Aesop--Luqman

Research on approach and understanding of Islamic History, Sunna and Hadith.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Aesop--Luqman

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesop

Aesop (also spelled Æsop, from the Greek Αἴσωπος — Aisōpos), known only for the genre of fables ascribed to him, was by tradition a slave (δούλος) who was a contemporary of Croesus and Peisistratus in the mid-sixth century B.C. in ancient Greece. The various collections that go under the rubric "Aesop's Fables" are still taught as moral lessons and used as subjects for various entertainments, especially children's plays and cartoons. According to tradition he was at one point freed from slavery and eventually died at the hands of Delphians, but nothing is known about Aesop from credible records. In fact, the obscurity shrouding his life has led some scholars to doubt his existence altogether, notably because there is no fixed body of his work.

Surah 31 – Luqman – Locomon

[Author's note] This is the 31st Surah of the Qur'an. It has 34 verses. The reader is once again reminded that the Qur'an sticks with its style of unity in diversity, and the title does not restrict a whole Surah with itself.
Again, it is to be noted that the timing and the place of the Revelation of a Sur'ah is absolutely of no significance since the Book of Allah transcends temporal and spatial bonds. Long, contradictory and futile argumentation between the commentators about the Shan-e-Nuzool (the circumstance of a particular Revelation) are sheer waste of time and energy, and more noxiously, this exercise tends to shackle the Glorious Book to certain events of no significance. This point is proven to The Qur'an As It Explains Itself readers by the fact that at no point anywhere in the Mighty Book will they miss what 'caused' a certain Surah or Verses to be revealed.
Wisdom and knowledge transcend temporal, geographical and racial boundaries. Historically Luqman lived around 200 B.C. in an oasis in the Nubian desert of Northern Sudan. He was an emancipated slave of African descent.

"Rahib Luqman Mua'ammar Nubi the Hakeem, Suqrat Thani - (Sage Locomon, the Aged, the Nubean, the Wise, Socrates the second" was his full name along with titles.

Luqman is famous as Aesop, his Greek name. He had been taken captive to Greece from NE Sudan in one of their Viking like raids through the Red Sea. Lugman used to work in NE Sudan as a carpenter building boats.
As a child Luqman used to herd sheep, then as a young adult he had become a noted craftsman in carpentry. And that was the main reason for his abduction by the Greek pirates. Given the name Aesop, he lived in Greece under captivity for fifteen years serving his masters while writing his fabulous and world famous Aesop's Tales. An affluent businessman bought from him his collection in return for his emancipation. Luqman lived to be 110 years old and died in his village in Nubia.

He was a very wise man, and copies of his notebook known as Saheefah Luqman (The Scrolls of Luqman, produced in Greece) existed in the times of the exalted Messenger. Legend has it that a man read a few passages from that notebook to the exalted Messenger. He liked them and said, "Shall I now narrate to you a higher Wisdom?" Upon hearing a few verses of Surah Luqman that fan of Luqman instantly embraced Islam; and is now remembered as Hazrat Suwaid bin Saamit (r.a.)

Historians have speculated whether Luqman was a Prophet of God. But his famous quote implies that he was an intellectually and morally gifted man. When asked how and wherefrom he attained his outstanding wisdom, he responded, “From the ignorant!” (Yes, we can learn from any person, even from a child. And we can learn from our mistakes as well as from the mistakes of others).

31:12 And indeed, We granted this Wisdom to Luqman, “Be practically grateful to Allah, for whoever is grateful is but grateful for the good of his own “Self”. And whoever chooses to be ungrateful, must know that Allah is Self-Sufficient, Owner of all Praise."
31:13 And, behold, Luqman, enlightening his son, said this to him, "O My dear son! Never associate anyone with Allah, for, verily, SHIRK (believing in Law-givers besides Him) is a tremendous wrong.”

31:14 “(And O My dear son! Allah says) - We have ordained upon man goodness to his parents. His mother bore him by bearing strain upon strain, and his utter dependence on her lasted no less than two years. (2:233, 46:15). Hence, be grateful to Me and to your parents, and remember that your ultimate destination is with Me.”
31:15 “Yet, if they strive to make you ascribe partners to Me, that shall be obviously contrary to what you have learned – then obey them not. However, let your company be kind to both in this world. Follow the path of those who turn toward Me. In the end the return of you all is unto Me, and then I shall explain to you what you truly accomplished in life.

31:16 "O My little son! Verily, know that something even as tiny as a mustard seed, deep inside a rock, or in the Highs or in the Lows, Allah will bring it forth. For, behold, Allah is Sublime, Aware.”
31:17 “O My dear son! Strive to establish the Divine System wherever you are, and advocate the doing of what is right and forbid the doing of what is contrary to the Permanent Values. And remain steadfast in the face of whatever may befall you by way of opposition and persecution. All this, behold, will require unwavering determination.”

31:18 “And never be arrogant with people, and walk not haughtily on the earth. Behold, Allah does not love any bragging boaster. (17:37, 57:23).
31:19 “Hence, be modest in your pace and in your bearing, and lower your voice, for, behold the harshest voice is the braying of a donkey."
31:20 (This was some of the wisdom Luqman was endowed with.) Do you not realize that Allah has made of service to you all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth? And He has lavished upon you His Blessings, tangible and intangible. And yet, among people are those who argue about Allah without exploring the realm of knowledge, without taking the right approach or a Book giving Light.

31:21 And when such people are told to follow what Allah has revealed, they say, "Nay, we follow that which we have found our fathers doing." What! Even though Satan had invited them to the doom of Flames?"
31:22 Now whoever submits his whole being to Allah and is a doer of good to others, has indeed grasped the Strongest Bond (2:256). And Allah’s Laws determine the outcome of all things and actions. (WAJH = Face = Whole being).