What Islam Is Not

Welcome to our new OurBeacon Forum!
Muhammad Rafi

What Islam Is Not

Post by Muhammad Rafi »

This is an extract from Irshad Manji's newsletter. She has been propogating her own vision of Islam based on the misplaced and wrong interpretation of Islam by the obscurantist Mullahs.I am not aware whether Beacon members have read Manji. She seems to be very influential in the West for the simple reason that her views can susbstantiate the Western misconception of Islam..........Needless to say that the prevailing (wrong) concepts have misguided her.Beacon memebrs are requested to write and tellher to read DR. Shabbir's books before deciding what Islam is.

Regards

Muhammad Rafi

Karachi

---------------------------

' Moderate Muslims fail to appreciate at least two realities. One: at a time when youth are constantly engaging their minds to navigate the ocean of information flowing through the Web, it’s humiliating to be told you can’t think for yourself. Two: in our era of mass migration, young Muslims have more questions than ever. I draw strength from the most common remark sent to me through my Web site these days—”Can we, as Muslims, marry non-Muslims?” A hot 21st-century issue, interfaith love is helping to drive a new school of Islamic jurisprudence that reinterprets theology for Muslim minorities in the multicultural West.

Reinterpretation will be painfully messy because it demands excising tribal tradition from the practice of Islam. It’s not just Salafis who confuse culture with faith. Seemingly integrated Muslims do, too. I remain amazed at how often Muslim-American students whisper to me what is, in fact, an open secret: that they can’t voice their support for progressive Islam because they would be accused of “dishonoring” their communities.

The shame-soaked culture of honor comes straight out of the desert. It predates Islam. Why should children of the First Amendment sacrifice their authenticity at the ancient altar of a non-Islamic, even un-Islamic, mindset?

Culture is emotional, and a critical mass of Arabs may feel deeply attached to the code of honor. But with equal emotional sincerity, non-Arab Muslims often resent this custom being foisted on them. Previously colonized by the Dutch, Indonesians detect Saudi cultural imperialism today. After one of my film screenings, Professor Hindun Annisa lectured to an auditorium of students that “when theologians talk about Islamic history, they’re really talking about Arab history.” The audience instantly understood. Their reaction gives me hope that a cultural shift away from honor is possible in the world’s largest Muslim nation.
Dr. Shabbir

What Islam Is Not

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

"Critical Thinkers for Islamic Reform: A Collection of Articles from Contemporary Thinkers on Islam"

Dear brother,

The book recommended by Arnold Yasin in the above post includes Irshad Manji as well as Dr. Shabbir.

Fortunately, the book says in the beginning that these 35 thinkers do not necessarily agree with each other.
Wassalam,
SA
sidqi

What Islam Is Not

Post by sidqi »

There are questions. Who decides right or wrong. why we are always right and others not. Does any human has this authority.

Human beings are not machines and every one tries to reach top of the mountain thru different paths. Every one's intention is good and ultimately God will decide rewards. People calling each other as wrong are interfering in divine authority. One has to do his best as per given senses and environment available for the betterment of his own life, other human beings and planet earth.

Perhaps this way, world will be a better place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AukjfRZ_hA&feature=related

Musharraf said this one right in his video clip.

" we converted few kafirs to islam, but declared more muslims as Kafirs.

Sidqi. c