New book: The Arabic Language

Reviews and recommendations on important books about Quran, Islam, Science, History and Life itself.
Arnold Yasin Mol

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

The Arabic Language
by Kees Versteegh

A general introduction to Arabic, which places special emphasis on its history and use. Charting the history and development of the Arabic language (mother tongue of more than 150 million speakers) from the earliest beginnings to modern times, the text concentrates on the difference between two types of Arabic: the Classical standard language; and the dialects. It offers the student a solid grounding in the structure of the language, its historical context and its use in various literary and non-literary genres, as well as an understanding of the role of Arabic as a cultural, religious and political world language. Intended as an introductory guide for students of Arabic, this book aims to act as a catalyst for discussions from historical-linguistic and socio-linguistic perspectives.

I found it very impressive in its honesty and how in 288 pages it describes all special matters on how Arabic developed, how it incorperated other languages, how the Quran used these, and how later on Arabic developed into Classic Arabic and then to Modern Arabic. It discusses the development of grammar and meanings on many keypoints.

As we discuss the Arabic language much here, and also speculate much, this book is a must have and I recommend it to everybody how wants to learn more about the Arabic language in an honest and very professional way. I see it as a must-have for Quranic research.
moonamir

Post by moonamir »

The Arabic Language
by Kees Versteegh

A general introduction to Arabic, which places special emphasis on its history and use. Charting the history and development of the Arabic language (mother tongue of more than 150 million speakers) from the earliest beginnings to modern times, the text concentrates on the difference between two types of Arabic: the Classical standard language; and the dialects. It offers the student a solid grounding in the structure of the language, its historical context and its use in various literary and non-literary genres, as well as an understanding of the role of Arabic as a cultural, religious and political world language. Intended as an introductory guide for students of Arabic, this book aims to act as a catalyst for discussions from historical-linguistic and socio-linguistic perspectives.

I found it very impressive in its honesty and how in 288 pages it describes all special matters on how Arabic developed, how it incorperated other languages, how the Quran used these, and how later on Arabic developed into Classic Arabic and then to Modern Arabic. It discusses the development of grammar and meanings on many keypoints.

As we discuss the Arabic language much here, and also speculate much, this book is a must have and I recommend it to everybody how wants to learn more about the Arabic language in an honest and very professional way. I see it as a must-have for Quranic research.