MAJ: What is an Islamic State? Aug 1941

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Dr. Shabbir

MAJ: What is an Islamic State? Aug 1941

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

In August 1941, Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah gave an interview to the students of the Osmania University, Hyderabad Deccan. The replies he gave to the questions asked by the students show his deep understanding of Islam. Here are excerpts from the interview:

Q. What are the essential features of religion and a religious state?

A. When I hear the word “religion,” my mind thinks at once, according to the English language and British usage, of private relations between man and God. But I know full well that according to Islam, the word is not restricted to the English connotation. Islam is a DEEN, a way of life. I am neither a Maulwi nor a Mullah, nor do I claim a comprehensive knowledge of theology. But I have studied on my own the Holy Quran and Islamic tenets. The magnificent Book is full of guidance about all aspects of human life, whether spiritual or economic, political or social, leaving nothing untouched.

Q. What is the distinctive feature of the Islamic state?

A. There is a special feature of the Islamic state which must not be overlooked. That is, obedience is due to God and God alone, which takes practical shape in the observance of the Quranic principles and commands. In Islam, obedience is due neither to a king, nor to a parliament, nor to any other organization. It is the Quranic ordinances that determine the limits of our freedom and restrictions. In other words, the Islamic state is an agency for implementation of the Quranic principles and injunctions.
Wassalam,
SA