Khutbah Jumaat

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
M.Ali

Khutbah Jumaat

Post by M.Ali »

Salam
It is a well known fact that on every Friday before the Salat Jumaat is carried out the imam will give 2 seperate khutbahs (sermons) to the Jamaah. Many of these khutbahs are recorded and if the imam is a well known figure the khutbahs are made into a book for reference by the followers.

This is they say in accordance with the practice of our Holy Prophet.

I wonder whether anyone could let me know the number of khutbahs Jumaat of our beloved Prophet or the sahabat karim that are recorded (maybe in hadith form) if any.

As far as I know there is non other than the Khutbah wada which co-incidently falls on a Friday!

Thank you and Salam.
Dr. Shabbir

Khutbah Jumaat

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear brother Ali, AA

The Friday congregation used to begin with

- Wudhu,
-Two units of 'prayers' in standing position with only Surah Fatihah in each unit
- And then recitation of some Qur'anic verses by the exalted prophet; verses chosen to address a particular situation at hand
- Followed by a practical plan to handle the situation and discussion about it.

(Some references *** Haroon Wa Baramikatil Faras by Sheikhul Ifta Salman bin Abu Qasim Baghdadi. Vol 1 pg 31-55 *** Meezan-il-Faris by Hujjatullah Abdul Qadir Ali Al-Moosvi pg 249-261 ***Takmilatil Lughatal 'Ain 'Urfa by Al-Ustaz Jalaluddin Al-Ash'ari on Imam Al-Khalil ibn Ahmad Shikoh Tabrezi vol 2 pg 3-5 *** Mujahid-al-Munafiq Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal by Abdul Muhsin bin Mullah Ali Al-Qari, pg 67-135)

Now the written available KHUTBAHS: Authenticity never guaranteed - Quite a few lines of these KHUTBAHS by the exalted prophet and his honored companions are found scattered in many books of history and Hadith. The most glaring example is the voluminous work NEHJUL BALAAGHAH (written centuries after but) ascribed to Hazrat Ali, as the collection of almost all his KHUTBAHS. But the book itself screams, "I cannot be the word of such a great and honorable SAHABI!"
Wassalam,
SA