Does God have emotions?

All your questions to Our Beacon can be posted here.
matinbhagat

Does God have emotions?

Post by matinbhagat »

Salam,

I have read in the quran that God loves the doers of good and loves the believers in many verses, however at the same time I think that God is beyond human emotions.Hence, could someone explain to me what these verses imply when God says he loves us?or dislikes those who do evil?

Regards,
Jai
Inna lillahi,wa inna ilayhi ra'jiun
To God we belong,To Him is the return!
noman waseem

Does God have emotions?

Post by noman waseem »

Salam Aleikum,

First, please consider the following:

3:134 The candidates to this Paradise keep their wealth open for others in favorable as well as in adverse circumstances. They divert and sublimate their anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy, and become a source of tranquility and comfort to people. They pardon people gracefully. For, Allah loves the benefactors of humanity.

4:135 O You who have chosen to be graced with belief! Stand out firmly for justice, witnesses for Allah, even if it is against yourselves, your parents and your relatives, and whether the case is of a rich person or a poor person. Allah is nearer to them than you are; His Law comes first. Follow not your emotions lest you fall short of justice. If you distort your testimony or turn away from this Command, Allah is Aware of all your actions.

You may also want to consider reading about Allah's Yasha or Will at:

http://ourbeacon.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=501&highlight=yasha

There you will find that Allah's Will is different from the human concept of will.

I agree with your understanding; it is likely that Allah's emotions are different then the human concept of emotions. Allah is in no need to feel accepted by anyone, never experiences loss and thus no sadness, and never is He arrogant or surprised as to feel any unnatural level of elation. In a sense, Allah is at Perfect equilibrium with everything at all times, while humans are constantly adjusting their emotions as a reaction to their environment. Just stepping outside to the sun can make us happy for no particular reason while sitting home in a cold day with overcast can make us sad for no particular reason (except of course that it was the Will of Allah that such should occur).

Having said this, my understanding is that when He states that He loves those who do good, then Allah implies acceptance of believer’s service and, in general, the favorability of living in agreement with the Will of Allah. Similarly, one who lives in contradiction to the Will of Allah would not be loved by Him.

If you had a similar understanding and feel I just said a whole lot of nothing, than you may be looking too deep for a simple answer.
Noman Waseem
matinbhagat

Does God have emotions?

Post by matinbhagat »

salam brother norman..thanks for the information, i totally agree with your findings.

Regards,
Jai
Inna lillahi,wa inna ilayhi ra'jiun
To God we belong,To Him is the return!