IMPORTANT BOOKS AND READINGS

Reviews and recommendations on important books about Quran, Islam, Science, History and Life itself.
Ahmed Mateen

Post by Ahmed Mateen »

Word for Word Quran - English Language

It may be emphasized here that there are around 80,000 words in the Qur’an but the actual words are only around 2000!!! This could also be termed as one of the many miracles of the Qur’an. Accordingly, if a reader decides to learn only 10 new words everyday, he can understand the basic message of the Qur’an within a period of seven months! So it is indeed very easy to understand the Qur’an, provided one is willing to learn it.

Even though there are many translations of the meanings of the Qur’an, they do not help the reader in linking the Arabic words to their meanings. The only purpose of this word-for-word translation is to facilitate learning the language of the Qur’an. Even though a few word-for-word translations exist but the format of the present work is different from them.

Sample:

by courtesy of Dr. Shehnaz Shaikh
tammyswofford

Post by tammyswofford »

I just purchased a book via mail titled:

Islamic Rulings for Incarcerated Muslims. It is a compilation of verdicts and rulings by various ulamaa of Ahlis-Sunnah Wal-Jamaa'ah. (At least that is what it says)

Personally, I do not recognize the names of any of the (self-styled?) "Shaykh" listed on the back so not sure if the reading will be an accurate reflection of thought. I would feel more comfortable if there was a recognizable name.

Has anyone on the forum read this small book and if so does it rightly reflect the topic? Are there any other books on this topic?

Thank you.

Tammy Swofford
tammyswofford

Post by tammyswofford »

I apologize, readers. Last night I opened the aforementioned book and discovered it to be a first edition from May 2007. This thing is so new, that it is doubtful many have read it. Not sure how I got so lucky on this one.
Normally, I am dusting off books, instead of smelling the distinct freshness of a new page!

If you wish to read along it can be purchased at:
orders@tarbiyyahbookstore.com which publishes in Dallas, Texas.

For some reason there are two ISBN and I am not sure why, but here they are:

ISBN 10:0-9779581-5-8
ISBN 13: 978-0-9770581-5-0

It states this book is in cooperation with "Authentic Statements" so my guess it is geared to the Ahadith sciences. I read about four pages and laid it down. Too tired to read last night.

Tammy Swofford
Damon

Post by Damon »

Here is the link to another word-for-word Qur'an translation from Arabic to English. It is formatted a little differently from the one at emuslim.com

http://www.quraninenglish.com/cgi-local/pages.pl?/quran
UmeAimon

Post by UmeAimon »

Salam,

Alarms went off in my head and I stopped when I saw the name Bilal Philip :!:

jazakAllah
tammyswofford

Post by tammyswofford »

Salaam,

Yes, that would be the same Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips, I presume. I have a book of his from Tawheed Publications on my shelf. I have found it invaluable in some regards.

The book is interesting, giving me some insight which I did not have, and has some portions with which most of this forum would be in disagreement. Some of the Ahadith would certainly make "the A list" in a book such as that of Dr. Shabbir "The Criminals of Islam". They are not even in the Sahih category, rather dubious and should be discarded.

Of interest though to me, because as someone who is a guest in your community, there is much I do not understand culturally and constantly trip over my feet. So the small nuances I gain give me a better foothold to not be the proverbial "Ugly American" on tour. I do not consider myself a casual tourist.

It does have a section on "The Beard".... which has been an infamous and popular topic on this site in the past.... smile

Tammy Swofford
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

http://free-minds.org/books/evaluate.htm

In the Name of GOD, The Almighty, The All-Merciful

"We sent down to you THIS BOOK (the Quran) truthfully, authenticating all previous scriptures, and superseding them. You shall judge among them according to what is sent down from GOD (the Quran), and do not follow their wishes if they deviate from the truth.... You shall judge among them according to what is sent down from GOD (the Quran); do not follow their wishes, and BEWARE lest they divert you from that which is sent down to you from GOD (the Quran).... Would they seek the laws of ignorance? WHO IS BETTER THAN GOD as a law-maker, for those who sincerely believe?" (Quran 5:48-50)

"And the messenger will say, 'My Lord, my people have deserted THIS QURAN.' We thus set up against every prophet enemies who are wicked. Your Lord suffices as a guide and supporter." (25:30-31)
Arnold Yasin Mol

http://free-minds.org/books/shahroor.htm

The Book & The Quran
Dr. Mohammed Shahroor is a Syrian national who has been causing much controversy in the Middle East due to some of his publications.

In 1990, Dr. Shahroor published "The Book & The Quran" which took a very NEW look at GOD's holy book by trying to look within the Quran for answers to all of life's questions.

Dr. Shahroor's book has been banned from nearly all Arab countries with the exceptions of Lebanon, Syria and Egypt. More recently, Dr. Shahroor has been the subject of various television debates and interviews in which his book is examined and cross examined for all the controversy and shattering of traditions that it contains.

Below are excerpts from the book which we have translated at Free-Minds in order to bring non-Arabic readers with a fresh batch of ideas.

The Nature of the Book
The Straight Path
Quranic Limits
Women's Dress Code
Interest (Ribaa)
What is GREATER Than Salat?
Noah's Son is NOT Noah's!
Arnold Yasin Mol

http://free-minds.org/books/kassim.htm