Allah is not a moondeity--Proven through Tasreef

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Arnold Yasin Mol

Allah is not a moondeity--Proven through Tasreef

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

There are some ancient dictionaries that mention that the word Allah is connected to a moondeity. Because of this, attackers of Islam have always used this to mock Islam and refer to it as a moon-religion.

But if Allah really is a moongod(des), how can we explain then that the Quran refers to the moon in such a simple unimportant matter. The way the Quran refers to the Moon is not in a language as one would talk to a deity.

This is how the Quran refers to Allah:

1:1 All Praise is due to Allah, the Eternal Source of Life of the Universe and everything therein.

17:111 And say, "All Praise is due to Allah Who begets not an offspring, and has no partner in His Dominion, and has absolutely no weakness, hence no need of any aid." And so, extol His limitless Greatness. (Establish His Greatness in the Earth with all magnificence, as it is in the entire Universe). (9:33, 74:3).

These are just 2 simple examples, so I suggest to study closely the ways how Allah is referred too in the Quran to understand.

Now let's study how the moon is referred too. In the story of Abraham we see how the Moon is dismissed as an idol:

6:77 (The other night) when the moon was rising, he exclaimed, “This is my Lord." But when it went down, he said to himself and to the people, “Unless my Lord guides me, I surely will go astray.”
6:78 (In the morning) he saw the sun rising in splendor, and he said, “This is my Lord! This is greater!” But, as the sun went down, Abraham exclaimed, “O My people! I am free from all that you associate with God.”
6:79 “I have focused firmly on Him Who initiated the heavens and the earth; as an upright man I turn away from all that is false. I will never be an idol worshiper in any form.”

We can clearly see how the Moon is rejected as an idol, and clearly rejected as God.

The Quran also clearly says that we may NOT adore the Moon:

41:37 (Divine Laws help you journey through life in great balance as you see in the Nature). Now among His Signs are the night and the day as well as the sun and the moon. Adore neither the sun nor the moon, but adore Allah Who created them, if it is Him you wish to serve.

Now let's see further:

Moon as a calculating device:

2:189 (Self-control is a life-long challenge extending beyond the month of Ramadhan.) They ask you (O Messenger) about the phases of the Moon. Say, “They are calendars to help mankind determine certain seasons such as Hajj.” But know that righteousness can never be achieved by entering the System through the back door of ritualism. Only he who lives an upright life attains it. Enter the Divinely Ordained Way of Life straightforward as you must enter houses through their gates. Be mindful of Allah all year round in order to reap a rich harvest. (2:138, 2:177, 2:208. There is no such thing as a part-time Muslim.)

6:96 He is the Cleaver of the daybreak. He has appointed the night for stillness, (rest and tranquility) and the sun and the moon to run their well-calculated courses. They become means of calculating time for you (10:5). Such is the Design of the All-Powerful, the All-Knowing.

55:5 The sun and the moon run by a mathematical design.

And here the Moon is clearly said to be submitted to Allah's Command:

7:54 Verily, your Sustainer is Allah Who has created the heavens and the earth in six stages, and is established on the Throne of His Almightiness (10:3, 13:2). He draws the night over the day, each seeking the other in rapid succession. The sun, the moon, the stars are committed to serve by His Command. Listen and remember, to Him belongs the World of Creation, and to Him belongs the World of Command. Exalted, He is the Lord of the Worlds.

Moon as a reflector of the Sun's light:

10:5 He it is, Who appointed the sun as a splendid glow, and the moon as a cool light. He appointed stages for the moon, in due measure. You make your calculations and calendars accordingly (6:97, 17:12). Allah has created the Universe as the Absolute Reality and for a Purpose. (It is neither a dream, nor a reflection of the world of ideas). Allah details His Verses for those who wish to learn.

25:61 Blessed is He (the Beneficent) Who set up in the sky great constellations, and put therein a radiant Lamp, and a Moon giving light.

71:16 And made the moon a light therein, and made the sun a radiant lamp.

The Moon even borrows its light:

91:2 And the Moon that borrows its light.

Moon as something that submits to a human in a dream:

12:4 Thus spoke Joseph to his father, "O My father! I saw in a dream eleven stars, and the sun, and the moon, I saw them prone themselves unto me!"

The Moon is controlled by Allah:

13:2 Allah it is Who raised the heavens without pillars visible to you. Then upon the Throne of His Almightiness He assumed Supreme Control of the entire Universe. He committed the sun and the moon to be of service, each running to an appointed term. He keeps Order in the Universe and He explains His Messages in detail, so that you may be sure of meeting with your Lord. (Studying the Book of Nature will bring mankind closer to their Lord).

14:33 And makes the sun and the moon, both of them constant on their courses. And committed the night and the day to serve you.

16:12 He has committed in your service the night and the day, as well as the sun and the moon, and the stars are committed by His Command. These are sufficient signs for people who use their intellect.

The Moon has no freedom, it is stuck in its orbit:

21:33 And He it is Who created the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. They swim along each in an orbit.

36:40 It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor can the night outrun the
day. All of them swim along in their orbits. (The sun cannot cause the moon to gravitate towards itself and the night and the day cannot lengthen or shorten other than the appointed measure 21:33, 22:61, 25:62, 31:29, 41:37, 57:6).

39:5 He it is Who has created the heavens and the earth to fulfill a definite Purpose. He rolls the night over the day, and rolls the day over the night. And He has subjected the sun and the moon, each running along its course for a term appointed. Is not He the Almighty, the Ever-Absolver of Imperfections?

The Moon adores Allah:

22:18 Don't you see that all things and beings in the heavens and in the earth, the sun and[b] the moon, and the stars and the mountains, and the trees, and the animals, and a great many human beings pay adoration to Allah? And there are a great many human beings who make themselves worthy of Requital. And those whom the Divine Law shall disgrace, none can raise them to honor. For, Allah carries out all actions according to His Laws.[/b]

The Moon is submitted to Allah:

29:61 And thus it is - if you ask them, “Who is it that has created the heavens and the earth, and made subservient the sun and the moon?” They will answer, ”Allah". How come, then, are they lost in the wilderness of thought! (The Creator must be the Law-giving Authority to mankind as He is in the entire Universe. 21:20-22, 23:84-88, 31:25, 39:38, 43:9).

31:29 Do you not see that it is Allah Who makes the night grow longer by shortening the day, and makes the day longer by shortening the night? And that He has subjected the sun and the moon to His Laws, each running along its course for an appointed term? (13:2). Isn’t He Aware of all you do?

35:13 He makes the night grow longer by shortening the day, and makes the day grow longer by shortening the night. And He has committed the sun and the moon to service, each running to an appointed term. Such is Allah, your Lord – unto Him belongs all Dominion. And those whom you call upon instead of Him, do not own so much as the husk of a date-stone. (4:53, 4:124).

Moon's phases also controlled:

36:39 And the moon: We have measured for it phases until it becomes (a crescent) like an old curved date-stalk.

Moon created by Allah:

41:37 (Divine Laws help you journey through life in great balance as you see in the Nature). Now among His Signs are the night and the day as well as the sun and the moon. Adore neither the sun nor the moon, but adore Allah Who created them, if it is Him you wish to serve.

All of these clearly and completely reject the notion that Allah was seen as a moondeity by the Muslims. These claims are futile attempts to belittle the pure monotheism of the Quran which is to be found in all Revelations.

Surah 112 – Al-Ikhlas – The Pure Monotheism
Author’s note: This a very brief Surah that very forcefully and clearly
expounds strict Monotheism, nothing confusing about it as Trinity, Dualism or any shade of Polytheism.

With the Glorious Name of Allah, the Instant and Sustaining Source of all
Mercy and Kindness.

112:1 Say, "He is Allah, the One!
(He is Unique in His Essence and Attributes and He alone is the Sovereign
Law-Giver in the Universe).
112:2 Allah is Absolute, Eternal, Unique, Self-Sufficient, Perfect, Independent,
the Uncaused Cause of all that exists, Besought of all .
112:3 He begets not, nor is He begotten.
112:4 And there is none that could be comparable unto Him."