SALAMUN ALAIKUM

What is the Deen, System of Life, according to the Quran, and how and why is Islam a challenge to Religion?
Dr. Shabbir

SALAMUN ALAIKUM

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

3/27/08 Dear Brothers and Sisters, Salamun alaikum!

I had put off addressing for the last 10 years the universal error of saying and writing “ASSALAM ALAIKUM” until Sister J.Bingstrom from Sweden has very kindly asked us to clarify the situation.

Respected Sister Bingstrom! Thanks for drawing my attention to something that no one so far had. :-) You have broken the ice for me and this will make all of us learn more.

Dr. A.N. Whitehead of UK/USA said in the early 20th century, "It takes an extra-ordinary mind to see the obvious." You know that, with time, certain wrong things get so deeply rooted in societies that they gain a wide general acceptance and no one then even thinks of questioning them. So, Salamun alaikum again! :-)

“Assalam alaikum” is invariably translated as “Peace be upon you!” But the correct translation would be, “The Peace be upon you!” which makes no sense or wrong meaning as you will see. We know that Al- or, in this case As-, indicates “The”.

“Assalam alaikum” does not appear anywhere in the Qur’an.
Rather, we find, “Salamun alaikum!” = Peace be upon on! Or, Salutes to you!

6:54 When those who believe in Our revelations come to you, say, “Salamun alaikum!” (Peace be upon you! = Salutes to you!)

Of course, then, the exalted prophet and his noble companions must have been saying and writing, “Salamun alaikum!”

Related narratives:
24:61 Tahayyah = Greetings!
25:75 Tahiyyat-anw-wa-Salama = Greetings and Salutations of Peace!
27:59 Wa Salamun ‘ala ‘ibaadihi... = And Peace upon His servants!
33:44 Tahiyyatuhum ...Salam = Their greetings will be... “Peace!”
37:79 Peace and salutation to Noah in the worlds! (Salamun ‘ala ...)
37:109 Peace and salutation to Abraham! (Salamun ‘ala ...)
37:120 Peace and salutation to Moses and Aaron! (Salamun ‘ala ...)
37:130 Peace and salutation to Elijah! (Salamun ‘ala ...)
37:181 And salutations to all the message-bearers! (Salamun ‘ala ...)
56:91 Fa Samun Luk - So, “Salutation of Peace for thee!" (Salamun ‘ala ...)

NOTE: Assalam is an attributive Name of God.
59:23 --- The King Supreme, the Impeccable, the Peace and the Source of all peace, the Guardian of faith and security, the Watcher over all things, the Majestic, All Powerful, the Superb. Glorious is God, far above what they ascribe to Him.

--- Al-Malik-ul-Quddoos-Us-Salam-Ul-Mu’min ---

Notice: Us-Salam = As-Salam = Assalam

Now, think again of Assalam alaikum! Are we right? Are we wrong here? Is it a significant matter for the students of the Qur’an or is it trivial?

Why does Shabbir have to answer so many brand new, thought provoking questions? - Simply because our "scholars" have confined themselves to hearsay, vain writings and sectarian argumentations for 1,000 years.

Although the Qur'an is the decisive Authority, this fallible, life-long student must humbly ask for SHURA (consultation 42:38).

[Upon consultation with friends, I decided to move this post from the blog to the forum since it was unanimously considered a habit that won't change and it has no bearing on the well-being of the Ummah.

It will be certainly better to write and say "Salamun alaikum!" and, in response, "Wa Salamun alaikum!" for those who want to.]
Wassalam,
SA
arista

SALAMUN ALAIKUM

Post by arista »

Salam Dr.

Can you please explain 19:33 and 19:15 ? Why 19:33 using AL and the other is not? Because these two will always question by those, if I try to argue about greeting not using assalam alaikum...

Regard,
Arista
arista

SALAMUN ALAIKUM

Post by arista »

Salam Dr.

Can you please explain 19:33 and 19:15 ? Why 19:33 using AL and the other is not? Because these two will always question by those, if I try to argue about greeting not using assalam alaikum...

Regard,
Arista
Dr. Shabbir

SALAMUN ALAIKUM

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Arista,

You have some excellent points of observation.

19:15 Salamun = peace on

19:33 Wassalamun = and peace on

None of them brings As-Salam = "The Peace" which is a proper Name of Allah as in 59:23.

If we say Assalam, it would be grammatically incorrect.

Kindly avoid argumentation with your friends since the SHURA has decided that it is a trivial matter.
Wassalam,
SA
arista

SALAMUN ALAIKUM

Post by arista »

Salam,

Just have to know the answer.... It will increase my knowledge...

Thank you..
Arista
-------------------------------------

Then the answer is already there:

Dear Arista,

You have some excellent points of observation.

19:15 Salamun = peace on

19:33 Wassalamun = and peace on

None of them brings As-Salam = "The Peace" which is a proper Name of Allah as in 59:23.

If we say Assalam, it would be grammatically incorrect.

Kindly avoid argumentation with your friends since the SHURA has decided that it is a trivial matter.

-SA
Sidqi

SALAMUN ALAIKUM

Post by Sidqi »

Dr. Sahab. You are right.

In the entire arabic speaking world, The word used is "" Salam or Salam a lakum"".

""Assalam o Alakum"" is spoken in india pak only. May be just a cultural accent.

Sidqi.