Genetic Predisposition

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
noman waseem

Genetic Predisposition

Post by noman waseem »

Salam Aleikum,

This is a controversial topic. I was recently in a discussion with someone who I’d rather not identify. While he convinced me that he is not a racist, he was attempting to make sense of why black people through out history have been oppressed more so than and have remained in an overall inferior position relative to for example white people. In a race to make sense of this, he applied what scientific information came his way and subsequently feels that black people are genetically inferior. He hasn’t read the whole Quran and thinks that there is a verse in there which says something along the lines of “Think about the diversity of colors among Humans”; I guess he was referring to:

30:22 And of His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the diversity of your tongues and colors. Herein, behold, are Signs for those who make best use of what they learn.

It’s the only verse I found that has any relevance, even though I can’t see how this supports his argument. Basically, his idea is that white people in general and Jews in specific are generally superior in intellect to non-white people and wonders if this is due to their genetic traits. Consequently, he wonders how this stands in line to the Quranic teachings of all humans being equal. Unfortunately, I got frustrated at the fact that he was making this argument and probably didn’t present my self as clearly as I would have liked. I am basically just curious how anyone here would respond to this argument.

Thank you for your time
Noman Waseem
Arnold Yasin Mol

Genetic Predisposition

Post by Arnold Yasin Mol »

Salaam Aleikum,

Your friend is ignorant on history. It seems he only looks back a 1000 years in History. Many great kingdoms and many ancient cities were created by the Africans.

They have built the most important wonders of the world, the Pyramids. The Egyptians were NOT Arabian in any sense. Their original name is Nubian and they were black. See:

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/ancientafrica.html

He probably, like most people, believe Egyptians were Arabian/Semetic, but this is certainly not the case.

Also Ethopia had a gigantic Christian kingdom which was very powerful. Also there are many ancient cities, one is around 8000-10.000 years old, who are huge, and were highly developed in culture.

Also to make the case more clear, we ALL descend from the FIRST humans, Adam, which comes from the word ADAMI, which means BLACKSKINNED MAN!

Does he dare to say our blessed ancestors were less intelligent?

Show him this and make him swallow his words, as it is his ignorance talking.

Racism is something an Iblis would say:

7:12 God said, “What stopped you from being subservient when I ordered you?” Iblis responded, "I am better than he. You created me from fire, and him from clay.” (Emotions are fiery in relation to sound judgment. The criterion of honor is not lineage, color, caste or nation. It is nothing but good conduct 49:13).

And this is a warning:

49:11 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! No folk shall make
mockery of other folk, for they may be better than they are. Nor shall any
women ridicule other women, for they may be better than they are. And
neither shall you defame one another, nor insult one another by nicknames.
Bad is the immoral name after attaining faith. And whoever turns not, such
are the wrongdoers.

ALL humans are born with and in dignity:

17:70 Now indeed, We have conferred dignity on the children of Adam (as a birth right, regardless of where the child is born). And provided them with transport on land and sea and given them decent things of life. And We have favored the humans far above a great many of Our creation.

2:27 [Just as there is One Creator, likewise mankind is but one Community.]
Those who break this ratified Bond of Allah and cut asunder the unity of mankind that Allah has commanded them to uphold - into races, colors, sects and regions, and thus lay the foundation of chaos in the Earth, those will be the losers in the long run. (9:33-34, 9:111, 10:19, 13:20-24, 31:28, 83:6, 114:1)

2:213 Mankind were once one single community. (But Satan, their selfish desire, divided them. 2:36, 10:19.) So, Allah sent Prophets as heralds of good news and as Warners, and with them sent the Revelation as the Absolute Truth in order to decide among the people in their disputes. But again, out of mutual rivalry, they divided among themselves although all evidence of the Right had come to them! Hence, Allah shows the Lighted Road, according to His Laws, to all those who would acknowledge the Truth, to resolve their disputes. Allah guides to the Straight Path of real success him who wills to be guided.

noman waseem

Genetic Predisposition

Post by noman waseem »

Salam Aleikum Arnold,

Thank you for your reply. Indeed, I did mention to him that Adami means blackskinned man and that we are all actually Africans in that sense. However he didn’t believe me and has this strange idea that Humans of all different skin types were simultaneously created. I told him that neither of us knows enough history to assume anything about the historical standing of any race, as well as that genes make individual differences, not group differences lest each race be a different species. As such, I am thankful for the bit of history that you have provided and will mention it to him.

Aleikum Salam
Noman Waseem