IMPORTANT BOOKS AND READINGS

Reviews and recommendations on important books about Quran, Islam, Science, History and Life itself.
Our Beacon Group

Post by Our Beacon Group »

Here all Links to important and interresting Books and readings will be posted.
Our Beacon Group

This book takes away and disproves all traditional claims that we must follow any books or information outside of the Quran as Revelation.

The Authority of Al-Qur'an

PREFACE

In this work, I have explained the various misapprehensions concerning the Qur’an which are prevailing among those who identify themselves as Muslims and consequently, their rectification by Qur’anic evidence. The fundamental reason for the origination of these misconceptions is that in the present age, the Muslims have themselves given up the divinely imposed duty of intellectual analysis of the Book of Allah and instead have become blind followers of the teachings of the sect in which they are born into and consider whatever the Clergy feeds them, to be the absolute truth, without verifying whether or not the faith they have inherited or have been tutored to accept has been sanctioned by the Book of Allah.......

-
Our Beacon Group

This book will show the history of the Prophet Jesus and proves that his second coming and ascension to Heaven are forged stories, probably made under the influence of converted Christians.

'Rediscovering the Realities of Jesus'
his crucifixion, resurrection, ascension and celibacy

Preface
The Human Quest…
Discovering, and at times rediscovering, aspects of Reality is an integral part of human life. It is a process by which persons acquire higher or better knowledge of things. The quest to discover higher knowledge about the Supreme Being or for some, knowledge of the Real Nature of the unknown, is defined as Gnosticism. This often-misunderstood word, derived from the Greek word gnosis, simply means “knowledge”. The human quest to understand better Supreme Realities begins at the very moment we commence serious contemplation of surrounding mysteries, within and without ourselves. None of us can afford to close the doors of gnosis that may lead us to knowledge of the root cause of our own existence upon this earth. Between the second and sixth centuries, the theologians of the Catholic Church denounced Gnosticism. For them it was a kind of foreign religion in competition with their own. Any quest to discover the “Creator” and/or His Nature from sources outside of the Church’s prescribed documents was pronounced as “heretical”.
----
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Salaam,

Friends, AHadith are wrongly pronounced as inseparable part of the Deen of Islam. Six different editions of Hadith are considered to be the most authentic by the Sunniites and are called 'Sahaa Sitaa.' The Shiites have their own collections that are different from Sunniites.

Who wrote these books? what is their role in dividing Ummah? Are they really iseparable part of Deen? WHAT is their ACTUAL STATUS Indeed? And the answers of many of your other questions...

A thought provoking book by the great Allama Parwez:

Muqaam-e-Hadith (The Actual Status of Hadith)

Introduction:

"You question any Muslim today as to how would he define the system or 'DEEN' of Islam. Without any hesitation we are replied that, 'Islam is a compound of the Holy Quran and Hadith.' The indoctrination of this reply is so deep down in our hearts, we do not have the faintest notion of doubt about it when answering, no matter how glaringly self-contradictory the myth may appear to us. The important question is, the myth or story we take so much for granted, the sentence we speak everyday with so much confidence and strong conviction; has it ever been brought to our personal scrutiny and examined by rationale, before being accepted by us? Or do we accept, merely because it has traveled down to us through many, many generations. If that does not happen to be the case, then let us have the courage to face the culmination of the ancestral paths we have chosen.

By rationalizing our belief we are obtaining dual advantage. If the myth or cliché stands the scrutiny of our cognizance, then it shall become more profound and ingrained in our minds and close to our heart beats, otherwise we will know, we relinquished a myth that was nothing else but a rigmarole of someone's fantasy. Even more so, it will open our eyes to the fact that our belief was based on sheer custom. The process of cogent reasoning when accepting any statement is also reaffirmed by the Holy Quran that characterizes momins as:

And those who do not fall (forsaketh reason) for these ayats (Allah's words) like the dumb and deaf. 25:73

Reasoning also coincides with one of the postulates of the Holy Quran, wherein is said:

Do not follow that of which you knoweth not; remember, your sense of sight, hearing and cognitive capabilities will be questioned. 17:36"

-May Allah Increase Us In Knowledge
Our Beacon Group

Here is a free download on Maurice Bucaille's book on the Origin of Man based on the Quran.

Here his book Bible,Quran and Science.

These 2 books are very important and were and are groundbreakers on how true the claims are of the Quran when it comes to scientific claims made in verses. A must read for every Muslim and non-Muslim.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Kitab-ul-Taqdeer (Book of Destiny)

"This book is intended for those who wish to understand the problem of Destiny through the Quran. Hence, it contains no philosophic or linguistic discussions. I have tried to explain one of the most complex problems in a simple way, through the Quran. Also, I have tried to keep its style as simple as possible, though it is difficult to change one’s writing style, especially during one’s twilight years. The extent of my success can only be judged by the reader - Allama G A Parwez"

by G. A. Parwez
translated by Khalid M. Sayyed

Review
Translator Note
Introduction
Chapter 01: The Backdrop
Chapter 02: The Concept of God
Chapter 03: Man
Chapter 04: The Law of Requital
Chapter 05: Tragedies and Afflictions
Chapter 06: Fate of Nations
Chapter 07: Good and Evil
Chapter 08: If...Then
Chapter 09: How did it All happen?
Chapter 10: The Law of Divine Will
Chapter 11: (mis) guidance
Chapter 12: Does Allah Control Sustenance?
Chapter 13: Does Allah Exalt or Degrade Whomever He Wishes?
Chapter 14: Does Allah Forgives or Punishes Whomever He Wants?
Chapter 15: Is the Moment of Death Pre-Destined?
Chapter 16: Oh! Poor Unfortunate Soul
Chapter 17: Prayer
Chapter 18: The Summary
Appendix
Mahmood Qasmi

Post by Mahmood Qasmi »

I thought I might add these books as well:

Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam (Allama Iqbal)
Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam

Muqaddimah - Introduction (ibn Khaldoun)
Muqaddimah
Mahmood Qasmi
Toronto, Canada
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

A good movie on the Prophet Muhammed (s), although it contains some little mistakes. The global story is done beautifull, with interviews of Karen Amrstrong, converted Muslims, Muslims and so on.

The Legacy of the Prophet
Arnold Yasin Mol

Interresting article on what is exactly the punishment for theft in the Quran:

Theft Punishment in the Quran

His conclusion and how he attained is very intruiging.
Arnold Yasin Mol

A very nice article on the difference of status of women in different religions and compared to the Deen of the Quran.

Quran and the Liberation of Women
Arnold Yasin Mol

Here is my book on the word Jinn, what it means in Arabic and how it is used in the Quran. This book is only the first version. A new revised one will come soon inshAllah:

JINN AS UNDERSTOOD
THROUGH THE QURAN

It will show how the traditional approach has made the Quran mahjoor, immobilized and made to no account as a cow bound horn to leg.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Here is my small book on the concept of Jannah and Jahannam as shown by the Quran.

Djenna and Jahannam

"People are brought up with the concepts of heaven and hell, like it are physical places. But when you study the subject, it shows that this is an old idea which was taken in by the muslims. Most early commentators of the Quran, came from different backgrounds, Persian, Christian and so on, and took in their concepts of Djenna and Gehenna in the interpretation. Instead of letting the Quran explain itself, they already had a prenotion of the meanings. This preconcieved idea became the overall meaning, and has clouded the true meaning."

I hope I have accomplished to give a small glimps on the true meaning.

Here are 2 responses on this writing:

Dr. Shabbir:

Dear AY

>> When the believers go through trials, when they have experienced it, they will feel process of their Nafs. They experience the trial, the fitnah=purifying experience as a victory. Rejecters will experience their fitnah, lessons, as something bitter and as a defeat. So whatever you choose, the accept or reject, Allah has made the Creation as such that no one will escape the purification of his being. But a believer will experience it as something liberating, a rejecter as something entrapping him. <<

I have been reading this fascinating thought all my life from different authors with inadequate references to the Qur'an. Where did you derive it from?

And:

Maurice Abdullah Buddin

Salam Dear Friends
What an absolutey wonderfull gathering seems to be taking place. Truly an enlightening article.
Allah bless you all.
Life student
Maurice Abdullah Buddin
alaikum salam
Arnold Yasin Mol

Here is my book on the rejection of miracles in the Quran and how the stories of the Prophets must be understood:

The Evolution of Thinking

Here is the introduction from the book:

"A lot of times person ask me why I don't believe the Quran supports supernatural miracles. Why do I translate them so differently? Well we have to bring in Psychology and the Arabic into this. One person asked me:

"If you claim Islam and the quran can be explained in an empirical scientific way then you do away with one of the core ideas of religion (and 99% of Islam.) by promoting disbelief in the 'supernatural'......"

Indeed a good question, so let's see what were the factors involved with the Quranic interpretations. The idea that Islam must believe in a God that supports the supernatural is wrong. But in the last 1400 years the belief in the supernatural dominates Islam. How can this be? There are 2 factors involved which I’ll discuss. First of all, this is normal, as most people in that those times were in a mythological phase of thinking. Their concept of power or divinity was connected by miracles and the supernatural as they themselves understood little of the creation. Because they didn't see the world and the whole universe as evidence enough for Allah's power, they demanded things that went beyond their direct doing.
The thing is, it is not that God cannot do it, the question is, will God do it? Throughout the Quran, God says that no miracle will convince people and that He will not break His laws. This includes the Laws of Nature. Throughout the Quran, God refers to reason and observation, we have to look at the creation, at our own bodies, how miraculous everything works and fits. God has the power to do anything, this is not being questioned. If we are truly convinced by miracles is the question. Do we need them to believe? Does this make our believe in God's power less? Does this makes the power and intelligence that was involved to create the universe less? When I talk with people about the verses being translated wrong and are twisted into miracles, they always end up with: 'Don't you believe God can do these things?'

And then we finally end up at the question why people defend miracles. It is because their God's image is based on a supernatural God. Instead of God being present direct here in all that exists, He having create all that exists through such precise Laws, on slight deviation and we would not be here. They do not base God's power on the creation itself, but on breaking the laws they cannot break themselves."

Dr.Shabbir's comments:

I could read only 10 pages last night - too many phones!
But wow! - it's marvelous X 10 - will finish reading tonight

He didn't change his mind after finishing it either.

And M.Qasmi. His reaction is exactly what I tried to achieve by writing this book. I hope it will cause the same with you:

Hey,
To start with, I think it is a brilliant piece of work...

You know what scares me most?

1) What would I have demanded from our exalted prophet, had I been a common man of that time and met him trying while to understand God's message?

2) All my knowledge and understanding of the universe and man's history kept aside, where does my intellect stand when it comes to absorbing a supernormal message? The Quran is Mubeen, yes, but one needs to have a certain threshold of knowledge and intellect , or at least be a bit susceptible to it. One cannot be so without knowledge at least, and to be able to process that knowledge effectively.

Mahmood
Our Beacon Group

Salam Aleikum,

Here is very interresting book by MA Malek:

A Study of the Quran

It is a very important read on how to approach and study the Quran. We highly recommend you all in reading this work.

Here is the introduction:

"A Study of the Qur'an
The Universal Guidance for Mankind.
By Mohammed Abdul Malek.
Synopsis:

This book makes the following claim: the Qur'an is a book of universal guidance for the whole of mankind. This statement will appear dogmatic to many people – particularly to non-Muslims. This study is an attempt to justify this claim through presenting the teachings of the Qur'an afresh and in the context of the claims it makes both for itself, and with regard to our human lives, both as individuals and as a collective entity.

Any serious study of the Qur'an must include knowledge of Arabic since it is only by this means that we can approach an understanding of those verses which have been mistranslated due to tradition, prejudice, or lack of knowledge of established scientific facts. In approaching this book, therefore, it is crucial to have a mind prepared to judge the facts on their own merits.

While the treatment of the topics covered in A Study of the Qur'an is by no means exhaustive, it is hoped that this book will be a valued starting point for the genuine student who wishes sincerely to consider the Holy Qur'an as a source of guidance for his or her life."
Our Beacon Group

Article on Hadith by Muhammed Asadi:

Rational inquiry into Hadith

Introduction:

"HADITH ARE THEY AUTHENTIC??
Hadith are the various traditions contained in specific books, believed in by the majority of Muslims to be the sayings of the prophet Muhammed. These in the major part are extra Koranic, i.e from outside the Koran. They either contradict or add to the Koran. They are sometimes presented by Muslims as an explanation of the Koran or as an integral part of Islamic law, even though they are not confirmed by the Koran.
A minority among the Muslims do not accept the various books of Hadith as being an accurate representation of what the prophet Muhammed said. They take the Koran as Criterion (Furqaan in Arabic), according to the Koran's own claim (2:185), accepting only those hadith which the Koran confirms and attests in totality. I represent that view in this paper."
Our Beacon Group

The explanation of the word As-Salat in the Quran by Alamma G.A. Parwez. Its meaning given by the Arabic dictionaries and how the Quran uses it:

Explanation of the word As-Salat
Our Beacon Committee

Post by Our Beacon Committee »

Link to:

khutbat-e-Ahmadiyah, by Sir Syed Ahmed Khan R

Arnold Yasin Mol

I have collected my explanations and others of my articles on PDF:

Short Articles of Arnold Yasin Mol
Arnold Yasin Mol

Important quotes on Islam from Alamma Muhammed Asad, collected on PDF:

Muhammed Asad on Islam
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Quran Words

Only 2000 distinct words in Quraan:

An excellent guide to lead you to the basic understanding of the Quranic Arabic. All you need to do is… SPEND 5 to 10 MINUTES PER DAY and inshaAllah WITHIN A YEAR you will have the basic understanding of most of the Quran. Is that not an effort worth Investing!

It may be emphasized here that there are around 80,000 words in the Qur’an but the actual words are only around 2000!!! This could also be termed as one of the many miracles of the Qur’an. Accordingly, if a reader decides to learn only 10 new words everyday, he can understand the basic message of the Qur’an within a period of seven months! So it is indeed very easy to understand the Qur’an, provided one is willing to learn it. These statistics should give you a strong push to go ahead and continue memorizing till the end of this book, inshaAllah.

SET-1 SET-2 SET-3 SET-4 SET-5 SET-6 SET-7 SET-8

A Sample:

Source of above Work