bithibhin AAatheemin

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
kunderemp

bithibhin AAatheemin

Post by kunderemp »

"Wafadaynahu bithibhin AAatheemin
(We exchanged his life for a Momentous Sacrifice. (Please notice here the absence of the Biblical and the traditional myth of a 'ram' sent from the heavens. Also, note that slaughtering of a sheep or goat, by no means, can be considered a Momentous Sacrifice. (14:37), (37:102). QXP translation)"
37:107

Salam,

How could 'thal-ba-ha' means (not physically) sacrifice?
I understand it related to Abraham's family settled in barrent, plant-less valley.

But,is it common in Arabic, thal-ba-ha is used in a sentence in a meaning other than animal-slaughter?

regards,
Kunderemp Ratnawati Hardjito a.k.a
Narpati Wisjnu Ari Pradana
Live in Jakarta, the Capital City of Indonesia
Arnold Yasin Mol

bithibhin AAatheemin

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Kunderemp,

Dhabaha refers to To cut/slaughter/rip open/sacrifice. It was used for a victim, a slain man, a person who's live will be taken.

So it does not immediately refer to animal slaughter at all. It could be used for animal slaughter, but that is not the first and primary possibility. It refers to a sacrifice, which is a concept that can be taken in many different ways.

I also sacrifice my life for the mission, but no knife is at my throat. Throughout the Quran, every story of the Prophets is about how they struggled to create the Deen in their lifetime, this struggle was an immense sacrifice.

The priesthood in Jewish, and later on in Islamic interpretation, does not want the people to create the Deen. Thus the people was fooled by believing in an animal sacrife story, believing God is concerned about animals being dedicated to Him. The ancient view on God as the Dictator evil King that demands acknowledgements through rituals has clouded the minds of people.

Thus the Quran corrects the Biblical story by showing the sacrifice was not about ritual sacrifice, but about the struggle in creating the Deen.

I have had a similair question presented to me by a person, related to the same word:

27:21 (Absconding from the marching army was to breach of disciplines.) Solomon said, “Unless to commander presented to good reason I would punish him or demote him to to low rank.”

The word “dhabaha”, can have this meaning? ¿is correct? Please, help me.

To understand this word and its possibilities, we must look at what the context tells us, and what Classic Arabic uses it had.

Dhabaha in its primary meaning means To cut/slaughter/rip open/sacrifice. So its first oppression is that it has to do with killing, but this is not so. It was also used for opening a bottle, as it also means for example, To divide. Classic Arabic is a street language, very direct, simple and also has some very intruiging uses. Dhabaha was even used for a person with a distinct beard, so his upper and lower body was divided by it. A person who choked during wheeping, a sort of plant which the root was used to eat and people peeled it. It was used for a victim, a slain man, a person who's live will be taken.

So we have checked all meanings, everytime it refers to slaughtering something. Ok, what then? Then we must look at the context. First of all, what is the QUranic Law for capital punishment? Only in the case of murder of someone in the same position may the life of the murderer be taken, a free man for a free man, a slave for a slave.

So is it logical that a Prophet who was subject to the same kind of Law, since God's Laws has never changed, would utter such a threat? Saying it while knowing it cannot be done, as a sort of expression is possible, but this shows a person not controlling his emotions. But the Prophets are always praised for controlling their emotions. So this cannot be also.

So what could Solomon slaughter, what would be fair for a person not performing his job well? The complaint of Solomon is that the person is not on time, is taking to long. This it seems is at the moment very important, Hoodood must be on time.

As the Quran always upholds the Law of equality, free man for a free man, what is fair for a person that is not performing his duty correctly? Kill his rank! Kill his position. That is not only fair, but also logical.

Killing a person<->requital for murder
Killing his rank/position<->requital for not performing his duty correctly.

The Quranic Law and description of Prophets can only conclude this understanding. If we believe he was only expressing himself, then we are saying Solomon the Prophet was an over-exagerating emotional person, which cannot be correct. We can also not believe he means it, as this goes against God's eternal Law of equal justice.

So through Tasreef/crossreference, only one conclusion is left. The person was threatened to be cut in rank as a recompense for his failure, his position was killed.