Can There Be Such A Thing As A QURAN DEVOTED Com

Welcome to New and Improved Beacon Forum. Here all General Discussions and News items can be posted and discussed.
Damon

Post by Damon »

Dear Brothers and Sisters, Salaamun 'Alaikum,

This is a post that I read at the Free-Minds forum. I wish to make it clear that this Is Not my post but I read it and it got my Pondering Juices going. :)

The real purpose of me posting this here is to start a discussion and get everyone's opinion on this topic (that is a community with majority Quran Believers).

Here is the post. Enjoy..................

Peace,

Here's a little commentary I wrote today inspired by my observations of popular media. Enjoy. This is is just an editorial. Enjoy:

"I heard a show today on NPR about a Jewish man (it might have technically been an entire community of the synagogue there) offering thousands (probably millions when all is counted) of dollars to other Jewish families willing to relocate to an Alabama town in order to build the Jewish population up there. Why? Because since the early 1900's the Jewish businesses have been rolled over by chains like Walmart, hence signficantly eating way at the Jewish community that was "historically" settled in that area.

So, can converts apply? According to the program the answer to that question was an adamant no. I'm paraphrasing, but they only want people (Jewish people of course, if you didn't get that) who will contribute to the community. Racist? (Ok, Judaism is not a race but you get my point.) Of course! The story reminded me of the real position of Jews in our country (and probably more appropriately, our world). I guess we are supposed to sympathize and think this is a piece about the diversity of the United States, and the deep south even. But I got a very different impression.

The story basically served as an advertisement for what this Jewish community is trying to do, which is select "quality" people to come live in their community based on one European ethnicity (Yes, Ashkenazi Jews are a EUROPEAN ethnicity, and not Semitic) and offering them money to do it. Are Sephardic Jews welcome? If they are of European descent, they might get in, but if they are from non-European Jews, I'd doubt it. I guess we know the fate of those Jews whose parents may have converted and who don't look like Askhenazis, i.e. they don't look European enough. But in the end, this Alabama Jewish community has the right to do what it wants to do and the right to give its money away for whatever reasons its members feel is fit. And to whomever they'd like. Jewish or non-Jewish.

I guess my real question is when will the disadvantaged people of the world, and better yet Muslims, learn to do the same things. Do what? Support and encourage the growth of their own community.

So what are the lessons I learned from the piece? First lesson is, individuals or very small groups of people with lots of money move things in this world i.e. men of like minds and multiple dollar signs. I also learned that despite how much Jews, especially Jewish Americans, try to act like some poor minority (in a qualitative and monetary sense), for the most part they've got it goin' on. If you catch my drift. Lastly, I learned that I am high jealous and even envious -God forgive me! - of people like this; people who have a plan, who have money and who know what to do with it (atleast in a strictly worldly sense, which in the end won't hold too much weight if the the godly aspect is not there).

But to be honest, this really just wakes up the deep longing and desire in me to be part of a community just like this; to see the minority I belong to be able to collectively be pulled (maybe just one or a few masterminds will be doing the real pulling) out of the proverbial crab-basket we are in. And to see the majority I belong to, i.e. the Muslim community at large (or maybe just a few very powerful Muslim masterminds), unite to become a force in the world. Not a force for evil, or for heathenism, furthering archaic kingdoms, unjust and unQuranic iron fists or ruthless doggy-dog world attitudes; but a force for good, and most of all for God. A truly Quranic path would inspire within our community, and the leadership within, humility, justice for all, compassion for the people and respect for the rights of others. Laa Ikraaha fee deeni . . . Lakum deenukum wa liya deeni . . .right?

Whether something like this will happen is within the will of the Almighty, may he be forever praised and glorified. In the mean while, what shall we do? Or maybe the question is a compound one; What and when shall we do?"

Check out the story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102844596

Godbless,
Anwar.
Kate

Post by Kate »

Salaam all

I read this post with interest. I do see the attraction of trying to form a more close-knit N1I community. Since turning away from Christianity and becoming Muslim I have found that I miss the sense of community that I had as a church-going Roman Catholic. Although there is a mosque not far from where I live, to be honest I don't feel that comfortable there. The men tend to sport beards and the women seem to be in competition with each other in their efforts to display piety (whoops- hope I'm not being too judgemental here!) .

On the other hand, Islam for me means getting stuck in, getting my hands dirty with the poorest, the meanest,the most deprived in our society, not turning our backs on the world but getting out there and busying ourselves with making life better for those less fortunate than ourselves.

That said, we all need support at times and whilst I love coming to this site and reassuring myself that there are other Muslims in the world who think like I do, how I wish some of you lived a bit nearer!

Allah will guide us!

Kate
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Respected Sister Kate,

Your thoughts are so noble. My experience in any Masjid is no different than yours. However, I stand up and openly take the right stand. Surprisingly and invariably, the congregation appreciates my interjection and the khateeb/imam has to correct himself.

The Qur'an-oriented Muslims are indeed in minority. So, your observations apply to almost all Muslims except that in the currently miserable Pakistan you will find like-minded families around the corner everywhere.

UK is not a huge country and there are so many Ourbeacon brothers and sisters living there.
---------------------

Please also look at the resurrected forum:

THE OLD FORUM IS BACK ONLINE :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic Our Beacon Forum Index -> General Discussions and News
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dr. Shabbir
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 pm Post subject: THE OLD FORUM IS BACK ONLINE :-) Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster

Dear friends, Peace & Blessings!

Our expert has done the impossible!

Enjoy the nostalgia. The old forum has been revived. It saves posts as far back as May 9, 2002. It’s a warehouse of knowledge.

This Forum, as you know, is much more user friendly and lays itself conveniently open before your eyes. You may start using it now. Please know that page 2 is currently under process. Pages 3 and beyond are available to browse.

Here is the link:

http://www.ourbeacon.com/cgi-bin/bbs60x/webbbs_config.pl?

Congratulations!

Dr. Shabbir
SA
Damon

Post by Damon »

Salamun 'Alaikum Brothers and Sisters,

Dear Dr. Shabbir,

My experience in any Masjid is no different than yours. However, I stand up and openly take the right stand. Surprisingly and invariably, the congregation appreciates my interjection and the khateeb/imam has to correct himself.

I have a question to ask concerning this statement. What do you make of Quran Surah 9, verses 107 and 108? According to my understanding of these verses (and the QXP seems to be in accord with my understanding) we as believers who strive to uphold the Quranic Islam should avoid stepping foot in all N2I Masaajid as they are all sectarian.

والذين اتخذوا مسجدا ضرارا وكفرا وتفريقا بين المؤمنين وارصادا لمن حارب الله ورسوله من قبل وليحلفن ان اردنا الا الحسني والله يشهد انهم لكاذبون
9:107
(The hypocrites keep making schemes.) They built a Masjid out of mischief to promote disbelief and sectarianism among the believers, and as an outpost for those who made war against God and His Messenger before. They will surely swear, “We had but good intentions”, but God bears witness that they are liars.

لا تقم فيه ابدا لمسجد اسس علي التقوي من اول يوم احق ان تقوم فيه فيه رجال يحبون ان يتطهروا والله يحب المطهرين
9:108
You shall not stand in such a Masjid! (6:160). There is a Masjid whose foundation was laid from the first day on the Secure Way, it is more worthy that you stand therein. In it are men who love to be purified, and God loves those who keep clean of division and sectarianism.

Of course this may make it a bit more difficult to reach out to the followers of N2I. Do you think this could mean to focus on the non-muslims as they will not be found in the N2I Masaajid nor do they have the mental blockages that you will find in N2I followers?

Looking forward to yours and everyone elses input.

Salaam,
Damon.
Dr. Shabbir

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

Dear Damon,

Therefore I seldom go there and only with the intention of knowing what is happening and to try some reformation.
Wassalam,
SA
Fahad Khan

Post by Fahad Khan »

والذين اتخذوا مسجدا ضرارا وكفرا وتفريقا بين المؤمنين وارصادا لمن حارب الله ورسوله من قبل وليحلفن ان اردنا الا الحسني والله يشهد انهم لكاذبون
9:107
(The hypocrites keep making schemes.) They built a Masjid out of mischief to promote disbelief and sectarianism among the believers, and as an outpost for those who made war against God and His Messenger before. They will surely swear, “We had but good intentions”, but God bears witness that they are liars.

لا تقم فيه ابدا لمسجد اسس علي التقوي من اول يوم احق ان تقوم فيه فيه رجال يحبون ان يتطهروا والله يحب المطهرين
9:108
You shall not stand in such a Masjid! (6:160). There is a Masjid whose foundation was laid from the first day on the Secure Way, it is more worthy that you stand therein. In it are men who love to be purified, and God loves those who keep clean of division and sectarianism.

Of course this may make it a bit more difficult to reach out to the followers of N2I. Do you think this could mean to focus on the non-muslims as they will not be found in the N2I Masaajid nor do they have the mental blockages that you will find in N2I followers?

Looking forward to yours and everyone elses input.

Salaam,
Damon.

Salaam alaikum.

These verses do not speak about all "N2I" masaajid. All "N2I"s are not "terrorists".
matinbhagat

Post by matinbhagat »

Salamun Alaykum,

I agree with brother fahad khan. The verse is talking about people who build a mosque for evil purposes, i dunt believe muslims who follow hadeeths/traditions do this most of the time. In the mosques are recited Allah's name often and he is remembered. We may have mosques that are predominantly frequented by one language or racial group, that is natural especially when khutbah is in one language or people in that town are mainly from one race. But generally no one is barred from those mosques and people worship Allah there. Although they mix traditions with God's word at times, their aim is not to encourage disbelief nor fight against the messenger.

There are some mosques though, built on sectarian grounds. In SOME of these sectarian based mosques, people of other sects, if they visit, they may be frowned upon. So we could avoid those kind of mosques, but a great many mosques are open to any who seeks to enter and pray in peace. I personally do not believe there is anything wrong. I would also on this note like to post the following quranic verse. It shows we need to be tolerant of all places of worship and protect them, and also references mosques where Allah is remembered frequently. Just to mention, I have not visited a mosque where Allah is not frequently remembered, though I dunt deny there are mosques that may be focused on sectarian(hence, idolatrous) tendencies, but they are few and far between.

Sura 22 (Al-Hajj), Verse 40:

Those who are driven from their
homes without a just cause except that
they say: Our Lord is Allåh. And if
Allåh did not repel some people by
others, cloisters, and churches, and
synagogues, and mosques in which
Allåh’s name is much remembered,
would have been pulled down. And
surely Allåh will help him who helps
Him. Surely Allåh is Strong, Mighty

My Personal Reflection: This verse thus shows that God had not just revealed the fundamental human right of freedom of beliefs but also commanded muslims to protect this right for people of all faiths. Many western secular democracies have made this fundamental right a part of their constitution and thus, are following God's word. Ironically, religious freedom is being curtailed in many countries that call themselves "Islamic." Let us follow God's words and support religious freedom for all, not just for people of our own faiths. This will lead to a better, more peaceful world.

I would also like to point out that mental blockages exist for everyone; non-muslims, traditional muslims, quranic muslims..anyone. None of us are completely free of our backgrounds and culture. We should invite to Allah with kindness. He who wants to take heed, will take heed, he who does'nt want to..will ignore it. We are not to distinguish people when inviting to Allah. That is not our duty and is wrong. Allah asks us to invite all to his way without biase.

From Allah we come, Unto Allah is our ultimate return. Salamun Alaykum (Peace be upon you).
Inna lillahi,wa inna ilayhi ra'jiun
To God we belong,To Him is the return!