BLOG 19 - Circumcision in Islam

Welcome to New and Improved Beacon Forum. Here all General Discussions and News items can be posted and discussed.
Dr. Shabbir

BLOG 19 - Circumcision in Islam

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Sir,

Your student, Melissa of Sydney, has referred me to you again. She had introduced me to your website a few months ago and I have almost digested it. I remain grateful to www.ourbeacon.com for educating me about Islam and many other things.

At 39 it feels a little late to begin learning about the most authentic divinely revealed principles of life. Question: I know that female circumcision is a non Islamic, tribal practice in some parts of the world. But I am facing a dilemma about myself. I was born with pseudo-haemophilia but the Islamic priests insist that I cannot become a Moslem unless I get circumcised. Melissa is confident that you will have a solution.

Thanking you in advance,
John Crooker.
Melbourne, Australia

Dear Mr Crooker, Greetings of peace and blessings!

Female circumcision is a highly traumatic and deplorable practice conducted by some tribes in Africa. It has nothing to do with any religion.

Circumcision of the male is a mandatory religious requirement in Judaism. It is not ordained in the Quran. However, it is a historical tradition among Muslims and it is done in infancy or early childhood.

The Covenant of Circumcision is mandated in the Bible (OT).
Genesis 17:14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.

Considering your situation when you are 39 and suffer from congenital pseudo-hemophilia (von Willebrand ds) in which people tend to bleed profusely with the slightest trauma, circumcision cannot be allowed to become an impediment in the blessed way to Islam. Just forget it and disregard the “Islamic priests”. Actually, circumcision will not be necessary for anyone choosing Islam since it is not ordained in the Book of God.

Learning: 39 is not at all late. In fact, it’s never too late.

My best regards to Melissa.

Shabbir Ahmed, M.D.
Wassalam,
SA