukh is important because it concerns the correct and exact application of the laws of Allah. It is specifically concerned with legal revelations:
[list]
[*]It is one of the important pre-conditions for explanation (tafsir) of the Qur'an.

[*]It is one of the important pre-conditions for understanding and application of the Islamic law (hukm, shari'a).

[*]It sheds light on the historical development of the Islamic legal code.

[*]It helps to understand the immediate meaning of the ayat concerned.[/list]
Tafsir (explanation of the Qur'an) or legal ruling is not acceptable from a person who does not have such knowledge.

Shah Waliullah (d. 1759) the great Muslim scholar from India only retained the following 5 out of Suyuti's 21 cases as genuine:

Mansukh 2:180..........Nasikh 4:11, 12
Mansukh 2:240..........Nasikh 2:234
Mansukh 8:65............Nasikh 8:62
Mansukh 30:50..........Nasikh 33:52
Mansukh 58:12..........Nasikh 58:13

Abrogation and Specification

There is of course a difference between abrogation and specification. By the latter is meant that one revelation explains in more detail or according to specific circumstances how another revelation should be understood.

Summary

The Qur'an, in 2:106, refers to the concept of naskh. However, there is a difference of opinion about the extent to which al-nasikh wa-al mansukh does in fact occur in the text of the Qur'an. The information concerning al-nasikh wa-al mansukh must be treated with great caution as, for all reports concerning the text of the Qur'an, two independent witnesses are required. Many of the examples which the scholars have drawn upon to illustrate this question (and I have quoted them for the same purpose) are based on one witness only. 'A'isha alone reported that 10 or 5 sucklings had been part of the Qur'anic recitation, and only 'Umar reported that the 'verse of stoning' had been included in the Qur'anic text. These legal rulings are not included in the Qur'an precisely because they were not considered reliable, being based on one witness only. Similarly, other examples about naskh, based on the words of Ibn 'Abbas or Mujahid alone, are to be judged by the same measure.

However, as mentioned there remain a small number of verses which, as far as can be ascertained from the internal evidence of the Qur'an, have been superseded by other verses in the Qur'an.

-------------------------

What is aborgated, and why? (if anything)
Arnold Yasin Mol

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam SE,

I will answer your question later, but please do not post such long posts, you can quote things partialy to make your point.

:D
SE

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

Post by SE »

sorry, I'll just leave a few things I want to draw to everyone's attention. namely:

Tafsir (explanation of the Qur'an) or legal ruling is not acceptable from a person who does not have such knowledge.

I don't agree with it, I don't think the Sunna can aborgate the Qur'an. Also, int the Qur'an, it is specification not aborgation.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

My dear brother,

The whole concept of abrogation is whiped out by these simple verses. The concept of Sunnah is, what the majority beliefs the behaviour is. Secondly, you will NOT find any agreement in the Muslim world what Sunnah is.

How can something which no one agrees on, delete the Quranic Message?

See how the criminals work and how the Quran warns us:

6:114 Say, “Shall I seek for Judge and Ruler someone other than God? He it is Who has revealed this Book, well expounded in detail for you.” Those whom We have given the Book know that this is revealed in Truth from your Lord. Be not among those who argue for the sake of argument.
6:115 Perfected is the Word of your Lord in Truth and Justice. None can
change His Words and His Laws
. And He is the Profound Hearer, the Knower.
(6:34, 6:115, 10:64, 17:77, 18:27, 33:38, 33:62, 40:85, 48:23)
6:116 (People will confront you with what the majority is doing) Now if you pay heed to, or get intimidated by majority of those who live on earth, they will lead you astray from God’s Way. Most of the people follow nothing but conjecture and they only live by guesswork.
Naushad

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

Post by Naushad »

Dear brother Saif El-Deen,

You will come across many such absurdities in the sunni world or websites like Sunnipath or IslamQA or AskImam. The so-called scholars on these sites are devotees of the mazhabs created by their Imams (Hanafi, Shafaee, Maliki, Hanbali etc). They will not budge regardless of what evidence from the book of Allah you present to them. The words written in their books of fiqhs are the binding force on them.

Indeed it is very sad that majority of the muslim ummah is following them without bothering to investigate on their own that what they are hearing from a certain mullah is truth or conjecture.

We spend so much time investigating options in worldy affairs (such as buying a house, buying a car, comparing electronics before purchase) but sadly when it comes to information related to deen we are happy and content in following the imam of our local area etc. I know from personal experience that only time a muslim (from this crowd of blind followers) looks for an alternate opinion of another scholar is when the issue at hand is causing some difficulty for him. THEN you will see him approaching scholar after scholar to get the fatwa that provides him with more flexibility.

The whole point of my post is that it is quite sad that majority is blindly following. I was in the exact same boat even upto last year and trying to come out of the blind follower mentality that these imams wants us to adhere to.

Just one example of how staunchly they support their schools of thought:

Taken from Hanafi website AskImam.org
Following the Other Madhhab is a Punishable Offence

“If someone is a Hanafee and becomes a Shafi’ee, then his witness will not be accepted” (Durr Mukhtaar (Urdu Trans.), vol.3, p.297)

“When a person switches from one Madhhab to another Madhhab, he shall be inflicted with Ta’zeer.” (Durrul Mukhtar) Ta’zeer refers to punishment meted out by an Islamic court. Such punishment may either be flogging or imprisonment.” Kitabul-Imaan p.73.

The words of Durrul Mukhtar, mentioned in the query have been clarified by Allamah Ibn Aabideen in his sharah, Raddul Muhtar. He explains that switching from one mazhab to the other is not permissible and is a punishable act, when it is done for worldly reasons or to fulfil one’s desires. There is no harm in changing from one mazhab to the other for a reason that is valid in Shari’ah.

For example, it is not permissible for a person to change his mazhab in order to get married to a woman from another mazhab. The nikah of this person will be valid, but he is liable for ta’zeer and his witness will not be accepted, as he had taken the matters of Deen lightly, in order to achieve a worldly benefit.

Raddul Muhtar Vol:4 Pg:80 (H.M. Sa’eed Company)

Please feel free to message me if you need to know about any of my personal experiences that helped me come out of this madhab follower mindset.

Best regards,

Naushad.

P.S. Brother Arnold, I apologize for quoting material from external site. Please let me know if this is inappropriate or against forum policy.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Al-Nasikh wa Al-Mansukh

Salaam Naushad,

No, not a problem at all. The first extreme long post was a bit unnecessary, this is why I commented on it, also because his question was hidden beneath it.

ABROGATION

No Qur'anic verse was ever abrogated.

Mullahs insist that many verses have been revoked by Hadith and by one another! 2:106 points to abrogation of many of the old Biblical Laws.

2:106 Any Message (of aforetime) that We revoke or cause to be lost to history, We replace it with a better or similar one suitable to the times. Do you not know that Allah is the Supreme Controller of all things and events in Time and Space? [Some of the People of the Book question why a new Revelation was necessary. The evolution of human civilization has now come to a point where the Final Message for all mankind, can be given, implemented and preserved forever. So, the Qur’an is now the perfected Message for all mankind at all times, its preservation guaranteed by none but the Almighty Himself. 5]

To understand what the Quran is, carefully study these verses:

What Allah says about the Quran in the Quran:

-There is no doubt in this Book (2:2).

-Allah has taken the responsibility to explain it (75:19).

-Allah says He has revealed the Quran and He will protect it (15:9).

-Allah’s revelation to the Prophet (PBUH) is written in the Quran (6:19). There is no verse in the Quran which says that Allah’s revelation to the Prophet (PBUH) is outside the Quran.

-Momineen are asked to obey the revelation from Allah (7:3).

-The Prophet (PBUH) was asked to obey the revelation sent down on him (10:109).

-He was asked to follow the Quran (75:18).

-Allah required the Prophet (PBUH) to follow the blessed Book sent down on him (6:155).

-The Prophet (PBUH) used to judge matters according to the revelation sent down on him (5:48).

-Those who do not judge matters according to what Allah has revealed are Kaafirs (5:44).

-In the Quran, Allah has completed His message and no one can change anything in it (6:34, 6:115).

-The Quran encompasses the message of earlier revelations (5:48). So, the truth of earlier revelations is now contained in the Quran.
-In it there are no contradictions (4:82).

-Allah has called the Quran "Tibyaanan li Kulli Shaiyin (16:89)". This means it explains everything.

-Allah gives many verses on a particular topic over and over again (6:105, 17:41). This means that we have to collect all the verses on a topic in order to understand it fully. This is the Divine method of understanding the Quran.

-The Prophet (PBUH) was required to solve all human differences through the Quran (16:64).

-The Prophet (PBUH) was required to admonish and remind people through the Quran (50:45).

-The Quran itself is light (5:15). So, it is not dependent on another source of light.

-This light (i.e., the Quran) has been given so that human beings, using this light, can travel safely on the path of life (6:122).

-Allah undertook the responsibility to collect the Quran (75:17).

-Whatever difference human beings have, the decision is with Allah (42:10). [Since Allah’s decision is contained only in the Quran, it is logical to believe that it has the power to serve as the constitution for the entire world, creating a universal brotherhood. The model implemented by the Prophet (PBUH) is a proof of this.]

Then look at the history of the Hadith and Sunnah, the so-called authorities which they try to claim as the right to abrogate the Quran:

What do we know about the Quran, and what do we know about Hadith and Sunnah:

-The Quran is the final word of God.

-It has been preserved exactly as it was revealed to the Prophet (PBUH).

-The Prophet (PBUH) left only the Quran in written form since he forbade writing of hadith during his life time (Sahih Al-Muslim).

-The Quran was written by very honorable scribes (80:16).

-There were many companions who had memorized the entire Quran word by word.

-Unlike the authenticity of hadith, there is no dispute among scholars (Sunni or Shi’ia) about the authenticity of the Quranic verses.

-There are six Sunni books of hadith which are normally referred to as "sa’hha sitta" (six true books). Shi’ias have their own four important books of -hadith. These were compiled and written based on (a chain of) oral narration mostly in the third century Hijrah or later.

-Scholars agree that the chain of narrators transmitted the meaning of hadith and not the exact words of the Prophet (PBUH).

-It is generally agreed that the chain of narrators, no matter how reliable, were humans and subject to human errors. Consequently, their narrations -are subject to errors. The Quran is the only Book beyond error.

-As a consequence, ahadith are classified into several categories starting from "correct" on one side to "coined" on the other. (Verses of the Quran do not have such classification.)

-Shi’ia scholars do not accept Sunni books of hadith. Even among the Sunnis, there are some ahadith which are accepted as ‘correct’ by one group of scholars (Ahlul-Hadith, for example) but not by other groups (like Ahlul Fiqh and others).

-The authenticity of hadith is not equal to the authenticity of the verses of the Quran.

-"The sayings of the Prophet (PBUH) and the sayings we find in the books of ahadith are not necessarily one and the same." (Maulana Maududi, Rasayel-o-Massayel, Volume I, 1951 edition, page 270).

-Sahih Bukhari: This was compiled by Imam Muhammad Isma’il Bukhari. He was born in Bukhara and died near Samarqand in 256 A.H. (or in 260 A.H.). It is said that he collected about 600,000 ahaadith. From these he selected about 7,300 for his book, having discarded the rest.

-Sahih Muslim: This was compiled by Imam Muslim Bin Hujjaj. He was born in 204 A.H. in the famous Iranian city of Nishapur and died in 261 A.H. He collected about 300,000 ahaadith and selected 4,348 for his book.

-Tirmidhi: This was compiled by Imam Abu ‘Isa Muhammad Tirmidhi. He was born in the Iranian city of Tirmidh in 209 A.H. and died in 279 A.H.. He collected 300,000 ahaadith and selected 3,115.

-Abu Daawood: He was born in 202 A.H. in the Iranian city of Sistaan and died in 275 A.H. He collected 500,000 ahaadith and kept only 4,800 in his book.

-Ibn Maaja: This was compiled by Imam Abu Abdullah Muhammad Bin Zayd Ibn Maaja. He was from the Iranian city of Qazwin. He was born in 209 A.H. and died in 273 A.H. He collected 400,000 ahaadith and selected only 4,000 for his book.

-Nisayee: This was compiled by Imam Abdul Rahman Nisayee. He was born in the village of Nisa in the province of Khurasaan in Iran. He died in 303 A.H. He collected 200,000 and selected 4,321 for his book.

Nobody in his right mind would allow such dubious unscientific sources to have authority over the Quran.

How can the Quran be the Furqan/Criterion if its verses can be abrogated? How can the Quran be the judge between right and wrong in history and all else in human affairs, when itself is servant to the history it tries to explain?

See how the clergy have blinded us!

25:1 Most Blessed is He Who has revealed to His servant, the Criterion of the right and the wrong so that it might be a warning to the entire world.