121 Contradictions in the Bible - Shabir Ally

Be a part of our ongoing projects in Islamic and Arabic Research.
Dr. Shabbir

121 Contradictions in the Bible - Shabir Ally

Post by Dr. Shabbir »

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful
100+Plus Clear Contradictions in the Bible

John 8:32 And you shall know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH shall make you FREE.

Will they not then consider the Quraan with care? If it had been from other than Allah they would have found therein much discrepancy. (Al_Quraan_004:082)

1-GOD <--> 1-Religion <--> 1-Holy Book

Contradiction #1

Bible was only meant for the children of Israel, for that time.

It is mentioned in the Gospel of Mathew, Ch. No. 10, Verse No. 5 and 6, Jesus Christ peace be upon him tells his disciples... 'Go ye not in the way of the Gentiles.' Who are the Gentiles? The Non-Jews, the Hindus, the Muslims 'But rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.'

Jesus Christ peace be upon him said in the Gospel of Mathew, Ch. No. 15, Verse No. 24... 'I am not sent, but to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.' So Jesus Christ and the Bible, were only meant for the children of Isreal. Since it was meant for them, to analyze the Bible, you have to use the meaning of the word, which was utilized at that time.

But the Qur'an was not meant only for the Arabs of that time - Qur'an is not meant only for the Muslims. The Qur'an is meant for the whole of humanity, and it is meant to be for eternity. Qur'an says in Surah Ibrahim, Ch. 14, Verse. 52, in Surah Baqarah Ch. No. 2, Verse 185, and Surah Zumar Ch. 39, Verses. 41, that the Qur'an is meant for the whole of human kind. And Prophet Mohammed, may peace be upon him, was not sent only for the Muslims or the Arabs. Allah says in the Qur'an in Surah Ambiya Ch. No. 21, Verse No. 107-That 'We have send thee as a mercy, as a guidance, to the whole of humankind.'

Contradiction #2

The creation of the Earth and the Heaven - the universe was in six, 24-hour days. Light was then before the source of light –

In the beginning, 1st Book, Book of Genesis, 1st Ch., it is mentioned - It says... 'Almighty God created the Heavens and the Earth, in six days and talks about a evening and a morning, referring to a 24 - hour day. Today scientists tell us, that the universe cannot be created in a 24 hour period of six days. Qur'an too speaks about six 'ayyams'. The Arabic word singular is 'yaum' plural is 'ayyam'. It can either mean a day of 24 hours, or it is a very long period, an 'yaum', an epoch. Scientists say we have no objection in agreeing that the universe - it could have been created in 6 very long periods.

Contradiction #3

Light (Day) came into existence before creation of Earth.

Bible says in Genesis Ch. No. 1 Verses No. 3 and 5,...'Light was created on the first day.' Genesis, Ch., 1 Verses, 14 to 19... 'The cause of light - stars and the sun, etc. was created on the fourth day'. How can the cause of light be created on the 4th day - later than the light which came into existence on the first day? - It is unscientific. Further, the, Bible says Genesis, Ch. 1, Verses 9 to 13... 'Earth was created on the 3rd day. How can you have a night and day without the earth ? The day depends upon the rotation of the Earth Without the earth created, how can you have a night and day?

Contradiction #4

Earth came into existence before Sun.

Genesis, Ch. No. 1 Verses 9 to 13 says... 'Earth was created on the third day.' Genesis Ch. No. 1 Verses 14 to 19 says...'The Sun and the Moon were created on the fourth day.' Today science tells us... 'Earth is part of the parent body... the sun.' It cannot come into existence before the sun – It is unscientific.

Contradiction #5

Vegetation came into existence, before sunlight

The Bible says in Genesis, Ch. No.1, Verse No. 11 to 13...'The vegetation, the herbs the shrubs, the trees - they were created on the 3rd day And the Sun, Genesis, Ch. No. 1, Verses. 14 to 19, was created on the 4th day. How can the vegetation come into existence without sunlight, and how can they survive without sunlight ?

Contradiction #6

Light of the Moon is its own light.

That the Bible says in Genesis, Ch. 1, Verses No.16, that...'God created two lights the greater light, the Sun to rule the day, and the lesser light the Moon, to rule the night. The actual translation, if you go to the Hebrew text, it is 'lamps'...'Lamps having lights of its own.' And that you will come to know better, if you read both the Verses – Genesis, Ch. No.1, Verse. 16, as well as 17. Verse No.17 says...'And Almighty God placed them in the firmament, to give light to the earth... To give light to the earth.' Indicating, that Sun and the Moon has its own light - which is in contradiction with established scientific knowledge that we have. There are certain people who try and reconciliate, and say that the six days mentioned in the Bible, it actually refers to epocs - like the Qur'an long periods - not six, 24 hour day. It is illogical - you read in the Bible, evening, morning - It clearly states 24 hours, it indicates. But even if I use the concordance approach - no problem. I agree with your illogical argument - Yet they will only be able to solve the 1st scientific error of 6 days creation, and second, of first day 'light' and 3rd day 'earth.' The remaining four, yet they cannot solve. Some further say that... 'If it is a 24-hour period, why cannot the vegetables survive for one 24 hour day without sunlight?' I say 'Fine - If you say that the vegetables were created before the sun, and can survive for one 24-hour day, I have got no objection. But you cannot say the days mentioned are 24 hours as well as epochs - You cannot have the cake and eat it, both. If you say it is long period, you solve Point No.1 and 3, the remaining 4 are yet there. If you say the days are 24 hours day, you solve only Point No.5 - the remaining 5 are yet there - It becomes unscientific.

Contradiction #7

The earth - Will it perish or will it abide forever?

Regarding the concept of Earth, there are various Scientists who have described... 'How will the world end.' Hypothesis - Some may be right, some may be wrong. But either the world will perish or the world will live forever. Both cannot take place simultaneously – It is unscientific. But this is exactly what the Bible says. It is mentioned in the Bible, in the book of Hebrews, Ch. No.1 Verses No.10 and 11, and the book of Psalms, Ch. No.102, Verse No.25 and 26, that... 'Almighty God created the Heavens and the Earth, and they will perish.' Exactly opposite is mentioned in the book of Ecclesiastics, Ch. No.1, Verse No.4, and the book of Psalms, Ch. No.78, Verse No.69, that... 'The earth will abide forever.' One has to be unscientific - Both cannot take place. The world cannot abide forever as well as perish – It is unscientific.

Contradiction #8

The earth has got pillars. The heavens have got pillars.

Regarding 'the Heavens', the Bible says in Job, Ch. 26, Verse 11, that... 'The pillars of the Heaven will tremble.' Qur'an says in Surah Luqman, Ch. 31, Verse No.10, that...'The Heavens are without any pillars - Don`t you see? Don't you see the Heavens are without any pillars? - Bible says heaven have got pillars. Not only do the Heavens have got pillars - Bible says in the first book of Samuel, Ch. No.2 Verses No.8, as well as the book of Job Ch. No.9, Verse No.6, and the book of Psalms Ch. No.75, Verse No.3, that... 'Even the earth have got pillars.'

Contradiction #9

Diet and Nutrition: 'You can have all plants and all vegetation, including the poisonous plants?'

The Bible says in the book of Genesis, Ch. No.1, Verse No.29, that... 'God has given you all the herbs bearing seeds, the trees bearing fruits - those that bear seed, as meat for you.' New International Version says... 'The seed bearing plants, and the trees bearing fruits bearing seeds are food for you, all of them.' Today, even a layman knows that there are several poisonous plants like wild berries, stritchi, datura, plants containing alkaloid, polyander, bacaipoid - that which if you ingest, if you eat there are high possibilities you may die. How come the Creator of the universe and the human beings, does not know, that if you have these plants, you will die.

Contradiction #10

True Believer Test, The scientific test the falsification test, of Mark, Ch. No. 16, Verse No. 17 and 18.

The Bible has a scientific test how to identify a true believer. It is mentioned in the Gospel of Mark, Ch. No.16, Verse No.17 and 18 - It says that... 'There will be signs for true believers and among the signs - In my name they shall cast out devils, they shall speak foreign tongues, new tongues, they shall take up serpents - And if they drink deadly poison, they shall not be harmed - And when they place their hand over the sick, they shall be cured.' This is a scientific test - In scientific terminology, it is known as the 'confirmatory test' for a true Christian believer. In the past 10 years of my life, I have personally interacted with thousands of Christians, including missionaries - I have not come across a single Christian, who has passed this confirmatory test of the Bible. I have not come across a single Christian who took poison - I have not come across any who took poison, and who has not died. And in scientific terminology, this is also called as the 'falsification test' That means if a false person tries and does this test... takes poison, he will die. And a false person will not dare attempt this test - If you are not a true Christian believer, you will not dare attempt this test. Because you try and attempt the falsification test, you will fail. So a person who is not a true Christian believer, will never attempt this test.

Contradiction #11

Rainbow in the sky, as a promise to the human kind, never to submerge the world again by water.

What does the Bible say regarding 'Hydrology'? Bible says in Genesis, Ch. No.9, Verse No.13 to 17, that... 'After God, at the time of Noah submerged the world by flood, and after the flood' subsided, He said... 'I put up a rainbow in the sky as a promise to the humankind never to submerge the world again, by water. To the unscientific person it may be quite good... 'Oh rainbow is a sign of Almighty God, never to submerge the world by flood again.' But today we know very well, that rainbow is due to the refraction of sunlight, with rain or mist. Surely there must have been thousands of rainbows before the time of Noah, peace be upon him. To say it was not there before Noah's time you have to assume that the law of refraction did not exist - which is unscientific.'

Contradiction #12

Using Blood to Disinfect the House, against plague of leprosy.

In the field of medicine, the Bible says in the book of Leveticus, Ch. No.14, Verse No.49 to 53 - it gives a novel way for disinfecting a house from plague of leprosy... disinfecting a house from plague of leprosy. It says that... 'Take two birds, kill one bird, take wood, scale it - and the other living bird, dip it in water... and under running water - later on sprinkle the house 7 times with it.

Sprinkle the house with blood to disinfect against plague of leprosy? You know blood is a good media of germs, bacteria, as well as toxin - You do not use this method of disinfecting the OT, the operation theatre.

Contradiction #13

A woman remains unclean for double the period, if she gives birth to a daughter, as compared to a son.

It is mentioned in the book of Leveticus, Ch. No.12, Verse No.1 to 5, and we know medically, that after a mother gives birth to a child, the post-partal period, it is unhygienic. To say it is 'unclean', Religiously - I have got no objection. But Leviticus, Ch. No.12 Verse No.1 to 5, says that... 'After a woman gives birth to a male child, she will be unclean for 7 days, and the period of uncleanliness will continue for 33 days more. It she give birth to a female child, she will be unclean for two weeks, and the period of uncleanliness will continue for 66 days. In short, if a woman gives birth to a male child... 'a son', she is unclean for 40 days. If she gives birth to a female child... 'a daughter', she is unclean for 80 days. How come a woman remains unclean for double the period, if she gives birth to a female child, as compared to a male child.

Contradiction #14

Bitter water test for adultery?

The Bible also has a very good test for adultery - How to come to know a woman has committed adultery, in the book of Numbers, Ch. no.5 Verse No..11 to 31. I'll just say in brief. It says that... 'The priest should take holy water in a vessel, take dust from the floor, and put it into the vessel - And that is the bitter water 'And after cursing it, give it to the woman And if the woman has committed adultery, after she drinks it, the curse will enter her body, the stomach will swell, the thigh will rot, and she shall be cursed by the people. If the woman has not committed adultery, she will remain clean and she will bear the seed. A novel method of identifying whether a woman has committed adultery or not. You know today in the world, there are thousands of cases pending in different parts of the world, in different courts of law - only on the assumption that someone has alleged that a woman has committed adultery. I had read in the newspapers, and I came to know from the media, that the President of this great country Mr. Bill Clinton, he was involved in a sex scandal. I wonder, that why did not the American court use this 'bitter water test' for adultery? He would have gone scot-free immediately. Why did not the Christian missionaries of this great country, specially those who are in the medical field, use this bitter water test to bail out their President, immediately.

Contradiction #15

Eighteen different contradictions in less than 60 Verses of Ezra, Ch. 2, and Nehemiah, Ch. 7. I did not count them as 18 different - I counted them only as one.

'Mathematics' is a branch, which is closely associated with science, with which you can solve problems, etc. There are thousands of contradictions in the Bible - hundreds deal with mathematics, and I'll first touch on few of them.

It is mentioned in Ezra, Ch. No.2, Verse No.1, and Nehemiah, Ch. No.7, Verse No.6, the context that... 'When the people returned from exile, from Babylon, when king Nebucheldeser of Babylon, when he released the men from Israel, they came back from captivity' - and the list of the people are given. The list is given in Ezra, Ch. No.2, Verse No.2 to 63, and Nehemiah Ch. No.7, Verse No.7 up to 65; the list is given with the names as well as number of people released.

In these 60 Verses there are no less than 18 times - the name is exactly the same but the number is different.

There are no less than 18 contradictions in less than 60 Verses, of these two Chapters. This is the list - I don't have time to run through the list –

Contradiction #16

The total is different is both the chapters.

Further it is mentioned in Ezra, Ch. No.2 Verse No.64 that... 'The total congregation, if you add up... if you add up, it comes to 42,360.' And if you read in Nehemiah, Ch. No.7, Verse No.66, there also the total is the same 42,360. But if you add up all these verses - which I had to do my homework - this is the list of Ezra... this is the list of Nehemiah. Ezra Ch. No 2, Nehemiah Ch. No 7 - If you add up - I had to do my homework...if you add up, Ezra Ch. No. 2 - It does not come to 42,360 - it comes to 29,818. And if you add up Nehemiah, Ch. No. 7, even then it does not come to 42,360 - It comes to 31,089. The author of the Bible, presumed to be 'Almighty God', does not know simple addition. If you give this problem, even to a person who has passed elementary school, he will be able to get the right answer. If you add up all the 60 Verses, it is so easy. Almighty God did not know adding – Nauzubillah... if we presume, that this is the word of God.

Contradiction #17

Are there 200 singing men and women, or are there 245 singing men and women?

Further if we read, in Ezra Ch. No. 2, Verse No. 65, it says...There were 200 singing men and women - Nehemiah Ch. No. 7, Verse No. 67...'There were 245 singing men and women.' Were they 200 - or were they 245 singing men and women? Context is the same - A mathematical contradiction.

Contradiction #18

Was Jehoiachin 18 years old, or was he 8 years old when he began to reign? Did he reign for 3 months, or 3 months 10 days.

It is mentioned in the 2nd Kings, Ch. No 24, Verse No 8, that...'Jehoiachin was 18 years old, when he began to reign Jerusalem, and he reigned for 3 months and 10 days. 2nd Chronicles, Ch. No 36, Verse No 9, says that...'Jehoiachin was 8 years old when he began to reign and he reigned for 3 months, 10 days. Was Jehoiachin 18 years when he began to reign, or was he 8 years old? Did he reign for 3 months, or did he reign for 3 months 10 days?

Contradiction #19

Did Solomon had 3000 baths, or 2000 baths?

Further it is mentioned in the 1st Kings, Ch. No 7, Verse No 26, that...'In Solomon's temple, in his molten sea, he had 2000 baths. In 2nd Chronicles, Ch. No 4, Verse No 5, he had 3000 baths. Did he have 2000 baths or did he have 3000 baths? There is a clear-cut mathematical contradiction.

Contradiction #20

Is that Basha, how could he invade Judah, 10 years after his death?

Further more it is mentioned in the First Kings, Ch. No. 15, Verse No. 33, that... 'Basha, he died in the 26th year of reign of Asa.' And 2nd Chronicles Ch. No 16, Verse No 1, says that...'Basha invaded Judah in the 36th years of the reign of Asa.' How can Basha invade 10 years after his death? - It is unscientific.

I have listed only few, out of the hundreds available unscientific points in the Bible... scientific errors - And I request you to answer them. And irrespective whether you use the 'concordance approach' or the 'conflict approach'... as long as you are logical, you will never be able to prove scientifically, all these aspects I have told him. We agree in Jesus Christ peace be upon him - to him was revealed the Injeel. This is not the Injeel - It may contain part of God's word - But the other unscientific portion is not the word of God. I would like to end my talk by giving the quotation of the Glorious Qur'an, from Surah Baqarah, Ch. No. 2, Verse 79 .... (Arabic).... 'Woe to those who write the book with their own hands, and then say this is from Allah, to traffic with it for a miserable price. Woe to those for what they write, woe to those for what they earn.' Wa Aakim Dawana Anil Hamdulillahi Rabbil Aalameen.

According to your theory of probability, Bible is not the word of God. Irrespective whether you use the 'conflict approach' or the 'concordance approach' , if you are logical, you will not be able to take out a single Verse of the Qur'an, which is contradicting - Neither a single Verse which is against the established science. If you cannot understand the Qur'an - That does not mean, Qur'an is wrong.

Contradiction #21

Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel?

(a) God did (2 Samuel 24:1)

(b) Satan did (1 Chronicles 21:1).

Contradiction #22

In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel?

(a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9).

(b) One million, one hundred thousand (1 Chronicles 21:5).

Contradiction #23

How many fighting men were found in Judah?

(a) Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9).

(b) Four hundred and seventy thousand (1 Chronicles 21:5).

Contradiction #24

God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine?

(a) Seven (2 Samuel 24:13).

(b) Three (1 Chronicles 21:12).

Contradiction #25

How old was Ahaziah when he began to rule over Jerusalem?

(a) Twenty-two (2 Kings 8:26).

(b) Forty-two (2 Chronicles 22:2).

Contradiction #26

How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem?

(a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8).

(b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9).

Contradiction #27

How long did he rule over Jerusalem?

(a) Three months (2 Kings 24:8).

(b) Three months and ten days (2 Chronicles 36:9).

Contradiction #28

The chief of the mighty men of David lifted up his spear and killed how many men at one time?

(a) Eight hundred (2 Samuel 23:8).

(b) Three hundred (1 Chronicles 11:11).

Contradiction #29

When did David bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem?

Before defeating the Philistines or after?

(a) After (2 Samuel 5 and 6).

(b) Before (1 Chronicles 13 and 14).

Contradiction #30

How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark?

(a) Two (Genesis 6:19, 20).

(b) Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8, 9).

Contradiction #31

When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture?

(a) One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4).

(b) Seven thousand (1 Chronicles 18:4).

Contradiction #32

How many stalls for horses did Solomon have?

(a) Forty thousand (1 Kings 4:26).

(b) Four thousand (2 chronicles 9:25).

Contradiction #33

In what year of King Asa's reign did Baasha, King of Israel die?

(a) Twenty-sixth year (1 Kings 15:33 - 16:8).

(b) Still alive in the thirty-sixth year (2 Chronicles 16:1).

Contradiction #34

How many overseers did Solomon appoint for the work of building the temple?

(a) Three thousand six hundred (2 Chronicles 2:2)

(b) Three thousand three hundred (1 Kings 5:16).

Contradiction #35

Solomon built a facility containing how many baths?

(a) Two thousand (1 Kings 7:26).

(b) Over three thousand (2 Chronicles 4:5).

Contradiction #36

Of the Israelites who were freed from the Babylonian captivity, how many were the children of Pahrath-Moab?

(a) Two thousand eight hundred and twelve (Ezra 2:6).

(b) Two thousand eight hundred and eighteen (Nehemiah 7:11).

Contradiction #37

How many were the children of Zattu?

(a) Nine hundred and forty-five (Ezra 2:8)

(b) Eight hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:13).

Contradiction #38

How many were the children of Azgad?

(a) One thousand two hundred and twenty-two (Ezra 2:12).

(b) Two thousand three hundred and twenty-two (Nehemiah 7:17).

Contradiction #39

How many were the children of Adin?

(a) Four hundred and fifty-four (Ezra 2:15).

(b) Six hundred and fifty-five (Nehemiah 7:20).

Contradiction #40

How many were the children of Hashum?

(a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:19).

(b) Three hundred and twenty-eight (Nehemiah 7:22).

Contradiction #41

How many were the children of Bethel and Ai?

(a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:28).

(b) One hundred and twenty-three (Nehemiah 7:32).

Contradiction #42

Ezra 2:64 and Nehemiah 7:66 agree that the total number of the whole assembly was 42,360. Yet the numbers do not add up to anything close.
The totals obtained from each book is as follows:

(a) 29,818 (Ezra).

(b) 31, 089 (Nehemiah).

Contradiction #43

How many singers accompanied the assembly?

(a) Two hundred (Ezra 2:65).

(b) Two hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:67).

Contradiction #44

What was the name of King Abijah's mother?

(a) Michaiah, daughter of Uriel of Gibeah (2 Chronicles 13:2).

(b) Maachah, daughter of Absalom (2 Chronicles 11:20). But Absalom had only one daughter whose name was Tamar (2 Samuel 14:27).

Contradiction #45

Did Joshua and the Israelites capture Jerusalem?

(a) Yes (Joshua 10:23, 40).

(b) No (Joshua 15:63).

Contradiction #46

Who was the father of Joseph, husband of Mary?

(a) Jacob (Matthew 1:16).

(b) Heli (Luke 3:23).

Contradiction #47

Jesus descended from which son of David?

(a) Solomon (Matthew 1:6).

(b) Nathan (Luke 3:31).

Contradiction #48

Who was the father of Shealtiel?

(a) Jechoniah (Matthew 1:12).

(b) Neri (Luke 3:27).

Contradiction #49

Which son of Zerubbabel was an ancestor of Jesus Christ?

(a) Abiud (Matthew 1:13).

(b) Rhesa (Luke 3:27). But the seven sons of Zerubbabel are as follows: i. Meshullam, ii. Hananiah, iii. Hashubah, iv. Ohel, v. Berechiah, vi. Hasadiah, viii. Jushabhesed (1 Chronicles 3:19, 20). The names Abiud and Rhesa do not fit in anywhere.

Contradiction #50

Who was the father of Uzziah?

(a) Joram (Matthew 1:8).

(b) Amaziah (2 Chronicles 26:1).

Contradiction #51

Who as the father of Jechoniah?

(a) Josiah (Matthew 1:11).

(b) Jehoiakim (1 Chronicles 3:16).

Contradiction #52

How many generations were there from the Babylonian exile until Christ?

(a) Matthew says fourteen (Matthew 1:17).

(b) But a careful count of the generations reveals only thirteen (see Matthew 1:12-16).

Contradiction #53

Who was the father of Shelah?

(a) Cainan (Luke 3:35-36).

(b) Arphaxad (Genesis 11:12).

Contradiction #54

Was John the Baptist Elijah who was to come?

(a) Yes (Matthew 11:14, 17:10-13).

(b) No (John 1:19-21).

Contradiction #55

Would Jesus inherit David's throne?

(a) Yes. So said the angel (Luke 1:32).

(b) No, since he is a descendant of Jehoiakim (see Matthew 1:11, 1 Chronicles 3:16). And Jehoiakim was cursed by God so that none of his descendants can sit upon David's throne (Jeremiah 36:30).

Contradiction #56

Jesus rode into Jerusalem on how many animals?

(a) One - a colt (Mark 11:7; cf. Luke 19:35). And they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their garments on it; and he sat upon it."

(b) Two - a colt and an ass (Matthew 21:7). They brought the ass and the colt and put their garments on them and he sat thereon."

Contradiction #57

How did Simon Peter find out that Jesus was the Christ?

(a) By a revelation from heaven (Matthew16:17).

(b) His brother Andrew told him (John 1:41).

Contradiction #58

Where did Jesus first meet Simon Peter and Andrew?

(a) By the sea of Galilee (Matthew 4:18-22).

(b) On the banks of river Jordan (John 1:42). After that, Jesus decided to go to Galilee (John 1:43).

Contradiction #59

When Jesus met Jairus was Jairus' daughter already dead?

(a) Yes. Matthew 9:18 quotes him as saying, "My daughter has just died."

(b) No. Mark 5:23 quotes him as saying, "My little daughter is at the point of death."

Contradiction #60

Did Jesus allow his disciples to keep a staff on their journey?

(a) Yes (Mark 6:8).

(b) No (Matthew 10:9; Luke 9:3).

Contradiction #61

Did Herod think that Jesus was John the baptist?

(a) Yes (Matthew 14:2; Mark 6:16).

(b) No (Luke 9:9)

Contradiction #62

Did John the Baptist recognise Jesus before his baptism?

(a) Yes (Matthew 3:13-14).

(b) No (John 1:32, 33).

Contradiction #63

Did John the Baptist recognise Jesus after his baptism?

(a) Yes (John 1:32, 33).

(b) No (Matthew 11:2).

Contradiction #64

According to the Gospel of John, what did Jesus say about bearing his own witness?

(a) "If I bear witness to myself, my testimony is not true"(John 5:31).

(b) "Even if I do bear witness to myself, my testimony is true" (John 8:14).

Contradiction #65

When Jesus entered Jerusalem did he cleanse the temple that same day?

(a) Yes (Matthew 21:12).

(b) No. He went into the temple and looked around, but since it was very late he did nothing. Instead, he went to Bethany to spend the night and returned the next morning to cleanse the temple (Mark 11:1-17).

Contradiction #66

The Gospels say that Jesus cursed a fig tree. Did the tree wither at once?

(a) Yes. (Matthew 21:19).

(b) No. It withered overnight (Mark 11:20).

Contradiction #67

Did Judas kiss Jesus?

(a) Yes (Matthew 26:48-50).

(b) No. Judas could not get close enough to Jesus to kiss him (John 18:3-12).

Contradiction #68

What did Jesus say about Peter's denial?

(a) "The cock will not crow till you have denied me three times" (John 13:38).

(b) "Before the cock crows twice you will deny me three times" (Mark 14:30). When the cock crowed once, the three denials were not yet complete (see Mark 14:72). Therefore prediction (a) failed.

Contradiction #69

Did Jesus bear his own cross?

(a) Yes (John 19:17).

(b) No (Matthew 27:31-32).

Contradiction #70

Did Jesus die before the curtain of the temple was torn?

(a) Yes (Matthew 27:50-51; Mark 15:37-38).

(b) No. After the curtain was torn, then Jesus crying with a loud voice, said, "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!" And having said this he breathed his last (Luke 23:45-46).

Contradiction #71

Did Jesus say anything secretly?

(a) No. "I have said nothing secretly" (John 18:20).

(b) Yes. "He did not speak to them without a parable, but privately
to his own disciples he explained everything" (Mark 4:34).
The disciples asked him "Why do you speak to them in parables?"
He said, "To you it has been given to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given" (Matthew 13:10-11).

Contradiction #72

Where was Jesus at the sixth hour on the day of the crucifixion?

(a) On the cross (Mark 15:23).

(b) In Pilate's court (John 19:14).

Contradiction #73

The gospels say that two thieves were crucified along with Jesus. Did both thieves mock Jesus?

(a) Yes (Mark 15:32).

(b) No. One of them mocked Jesus, the other defended
Jesus (Luke 23:43).

Contradiction #74

Did Jesus ascend to Paradise the same day of the crucifixion?

(a) Yes. He said to the thief who defended him, "Today you will be with me in Paradise" (Luke 23:43).

(b) No. He said to Mary Magdelene two days later, "I have not yet ascended to the Father" (John 20:17).

Contradiction #75

When Paul was on the road to Damascus he saw a light and heard a voice. Did those who were with him hear the voice?

(a) Yes (Acts 9:7).

(b) No (Acts 22:9).

Contradiction #76

When Paul saw the light he fell to the ground. Did his traveling companions also fall to the ground?

(a) Yes (Acts 26:14).

(b) No (Acts 9:7).

Contradiction #77

Did the voice spell out on the spot what Paul's duties were to be?

(a) Yes (Acts 26:16-18).

(b) No. The voice commanded Paul to go into the city of Damascus and
there he will be told what he must do. (Acts 9:7; 22:10).

Contradiction #78

When the Israelites dwelt in Shittin they committed adultery with the
daughters of Moab. God struck them with a plague. How many people
died in that plague?

(a) Twenty-four thousand (Numbers 25:1 and 9).

(b) Twenty-three thousand (1 Corinthians 10:8).

Contradiction #79

How many members of the house of Jacob came to Egypt?

(a) Seventy souls (Genesis 46:27).

(b) Seventy-five souls (Acts 7:14).

Contradiction #80

What did Judas do with the blood money he received for betraying Jesus?

(a) He bought a field (Acts 1:18).

(b) He threw all of it into the temple and went away. The priests could not put the blood money into the temple treasury, so they used it to buy a field to bury strangers (Matthew 27:5).

Contradiction #81

How did Judas die?

(a) After he threw the money into the temple he went away and hanged himself (Matthew 27:5).

(b) After he bought the field with the price of his evil deed he fell headlong and burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out (Acts 1:18).

Contradiction #82

Why is the field called "Field of Blood"?

(a) Because the priests bought it with the blood money (Matthew 27:8).

(b) Because of the bloody death of Judas therein (Acts 1:19).

Contradiction #83

Who is a ransom for whom?

(a) "The Son of Man came . . . to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). " . . . Christ Jesus who gave himself as a ransom
for all . . . " (1 Timothy 2:5-6).

(b) "The wicked is a ransom for the righteous, and the faithless for the upright" (Proverbs 21:18).

Contradiction #84

Is the law of Moses useful?

(a) Yes. "All scripture is . . . profitable . . ." (2 Timothy 3:16).

(b) No. ". . . A former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness . . . " (Hebrews 7:18).

Contradiction #85

What was the exact wording on the cross?

(a) "This is Jesus the King of the Jews" (Matthew 27:37).

(b) "The King of the Jews" (Mark 15:26)

(c) "This is the King of the Jews" (Luke 23:38).

(d) "Jesus of Nazareth, the King of the Jews" (John 19:19).

Contradiction #86

Did Herod want to kill John the baptist?

(a) Yes (Matthew 14:5).

(b) No. It was Herodias, the wife of Herod who wanted to kill him. But Herod knew that he was a righteous man and kept him safe (Mark 6:20).

Contradiction #87

Who was the tenth disciple of Jesus in the list of twelve?

(a) Thaddaeus (Matthew 10:1-4; Mark 3:13-19).

(b) Judas son of James is the corresponding name in Luke's gospel (Luke 6:12-16).

Contradiction #88

Jesus saw a man sitting at the tax collector's office and called him to be his disciple. What was his name?

(a) Matthew (Matthew 9:9).

(b) Levi (Mark 2:14; Luke 5:27).

Contradiction #89

Was Jesus crucified on the daytime before the Passover meal or the daytime after?

(a) After (Mark 14:12-17).

(b) Before. Before the feast of the Passover (John 13:1) Judas went out at night (John 13:30). The other disciples thought he was going out to buy supplies to prepare for the Passover meal (John 13:29). When Jesus was arrested, the Jews did not enter Pilate's judgement hall because they wanted to stay clean to eat the passover (John 18:28). When the judgement was pronounced
against Jesus, it was about the sixth hour on the day of Preparation for the Passover (John 19:14).

Contradiction #90

Did Jesus pray to The Father to prevent the crucifixion?

(a) Yes. (Matthew 26:39; Mark 14:36; Luke 22:42).

(b) No. (John 12:27).

Contradiction #91

In the gospels which say that Jesus prayed to avoid the cross, how many times did he move away from his disciples to pray?

(a) Three (Matthew 26:36-46 and Mark 14:32-42).

(b) One. No opening is left for another two times. (Luke 22:39-46).

Contradiction #92

Matthew and Mark agree that Jesus went away and prayed three times. What were the words of the second prayer?

(a) Mark does not give the words but he says that the words were the same as the first prayer (Mark 14:39).

(b) Matthew gives us the words, and we can see that they are not the same as in the first (Matthew 26:42).

Contradiction #93

What did the centurion say when Jesus dies?

(a) "Certainly this man was innocent" (Luke 23:47).

(b) "Truly this man was the Son of God" (Mark 15:39).

Contradiction #94

When Jesus said "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" in what language did he speak?

(a) Hebrew: the words are "Eli, Eli . . . " (Matthew 27:46).

(b) Aramaic: the words are "Eloi, Eloi . . . " (Mark 15:34).

Contradiction #95

According to the gospels, what were the last words of Jesus before he died?

(a) "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!" (Luke 23:46).

(b) "It is finished" (John 19:30).

Contradiction #96

When Jesus entered Capernaum he healed the slave of a centurion. Did the centurion come personally to request Jesus for this?

(a) Yes (Matthew 8:5).

(b) No. He sent some elders of the Jews and his friends (Luke 7:3, 6).

Contradiction #97

Which one is true?

(a) Adam was told that if and when he eats the forbidden fruit he would die the same day (Genesis 2:17).

(b) Adam ate the fruit and went on to live to a ripe old age
of 930 years (Genesis 5:5).

Contradiction #98

Which one is true?

(a) God decided that the life-span of humans will be limited to 120 years (Genesis 6:3).

(b) Many people born after that lived longer than 120. Arpachshad lived 438 years. His son Shelah lived 433 years. His son Eber lived 464 years, etc. (Genesis 11:12-16).

Contradiction #99

Apart from Jesus did anyone else ascend to heaven?

(a) No (John 3:13).

(b) Yes. "And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven"
(2 Kings 2:11).

Contradiction #100

Who was high priest when David went into the house of God and ate the consecrated bread?

(a) Abiathar (Mark 2:26).

(b) Ahimelech, the father of Abiathar (1 Samuel 21:1; 22:20).

Contradiction #101

Was Jesus' body wrapped in spices before burial in accordance with Jewish burial customs?

(a) Yes and his female disciples witnessed his burial (John 19:39-40).

(b) No. Jesus was simply wrapped in a linen shroud. Then the women bought and prepared spices "so that they may go and anoint him [Jesus]" (Mark 16:1).

Contradiction #102

When did the women buy the spices?

(a) After "the sabbath was past" (Mark 16:1).

(b) Before the sabbath. The women "prepared spices and ointments."
Then, "on the Sabbath they rested according to the commandment" (Luke 23:55 to 24:1).

Contradiction #103

At what time of day did the women visit the tomb?

(a) "Toward the dawn" (Matthew 28:1).

(b) "When the sun had risen" (Mark 16:2).

Contradiction #104

What was the purpose for which the women went to the tomb?

(a) To anoint Jesus' body with spices (Mark 16:1;Luke 23:55 to 24:1).

(b) To see the tomb. Nothing about spices here (Matthew 28:1).

(c) For no specified reason. In this gospel the wrapping with spices had been done before the sabbath (John 20:1).

Contradiction #105

A large stone was placed at the entrance of the tomb. Where was the stone when the women arrived?

(a) They saw that the stone was "Rolled back" (Mark 16:4). They found the stone "rolled away from the tomb" (Luke 24:2). They saw that "the stone had been taken away from the tomb" (John 20:1)

(b) As the women approached, an angel descended from heaven, rolled away the stone, and conversed with the women. Matthew made the women witness the spectacular rolling away of the stone (Matthew 28:1-6).

Contradiction #106

Did anyone tell the women what happened to Jesus' body?

(a) Yes. "A young man in a white robe" (Mark 16:5). "Two men . . . in dazzling apparel" later described as angels (Luke 24:4 and 24:23). An angel - the one who rolled back the stone (Matthew 16:2). In each case the women were told that Jesus had risen from the dead (Matthew 28:7; Mark 16:6; Luke 24:5 footnote).

(b) No. Mary met no one and returned saying, "They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him" (John 20:2).

Contradiction #107

When did Mary Magdelene first meet the resurrected Jesus? And how
did she react?

(a) Mary and the other women met Jesus on their way back from their first and only visit to the tomb. They took hold of his feet and worshipped him (Matthew 28:9).

(b) On her second visit to the tomb Mary met Jesus just outside the tomb. When she saw Jesus she did not recognise him. She mistook him for the gardener. She still thinks that Jesus' body is laid to rest somewhere and she demands to know where. But when Jesus said her name she at once recognised him and called him "Teacher." Jesus said to her, "Do not hold me . . . " (John 20:11 to 17).

Contradiction #108

What was Jesus' instruction for his disciples?

(a) "Tell my brethren to go to Galilee, and there they will see me" (Matthew 28:10).

(b) "Go to my brethren and say to them, I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God" (John 20:17).

Contradiction #109

When did the disciples return to Galilee?

(a) Immediately, because when they saw Jesus in Galilee "some doubted" (Matthew 28:17). This period of uncertainty should not persist.

(b) After at least 40 days. That evening the disciples were still in Jerusalem (Luke 24:33). Jesus appeared to them there and told them, "stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high" (Luke 24:49). He was appearing to them "during forty days" (Acts 1:3), and "charged them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise . . . "(Acts 1:4).

Contradiction #110

To whom did the Midianites sell Joseph?

(a) "To the Ishmaelites" (Genesis 37:28).

(b) "To Potiphar, an officer of Pharoah" (Genesis 37:36).

Contradiction #111

Who brought Joseph to Egypt?

(a) The Ishmaelites bought Joseph and then "took Joseph to Egypt" (Genesis 37:28).

(b) "The Midianites had sold him in Egypt" (Genesis 37:36).

(c) Joseph said to his brothers "I am your brother, Joseph, whom you sold into Egypt" (Genesis 45:4).

Contradiction #112

Does God change his mind?

(a) Yes. The word of the Lord came to Samuel: "I repent that I have made Saul King . . ." (1 Samuel 15:10 to 11).

(b) No. God "will not lie or repent; for he is not a man, that he should repent" (1 Samuel 15:29).

(c) Yes. "And the Lord repented that he had made Saul King over Israel" (1 Samuel 15:35). Notice that the above three quotes are all from the same chapter of the same book! In addition, the Bible shows that God repented on several other occasions:

i. The Lord was sorry that he made man" (Genesis 6:6). I am sorry that I have made them" (Genesis 6:7)

ii."And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people" (Exodus 32:14)

iii.(Lots of other such references).

Contradiction #113

The Bible says that for each miracle Moses and Aaron demonstrated the same by their secret arts. Then comes the following feat:

(a) Moses and Aaron converted all the available water into blood (Exodus 7:20-21).

(b) The magicians did the same (Exodus 7:22). This is impossible, since there would have been no water left to convert into blood.

Contradiction #114

Who killed Goliath?

(a) David (1 Samuel 17:23, 50).

(b) Elhanan (2 Samuel 21:19).

Contradiction #115

Who killed Saul?

(a) "Saul took his own sword and fell upon it. . . . Thus Saul died... (1 Samuel 31:4-6).

(b) An Amalekite slew him (2 Samuel 1:1-16).

Contradiction #116

Does every man sin?

(a) Yes. "There is no man who does not sin" (1 Kings 8:46; see also 2 Chronicles 6:36; Proverbs 20:9; Ecclesiastes 7:20; and 1 John 1:8-10).

(b) No. True Christians cannot possibly sin, because they are the children of God. Every one who believes that Jesus is the Christ is a child of God . . (1 John 5:1). "We should be called children of God; and so we are" (1 John 3:1). "He who loves is born of God" (1 John 4:7). "No one born of God commits sin; for God's nature abides in him, and he cannot sin because he is born of God" (1 John 3:9).

(c) But, then again, Yes! "If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8).

Contradiction #117

Who will bear whose burden?

(a) "Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2).

(b) "Each man will have to bear his own load" (Galatians 6:5).

Contradiction #118

How many disciples did Jesus appear to after his resurrection?

(a) Twelve (1 Corinthians 15:5).

(b) Eleven (Matthew 27:3-5 and Acts 1:9-26, see also Matthew 28:16; Mark 16:14 footnote; Luke 24:9; Luke 24:33).

Contradiction #119

Where was Jesus three days after his baptism?

(a) After his baptism, "the spirit immediately drove him out into the
wilderness. And he was in the wilderness forty days ... (Mark 1:12-13).

(b) Next day after the baptism, Jesus selected two disciples. Second day: Jesus went to Galilee — two more disciples. Third day: Jesus was at a wedding feast in Cana in Galilee (see John 1:35; 1:43; 2:1-11).

Contradiction #120

Was baby Jesus's life threatened in Jerusalem?

(a) Yes, so Joseph fled with him to Egypt and stayed there until Herod died (Matthew 2:13 - 23).

(b) No. The family fled nowhere. They calmly presented the child at the Jerusalem temple according to the Jewish customs and returned to Galilee (Luke 2:21-40).

Contradiction #121

When Jesus walked on water how did the disciples respond?

(a) They worshipped him, saying, "Truly you are the Son of God" (Matthew 14:33).

(b) "They were utterly astounded, for they did not understand about the loaves, but their hearts were hardened" (Mark 6:51-52).

References:

101 Clear Contradictions in the Bible by Shabir Ally

http://islaminfo.com
http://www.quranspeaks.com

The Quraan and the Bible in the Light of Science by Dr. Zakir Naik
http://www.irf.net/irf
Wassalam,
SA