BLOG 16 - THE MAN OF A MOST SUBLIME CHARACTER-Part 2

Welcome to New and Improved Beacon Forum. Here all General Discussions and News items can be posted and discussed.
Dr. Shabbir

BLOG 16 - THE MAN OF A MOST SUBLIME CHARACTER-Part 2

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

A MAN OF THE MOST SUBLIME CHARACTER - Part 2

WHEN MUHAMMAD (S) IS COMMISSIONED, 4/16/610: It can be stated without exaggeration that April 16th, 610 CE was the most significant day in human history. He was still under 40 on that epoch making day of 25th Ramadhan, April 16th, 610 CE. On this day, the unseen Angel Gabriel came to the Prophet with the first Message from Allah. As soon as he shared his experience with his noble wife, Khadijah, she immediately accepted the Revelation. She said from her heart, "You are loyal to your family, truthful and trustworthy. You always help the poor and needy, take care of the widows and orphans, are hospitable to your guest and comfort the grieved. Allah will never let you be unsuccessful."

DETERMINATION: The enemies continued to pressure the Prophet’s Uncle*, Abu Talib, to stop supporting his nephew. One day Abu Talib said to Muhammad, “O my* nephew! Do not place a burden on your Uncle* that he cannot bear.” He respectfully answered, “My dear uncle!* Even if they place the sun on my right hand and the moon on the left, I will not quit my Mission. Either Allah will carry it to success or I will lay my life in the noble pursuit.” Abu Talib seeing his beloved nephew’s resolve said, “My dear son, you can go ahead with your job and I will grant you all my protection.”

TEMPTATION: When threats did not work, the opposing Qureshite leaders resorted to temptation. They said, “O Muhammad! We can lay treasures on your feet, get you married to the most beautiful woman in the country, make you our king; but stop delivering this Message.” The Prophet answered, “O Honorables! I have no interest in worldly gains. Let me live the life of an ordinary man. At no cost will I quit the Mission entrusted upon me by my Creator.”

HALEEMA & SHEEMA: According the customs of the times, Muhammad (S) was sent to be suckled and reared in the desert outside Makkah to become tough and eloquent. Hazrat Haleema Sa’dia suckled him for two years continued rearing him until he was six. She had a daughter Sheema, 7 years older than Muhammad. Sheema also took very good care of the little child. Later, even as the head of the State of Madinah, Muhammad (S) used to stand up in respect whenever he saw them, saying in loving emotions, “O My dear mother, O my dear sister!” He used to spread his blanket and pillow for them to relax on and treated them most generously.

MARTIAL GAMES: Later in Madinah, he used to fondly recall that in his childhood, he had learned swimming, horse-riding, and archery.

QAIS BIN SAAEB MAKHZOOMI: A long time business companion of Muhammad (S) states, “I know him better than you all as I have been his business companion. I have never seen a man as honest and trustworthy as him.”

IDOLS & ALTARS: Even as a child, Muhammad (S) avoided vain activities. He declined to eat any animal sacrificed on idol altars and he never bowed to an idol.

CLOSE EARLY FRIENDS: A small number of people in Makkah were known as “Hanifis” since they tried to follow the remnants of Prophet Ibrahim’s Deen-e-Hanif and shunned idol worship. Hanifi meant those who followed the straight path, did good to others and detested all vice. Among them were Abdus Shams (later, Abdullah) Abu Bakr, Hakeem bin Hazam, Dhamaad bin Sa’labah, Qais bin Saaeb, Mujahid bin Jubair, Usman bin Maz’oon, Zaid bin Umro, Abdullah bin Jahash. They were earnestly waiting for a prophet for guidance. All of these were Unitarians and had excellent character. There was much affinity among them and history does not record a single bitter incidence in their lives. Some Unitarians had died before Muhammad was commissioned as a prophet.

UMM JAMIL: Umm Jamil, the wife of Prophet Muhammad’s Uncle* Abi Lahab, used to spread thorny bushes on the doorstep of the Prophet. One morning, he found the doorstep clean. Instead of being happy, he became concerned and asked about her well-being. Upon learning that she was sick, he visited her house and inquired about her condition and any needs she might have.

UMM AIMON BARAKAH: She was a house-maid of the Prophet’s father, Abdullah. She was also the midwife of the Prophet’s mother, Amena bint Wahab (d 676). Muhammad never forgot her kindness and treated her as a mother throughout his life.

PATIENCE: Hazrat Abdullah ibn Abi Hamsa states that before Prophethood, he and Muhammad (S) were making a business deal. Abdullah promised to return in a short while, but forgot to do so. He remembered the promise after three days and came back. He was astonished to find Muhammad (S) waiting there. Abi Hamsa reports that Muhammad did not even frown. Seeing him embarrassed, he only said, “You inconvenienced me.”

MIGRATION - HIJRAH: Madinah is a town about 210 miles north of Makkah on the western coast of today's Saudi Arabia. The Prophet (S) had advised some Makkans to migrate to Ethiopia (615 CE) and later to Madinah. Ethiopia's Christian King Negus (Najashi) was a kind-hearted man. He saw the common grounds, sheltered Muslims and soon embraced Islam. During the past 12 plus years, some people of Madinah also had embraced Islam. The Muslims of Madinah had been inviting the exalted Prophet to move to their town. It was in the year 622 CE when Muhammad (S) made his move to Madinah. This was the most influential migration in history since it was to change the future of humanity. Traveling 210 miles on camel back usually took more than one week. The exalted Prophet rode to Madinah on camel back with Hazrat Abu Bakr as his companion. The people of Madinah welcomed the Prophet with great joy. Men, women and children all were extremely delighted. The Day of Hijrah or Migration marks the beginning of the Islamic calendar. The exalted Prophet brought peace to Madinah. He ended tribal warfare and signed peace treaties with the local tribes, the Jews and other groups. The previous name of this blessed township was Yathrib. From this point on, it came to be known as Madinah-tun-Nabi (Town of the Prophet).

THE STRENGTH OF CONVICTION – The Cave of Thaur: When the Prophet was migrating from Makkah to Madinah along with Hazrat Abu Bakr, their enemies were in hot pursuit and the two had to hide in a cave. When he heard the approaching enemy, Abu Bakr became worried. The Prophet (S) said, “Worry not, Allah is with us.” The enemies turned away without exploring the cave.

AN ORDINARY LABORER: When the Masjid Nabawi was being built in Madinah, the noble companions requested the Prophet (S) to take rest and supervise the construction. However, the Prophet (S) continuously worked with his companions like an ordinary laborer picking stones, bricks, and wood.

PRAGMATISM – The Laws of Nature: An infant son of the Prophet (S), Ibrahim, died in Madinah. Incidentally, a solar eclipse occurred the next day. People thought that even the heavens were mourning his death. Some unbelievers were so impressed that they rushed in to embrace Islam. Most people under the circumstances would have sought unfair advantage, but the exalted Prophet was not the one to exploit the situation. He said, “Solar and lunar eclipses happen according to the laws of nature. The eclipse has nothing to do with the death of my son.”

FORBEARANCE: The Prophet went to meet with a group of people and preach Islam. The infamous hypocrite Abdullah bin Ubbi rudely said, “Do not come to us to preach even the truth.” The young and strong companions became furious, but the exalted Prophet told them to calm down and not react. He then calmly turned back.

THE PATROLLING SOLDIER: Muslims were trying to settle in Madinah but they were surrounded by enemies. Whenever the danger was at its height, the Prophet himself used to patrol on his horse at nights, while the noble companions always wanted the honor.

NO RAIDS: The Prophet sent Hazrat Abdullah bin Jahash with 12 men on a reconnaissance mission near Makkah. They found a richly loaded Makkan caravan on the way. Hazrat Abdullah attacked the caravan and brought back with him many valuables. He thought that the Prophet (S) would be happy and applaud him for the feat, but instead, he scolded him for raiding peaceful citizens. He admonished that the days of Jahiliyyah (Age of Ignorance) were over when raids were one of the common means of becoming rich. Then he ordered Abdullah to return all “booty” right away.

DEFENSIVE BATTLES: Almost all battles between Muslims and the opposing Makkans took place close to Madinah, indicating that the enemy was always the aggressor. The only exception was the unexpected Battle of Hunain after the conquest of Makkah in 7 AH, when Muslims were ambushed by a tribe as they were peacefully returning home without shedding a drop of blood.

BADR, NATURAL RESOURCES REMAIN OPEN: The Makkans launched an attack on Madinah with heavily equipped 1,000 foot-soldiers, archers and 100 horsemen on 12 Ramadhan 2 AH. The Muslims were only an ill-equipped 313 with two horses. The armies met at Badr, 70 miles south of Madinah (140 miles north of Makkah). The Prophet made the defense plans according to the Qur’anic command of mutual consultation. The strategy required Muslims to secure the water wells before the enemy did. However, the Prophet announced to the Makkans that there would be no water-blockade and anyone could safely come through to fetch water. History is unable to provide a single example of such benevolence during war.

NO DISFIGUREMENT: Suhail bin Umro used to deliver fiery speeches against the Prophet. He was captured at the Battle of Badr. Some companions suggested that his frontal teeth be extracted in order to impair his speech but the exalted Prophet strongly forbade them saying, “I fear Allah’s law of requital.” He added that no person or dead body, not even an animal, would be disfigured after the advent of Islam.

ABOLITION OF SLAVERY: Seventy opponents were taken captive at the Battle of Badr and none of them was killed or enslaved. The rich ones paid ransom and the poor would be released by way of compassion. The educated among the captives would only teach 10 Muslims to read and write in order to attain freedom.

47:4 If you meet the disbelievers in battle, strike at their command centers, until you have subdued them, then, bind them firmly. And thereafter, there must be an act of kindness or ransom when the battle lays down its weapons. If God willed, He could punish them Himself, but that He may let you be tested by means of one another (as to which people remains vigilant.) As for those who are slain in the way of God, He does not render their actions vain.

[8]
Wassalam,
SA