THE FAREWELL ADDRESS of the Prophet

Research on approach and understanding of Islamic History, Sunna and Hadith.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

THE FAREWELL ADDRESS

In the year 632 A.D. (tenth year of Hijra), Prophet Muhammad, the
Exalted, came back to Makkah to perform the final pilgrimage. From a mountaintop, he addressed about 100,000 people as follows:

(Only the highlights will be given)

"O, mankind! I believe we will not meet in this congregation again.
Remember your blood (life), your property, and your honor, are sacred unto each other. Very soon you will have to explain your actions before God.

The ways of Jahiliyah (darkness), I demolish under my feet.
I revoke this day, all previous warfare, contention, bloodshed, and chain revenge. I am the first to forgive the murder committed against my family.
Interest on money has been cancelled. I am the first one to cancel all usury on behalf of my family.

Remember, no black is superior to a white, and no white person is superior to a black person, and no Arab is better than a non-Arab and no non-Arab is better than an Arab.

The best among you will be the one who is best in conduct.

Be fearful of God in matters concerning your wives. Do treat your women well. Be kind to them. They are your companions, partners, and helpers.
Remember everyone is a shepherd. You will be questioned about those under your care.
If a non-Muslim is wronged in our state I would personally plead on his or her behalf.

Avoid extremes in religion.

Peace, remember peace, O' Mankind!
O' mankind! I am leaving behind a thing among you. If you hold it fast, you will never go astray. And that is the Book of Allah.

Even if a (former) slave is chosen among you as the Ruler, obey him. Obey him as long as he guides you according to the Book of Allah.
O' mankind! No prophet will come after me. And there is no Ummah (divine community) after you.

Remember that all believers are brothers and sisters to one another. It is only lawful to take from a brother what he gives willingly.
On the Day of Judgement, you will be asked about me. Tell me, what you will say.

The congregation proclaimed "We witness that you have conveyed the message of Allah. You have clearly defined for us the right and the wrong."

On hearing this, the Holy Prophet raised his right hand:
"O' Allah, be witness. O' Allah, be witness. O' Allah, be witness.
O' people, listen! Those of you, who are present, must convey this message to others who are not present at this place and at this time."

At this point, Allah revealed a verse to the Final Prophet and Messenger:

"THIS DAY I HAVE PERFECTED YOUR RELIGION FOR YOU. I HAVE COMPLETED MY FAVOR UPON YOU AND HAVE CHOSEN FOR YOU AL-ISLAM, AS THE WAY OF LIFE."
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

FAREWELL SERMON: 3 VERSIONS
GREG W. KAVALEC
There seems to be 3 versions of Last Sermon of the Prophet.
Here are the references to the three versions of one sentence in the Sermon.
01). I leave with you the Quran and my Sunnah. Muwatta, 46/3
02). I leave with you the Quran and Ahl al-bayt. Muslim 44/4, Nu2408; Ibn Hanbal 04/366; Darimi 23/1, Nu 3319.
03). I leave for you the Qur'an alone you shall uphold it. Muslim 15/19, no.
1218; Ibn Majah 25/84, Abu Dawud 11/56.
So... Quran & Ahl ul Bayt 1 out of 3. Qur’an & Sunnah 1 out of 3. Qur’an 3 out of 3. That should speak to the issue. But will it?
Wassalam,
SA
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

THE TRULY REMARKABLE LAST WORDS:

"Allahumma Rafeeqil A'laa" (Allah is the Glorious Companion). Even in his last words, the Prophet (S) raised humanity to glorious heights. Thinking of Allah as our Companion confers tremendous dignity upon humankind. Thus, we become the lesser companions. When we live according to His Laws, we figuratively join hands with Him, thereby creating Paradise on the earth and inheriting it in the Hereafter.
Wassalam,
SA